It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds launches their 'McAfrika' burger...Corporate idiots

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
there've been a few african recipes that i've found half decent, and i've been known to stop at a Micky-D's from time to time, so, put 2 and 2 together, and you get on potentially tasty and convenient treat for your truly!

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
What's the big deal? If the sandwich is based on African recipies, why not call it McAfrika?

This is a tempest in a teapot created by leftists who use every opportunity to bash business.

I hate McDonald's and only darken their doors when I'm travelling and need a restroom, but this "scandal" is a crock of bovine excrement.

[edit on 05/4/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This is a tempest in a teapot created by leftists who use every opportunity to bash business.

I can't believe you've called me a leftist, but that's beyond the point. I'm not using this opportunity to bash business. Not by any means, business is good. I'm using it to point out the inherent flaws that exist within The Corporation. I encourage people to look at the rest of my initial post before commenting.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
im glad you found my mcjew comment funny man. glad i could make ya laugh.

I dont think it is that big of a deal i just have to laugh because seriously its really an idiotic move...but then again bad news is good news i guess. Either way im not much of a MC eater....i like burger king personally...those angus bacon cheddar ranch burgers....omg delicious...and no im not fat or a glutton...skinny chics get cravings too LOL

KIND REGARDS,
DIGITAL GRL

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I can't believe you've called me a leftist, but that's beyond the point. I'm not using this opportunity to bash business. Not by any means, business is good. I'm using it to point out the inherent flaws that exist within The Corporation. I encourage people to look at the rest of my initial post before commenting.

I was referring the the Norwegian individual about whom the article was written, but if the shoe fits....

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much... the guy who wrote that add probably got called a mcjackass by his boss and mcfired.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Now Grady, I have to say that is kind of a broad generalization that is nothing more than an ignorant stereo type. I am Liberal, definatly more left than right, and I would buy one of these burgers if MD ever released it in the states. It looks pretty good to me. The complaint has nothing to do with Left or Liberalism. It has to do with Simulacras disdain for corprate ethics. Nothing party affiliative about it.

[edit on 4/7/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
MCafrika,
SO WHAT??? (unless we're talking bushmeat burgers)

McMexico, McItaly, MCchina...

Would it be ok to sell something based on those cuisines?
IF people were starving, or oppressed in any of those countries would it still be ok? I think YES..

Actually, I'll bet there are people starving in all the above countries, some more than others.

Hyper knee-jerk reaction to a food item..

My mother would have said something like
"Spacedoubt, eat ALL of your Mcafrika, remember there are people starving in China"

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Now Grady, I have to say that is kind of a broad generalization that is nothing more than an ignorant stereo type. The complaint has nothing to do with Left or Liberalism. It has to do with Simulacras disdain for corprate ethics. Nothing party affiliative about it.

My observation has nothing to do with Simulacra or you, so don't patronize me. My comment referred to the Norwegian politician who made a political issue out of a ground beef sandwich.

The following article does a good job of putting the situation in the proper perspective:

Instapundit.com

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

What's the big deal? If the sandwich is based on African recipies, why not call it McAfrika?

I hate McDonald's and only darken their doors when I'm travelling and need a restroom, but this "scandal" is a crock of bovine excrement.

Grady, I agree with you 100%. Actually, do you think you would try this new sandwich because it looks a lot healthier than the usual fare?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I might try the McAfrika, if I were stranded and starving and a McDonald's was the only restaurant available. The fact is that McDonald's makes my skin crawl and I can only stand to be in one for as long as it takes me to take a leak and bolt for the door, but this feeling is not to be confused with the sentiment of some who despise the existance of McDonald's. I recognize their right to do business, but not with me.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

The fact is that McDonald's makes my skin crawl and I can only stand to be in one for as long as it takes me to take a leak and bolt for the door

Grady, what if you have to stay a little longer, say to do No.2? Can you handle it?

Also, do you think it's some kind of phobia, or what are other reasons for the way you feel?

but this feeling is not to be confused with the sentiment of some who despise the existance of McDonald's.

