It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school: Moment of silence for Pope - but not Reagan?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
A little reality folks, these are both political figures, one religious the other a President. Many people revered both. Why the squabling? Because a certain school didn't give a prez a minute of silence. Politics again. Don't let this ruin your day.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Originally posted by Croat56
Oh and may I remind you of how he and Reagan got rid of communism?

I would think that Americans would be greatful that he helped bring down communism. Guess not.

If he's deserving of a moment of silence due to helping bring down communism than surely so was Reagan, as you admitted he and Reagan both contributed to this.

Reagan was the President of America, the Pope the leader of the Roman Catholic church. If they don't honour their former Presidents with a moment of silence in school, why should the leader of a church, which many Americans may not be part of, be honoures, in school .

It's not the place for it.

Hey its not my fault the school didnt do it for Reagan I never said they shouldnt have, infact they probably should have. Go complain to them about that to. Maybe you can ask for it on the anniversay of his death or something.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
He was the Spiritual leader for over 1 billion peole, and was one of the most influencial popes ever. 62% of the population of the US is catholic.

The very fact that a person could be upset that their child had to spend a minute (probably thinking about power rangers anyway) is a big deal. What are you upset about? The fact you child might have to learn about a man who traveled to over 100 nations and preached peace throughout the world.

However, during black history month, it is OK for your child to learn about Malcolm X, a black self proclaimed militant who hated white people, right?

Political correctness and the want to fit in and be 'normal' will aide in the decline of light-hearted conversation and debate of controversial subjects.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The US has made a point of flying flags at half staff for many individuals whom the President/Congress (whoever) deems an important figure. This has nothing to do with religon and everything to do with recognizing the man and his accomplishments. I'm usually the one who beats the "separation of church and state" drum loudly but I can't figure out why this is a problem for so many. Yes, he was the pope but he was also a humanitarian, critic of communism and wielded significant influence in world politics. I am reminded of another great religious leader that the US chose to recognize by flying the flags at half staff - Martin Luther King.

Dr. King’s funeral services were held on April 9, 1968 at Ebenezer Baptist Church and on the campus of Morehouse College, with the President of the United State proclaiming a day of mourning and flags being flown at half-staff. The area where Dr. King is entombed is located on Freedom Plaza and is surrounded by the Freedom Hall Complex of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site.

Bleys.

[edit on 4/4/05 by Bleys]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
He was the Spiritual leader for over 1 billion peole, and was one of the most influencial popes ever. 62% of the population of the US is catholic.

The very fact that a person could be upset that their child had to spend a minute (probably thinking about power rangers anyway) is a big deal. What are you upset about? The fact you child might have to learn about a man who traveled to over 100 nations and preached peace throughout the world.

However, during black history month, it is OK for your child to learn about Malcolm X, a black self proclaimed militant who hated white people, right?

Political correctness and the want to fit in and be 'normal' will aide in the decline of light-hearted conversation and debate of controversial subjects.

To START with, I debate your equation that 62% of the US is Catholic. 26% might be more apt. Did you forget about Protestants? Plus immigration has brought in other religions as well.

BTW, what's wrong with political figures such as Malcolm. More of an impact on American history than a Polish pope that reigned from Rome.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You're kidding, right?

The Pope is a saintly figure to the world. Reagan wasnt. Period.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

62% of the US population may be catholic, but I would say that only 25% of this area is. There is a LARGE Jewish population as well as a substatantial islamic population. The fact we pay tribute to the Pope goes back to the fact he is the *Catholic* leader. If he wasn't, there would have been no moment of silence. If a high ranking Islamic person lived such a great life and passed, schools would NOT have moments of silence. In theory, they should, but in reality, they wouldn't. And because of that, the school is in effect saying catholicism is better/more important than the other religions of the world. For a government run institution to do that is wrong.

Edit: I just found statistics and your numbers are way off. According to this site, the US religions breakdown as: Protestant 52%, Roman Catholic 24%, Mormon 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 1%, other 10%, none 10% (2002 est)

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Cutwolf]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
We can argue statisitcs. sorry, that was a figure for Christians, not Catholics. They are around 25%. Wow, amazing, another argument over statistics. I transposed a number. I was trying to make a point, that this is a large part of America that is Catholic. This was not the elected pastor of TV evangelists people.

1.We have no idea if there would be a moment of silence if a major Islmaic leader died, however kids get out for Ramadan,etc and I don't remember Paddy O'Malley on that plane that hit the trade center either, but a lot of Catholics died trying to save people.

BTW, what's wrong with political figures such as Malcolm. More of an impact on American history than a Polish pope that reigned from Rome.

