It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Biggest Iceberg On the Move Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I had totally forgotten about this drifting iceberg and had thought the story was over, guess I was wrong....

World's Biggest Iceberg Begins Moving In Antarctica After Running Aground In January

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- The world's biggest iceberg has begun moving nearly three months after it stopped its slow float toward colliding with a huge Antarctic ice tongue, New Zealand officials said Monday.

Known as B15A, the giant iceberg, a remnant of a Ross Ice Shelf fracture in 2000, is now moving slowly northward out of McMurdo Sound, where it had been blocking sea access, Antarctica New Zealand chief executive Lou Sanson said.

He said the iceberg is moving just over a half-mile a day.

Earlier, B15A, which is 1,200 square miles and contains enough water to feed the River Nile for 80 years, was expected to smash into the ice tongue, possibly cracking it apart.

"We know very little about what makes this thing tick. Every time someone has made a prediction about it, they've been proved wrong," Sanson said.

there's more to the article above..

Looks like this iceberg doesn't pose any danger anymore (correct me if I am wrong)

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Oh.

I thought this story was about an ex-wife.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
no it realy shouldn't be a problem unless of course the ss titanic is steaming by
wonder where it will go as this thing is gonna take forever to melt. it could cause some shipping concerns but with radar (or due to it's size anyone with eyes) it should be easily avoidable. man it must be huge. 1200 square miles i wonder how tall it is.

one other thing thats gonna put a heck of a lot of water into the ocian when it melts.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I gather there are even the potential for climatic effects as the huge object moves around. This is the size of a small country....

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It has the potential, if melted, to raise sea level an inch or three, doubtful it could do any more. Now, if the Western shelf of Antarctica were to melt, we'd be seeing several feet, and the corresponding loss of many coastal and island areas.

It seems to be skirting the edge of the ice tongue, and may not impact it at all. If it doesn't hit and get stuck, it will just slip out into the open ocean and melt in short order. If it does break off the ice tongue, then more icebergs will be able to egress every year, meaning more melting, less habitat for penguins, and probably rising temperatures in the Ross sea.

I guess we'll see eventually. But honestly, could this thing be moving any slowler?
I mean, c'mon..let's speed it up a little. Where's a coyote with a rocket booster when you need one?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If you mounted some massive engines on it, all the fuel etc could sit on the ice itself, you could drive it. Then you could move it to some dry area and use it as a water source.

Also if you landed on it could you claim it as your own?
If you did, could others demand you move it or pay reparations if it breaks anything

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This is one BIG chunk of ice.... But because it fractured off of an ice shelf that was already floating on the sea, and the bulk of the ice is below the surface, it won't add to the level of the ocean. Ice takes up more space than liquid water, so this should be a non issue as far as melting is concerned. The only issue might be a reduction in salinity to the surrounding area as it melts.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Ah, yes, good old B-15A.
Here's another thread about it, with updates about it being adrift again

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join