And what do you think would be the basis for such sentiment?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I've never done #2 in a McDonald's, so I don't know.

My aversion to McDonald's has grown over the years. At first, the fact that I could get a hamburger for $.15 was appealing, even if they were "bare bones" (meat, bread, "special sauce," pickle).

As the years went by, I always preferred my burgers with lettuce and tomato, which is something that McDonald's seems to find abhorrent (e.g., Big Mac: two all beef patties, "special sauce," lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame-seed bun), as they have never consistently offered such a sandwich.

Later, the quality of the help became a factor (slow-moving, barely literate, insolent slobs) and the utter chaos that reigns at the counter when trying to place an order (five registers and five lines, instead of five registers and one line) . Add to that, seats that are so uncomfortable that you can't stand to sit (stand to sit?) for more that five minutes and a gillion rug-rats rampaging throughout and you have nervous breakdown brewing.

I don't know if you have Whataburger in New York, but they still make a burger the way they were commonly made when I was growing up and I love them even if I rarely eat them.

I'd rather go to a small mom and pop restaurant with padded booths or a counter any day and take my chances than to go to a McDonald's and get uniform, predictable, crap and chaos.

Grady:
but this feeling is not to be confused with the sentiment of some who despise the existance of McDonald's.

Aelita:
And what do you think would be the basis for such sentiment?

You should know the reason for that better than I do, but I would suspect it has something to do with large, successful, multinational corporations and whatnot.

Otherwise, you may feel free to enlighten me.

[edit on 05/4/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

You should know the reason for that better than I do, but I would suspect it has something to do with large, successful, multinational corporations and whatnot.

Otherwise, you may feel free to enlighten me.

Hmm, I think it's becase in the end people experience all the unpleasantries you so vividly described, and McD is still, as you say, a large corp and successful and all. Maybe some feel that feeding crap to people and still being successful is not deserved? Until Microsoft software finally started being only moderately frustrating, people felt the same way about MS.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well, my point is that McDonald's is wildly successful because they sell "billions and billions" of hamburgers, so someone must find the experience satisfying and for all those people, I am glad McDonald's is there. It leaves more room for me in the more traditional-style eateries.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Well, my point is that McDonald's is wildly successful because they sell "billions and billions" of hamburgers, so someone must find the experience satisfying and for all those people, I am glad McDonald's is there. It leaves more room for me in the more traditional-style eateries.

Next time I'm in NM, you should show me a good diner

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Okay. We have a very diverse range of options here, from Mexican to Chinese, to Indian, to Italian, to Greek, to Vietnamese, to good old American and a pleasant, cordial dining experience to be had in all.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

]

My observation has nothing to do with Simulacra or you, so don't patronize me. My comment referred to the Norwegian politician who made a political issue out of a ground beef sandwich.

Feathers a little ruffled there Mr. P? My statement was not patronizing at all. You did not clarify the statement you made and left it open to interpritation. What do you think everyone is going to think when they read that?
Now that was patronizing

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If McDonalds, which is a completely discusting place to stuff garbage, poisen, fat and sugar into your system, WAS going to make a burger based on African "recipies" (which generally makes no sense, because it's a huge continent with a huge spectrum of people), then there would be NOTHING they could call it that would not call attention to the fact that they are making money and Africa is starving.

It's just not possible. What strikes me as odd, is that they would choose to create one in the first place. This seems meerly a focus group and researched idea for that place.

The problem with Africa is Africa and their relation to the world (and ours with them). It is not a McDonalds problem.

If you want "beef" with McDonalds, there is plenty more to go on.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
...then there would be NOTHING they could call it that would not call attention to the fact that they are making money and Africa is starving.

The reason McDonalds would intentionally create a McAfrika burger is beyond me. Why would 'African recipes' appeal to a Norwegian audience? Not only that but why would McDonalds specifically pick Norway as their target market for this burger? It's not as if they could make a considerable profit from this unique market in a country that actually shuns the activity of McDonalds and the corporate. From a business standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense.

The only reason McDonalds would release this burger would be to call negative attention to the corporation in which they were successful at doing so.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join