How much impact did he, Malcolm X have on the world, except to tell balck people to kill cops and white people. ? Are you actually tyring to put Malcom X next to the Pope???WTF

Are you a black Muslim, or a democrat, because if not, you missed your calling....

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

We can argue statisitcs. sorry, that was a figure for Christians, not Catholics. They are around 25%. Wow, amazing, another argument over statistics. I transposed a number. I was trying to make a point, that this is a large part of America that is Catholic. This was not the elected pastor of TV evangelists people.

1.We have no idea if there would be a moment of silence if a major Islmaic leader died

Oh please, I know you're not that naive. With the times and stereotypes the way they are, common sense tells you that there would be none.

And pointing out a 37% error isn't arguing over stats it's pointing out a complete error that changes the argument quite a bit.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Common sense has taught me that anything is possible.

I was using the statistics as reference, not as arguement. Get over it.

The point is, give me one good,solid reason why there should not have been a moment of silence for this man. He was a spiritual leader to over 1 billion people and preached love and peace, no war, and you would not want your child to know who he is?

[edit on 4-4-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
the US religions breakdown as: Protestant 52%, Roman Catholic 24%, Mormon 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 1%, other 10%, none 10% (2002 est)

Well it proves I know what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by intrepid
To START with, I debate your equation that 62% of the US is Catholic. 26% might be more apt. Did you forget about Protestants? Plus immigration has brought in other religions as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
the US religions breakdown as: Protestant 52%, Roman Catholic 24%, Mormon 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 1%, other 10%, none 10% (2002 est)

Well it proves I know what I'm talking about.

No need to gloat

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It proves you can google wise ass, and there is no need to gloat. I transposed numbers, OK?

However, Not one of you can make a good arguement as to why it should not have occured. Soon someone will blame it all on Bush.....

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

It proves you can google wise ass, and there is no need to gloat. I transposed numbers, OK?

However, Not one of you can make a good arguement as to why it should not have occured. Soon someone will blame it all on Bush.....

Want a good reason? Moment of silence for a religious figure is disrupting the learning process of all students, whether or not they are of that religion. Even if they don't have to pay their respects during that moment of silence, their learning process is still being interrupted for something the majority might not even agree on.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I Googled # pal, I used the sense of reason. Something sorely lacking in this day. Bush?......I like Bush. OH, you're talking about a politician. I still like bush. Pfft.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
How is staying silent for 1 lousy minute out of a 6-7 hours school day disrupting the learning process? Please im starting to think your prejadice.

[edit on 4/4/2005 by Croat56]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm sure more alot of people would have refused to give reagan a moments silence... i'm not in the USA so its not my issue, but i know alot of people in the US who thought reagon was a bad president. The pope, in my opinion, definately demands more respect than reagan did... and yes the dalai lama should as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
I'm sure more alot of people would have refused to give reagan a moments silence... i'm not in the USA so its not my issue, but i know alot of people in the US who thought reagon was a bad president. The pope, in my opinion, definately demands more respect than reagan did... and yes the dalai lama should as well.

The President demands more respect than the Pope simply because the President was the leader of our country.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
A world where where we can say nothing about a man just because he was the leader of a religion. A world where freedom of speech is kicked out the door. A world where a great man has died and we can say nothing about him. Isnt that a great world we should all try to work for?(sarcasm)

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

A world where where we can say nothing about a man just because he was the leader of a religion. A world where freedom of speech is kicked out the door. A world where a great man has died and we can say nothing about him. Isnt that a great world we should all try to work for?(sarcasm)

Ah, the good old Straw Man.

In a PUBLICLY funded PUBLIC STATE RUN school, the principal does not have the right to force students to honor a moment of silent for someone because they're an important religious figure. And face it, if the Pope wasn't a religious figure, he'd still be a great man, but definitely not anywhere near as known nor would he receive a moment of silence.

How is staying silent for 1 lousy minute out of a 6-7 hours school day disrupting the learning process? Please im starting to think your prejadice.

Actually, from the time the principal started speaking to the end of the moment of silence it was 1:54. That's 4 minutes down the drain. It was in honors calculus class in the middle of preparing for a quiz. A lot could have been explained in those 4 minutes.

And if a disruption is deemed inconsequential because it didn't occur long enough, then why is it students can get suspended/detention for one small outburst?

Also, let me ask you - how long ago did you graduate from high school? If you can think back to it, you know that once students are interrupted and order is disturbed by an outside source, it is extremely hard to regain their attention right away. Especially 6 minutes away from the final bell for the day ringing? Not gonna happen.

Those 4 minutes of calculus that were interrupted were 4 minutes that I could have used to ask my teacher questions about the material that would be covered on the quiz. But alas, because a catholic died, everyone must suffer.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join