It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the Origins of Anti-government music?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I was just wondering about your opinions on anti-government music, specifically rock, such as the Sex Pistols, and what caused artists to speak against the gov't through their music. Any thoughts on the matter are welcome!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Here's an observation.

Sex Pistols were a manufactured boy band.

Their contemporaries The Crass came from a place where politics was the source of inspiration. Thatcherism was a relatively easy target, but they did it very well, and so did Gang Of Four.

When the flavor of contemporary politics is bad for the human condition, more people will tend to bring voice to it in song. But the protest movements of the 60s have largely given way to the tokenisms expressed by hip hop artists and the occasional poltical rally to help an ageing artist to re-emerge. Or have they?

[edit on 4-4-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Here's an observation.

Sex Pistols were a manufactured boy band.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

What's your rationale for saying this?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
That the Sex Pistols were a simple commercial exercise, developed and sold by Malcolm McLaren et al, from the punk attitude down to the designer safety pins and saliva. It's just music history.

Wheels and roundabouts. Two-chord punk evolved out of garage psych.

Do you have a different opinion? Do you somehow believe that the Sex Pistols were at the forefront of some revolutionary political movement? Is John Lydon still part of that today?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
No, just looking for more info on this, I have never heard of this before? Any more details?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I bet if you google Sex Pistols and manufactured boy band you'll get a range of opinions.

The manufacturer is the best person to ask. Gepetto & Pinocchio allusions could abound but some would say Malcolm McLaren was himself manufactured. And that can go all the way to other fictional Almighty Creators.

Anyway, this isn't a bad topic. I wish there were more music enthusiasts who scratch a little below the surface.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Here ya go.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Remember, it's about the clothes, not the music.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Here ya go.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Remember, it's about the clothes, not the music.

I'm more punk than you

I'm not familiar with Malcolm McLaren, I take it he was the architect of the Sex Pistols?

But, I dont' see any indication that they were a manufactured boy band, other than the post someone put on that article.

Not that I don't think it could be true (BTW, were't the Beatles the original BOy Band?), it's just that this is the first time I've ever heard of it.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Illusions can be replaced with ugly and beautiful reality, if you choose to have it so. The Sex Pistols are The Monkees of the mid-late 70s.

"We're not the f***ing Clash, we're The Crass." (The Crass, on The Clash and The Crass).

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Davey Jones (of Mokees fame) lives near my hometown. It is amazing to see the number of people who payto see him when he performs locally, not that I ever have.

top topics

join