It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds launches their 'McAfrika' burger...Corporate idiots

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
This has nothing at all to do with the topic, but isn't Africa a CONTINENT, not a country??

Geez. You are right!

Egypt and Tunisia are parts of Africa. I bet there are some tasty recipes there! I love tunisian food.

I think the whol bruhaha makes no sense. Like PETA activists splashing paint on fur coats.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of a funny story. I used to live in Chicago, and they have an excellent Ethiopian eatery there, called Blue Diamond I think. I had a friend who lived nearby, and I was walking with him, past the place, on our way to get some ready-made pizzas at the supermarket.

As we're walking past, we saw the place (had never seen it before), and we both started laughing out loud. I said something like, "Ethiopian food? Since when do Ethiopians have food?" My friend replied with something along the lines of "Nah, they've got really tasty dirt. 40 exotic dirt dishes or something."

Ahhhh...guess you had to be there.

In any case, we tried it once, out of sheer curiosity, and the food was delicious. My favorite is still Indian and Japanese dishes, but Ethiopian food is damn good. The spongey bread is for the birds though.
Give ne nan any day.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
This has nothing at all to do with the topic, but isn't Africa a CONTINENT, not a country??

You are totally right with that...but McD. bashers find any reason to translate africa = starvation.
Lets just stop eating New York cut steaks because one might find a link to 911

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
I would hate to live in a country that controls what you can name a sandwich.

I heard there's a state that did - Kentucky. Didn't they have to remove it from the Kentucky Fried Chicken because the state decided to trademark their name? Could be rumor.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
more interesting than their standard McAmerica burger fare... fat, slothful, bland, sugary sweet overly processed crud.

LOL!
Looks like McDonalds did well in characterizing our own country!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think you guys are missing the point. Calling a burger McAfrika is completely, not about race. It's about a fragile economic/social region of the world whose people are starving and living of pennies a day contributed by others around the world.

Now don't get me wrong, the burger looks tasty. But it just seems as if McDonalds is capitalizing on this pitiful situation to make money (and granted this is the purpose of the corporation as pointed out by Nygdan).

The problem isn't really with McDonalds, the problem is with The Corporation.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I think you guys are missing the point. Calling a burger McAfrika is completely, not about race. It's about a fragile economic/social region of the world whose people are starving and living of pennies a day contributed by others around the world.

Now don't get me wrong, the burger looks tasty. But it just seems as if McDonalds is capitalizing on this pitiful situation to make money (and granted this is the purpose of the corporation as pointed out by Nygdan).

The problem isn't really with McDonalds, the problem is with The Corporation.

It just seems to me that you hate corporations regardless and that is another topic for discussion. as for the McAfrika, it looks like a North African burger I have had before. It has flatbread and meat with a kind of gravy on it but I don't think that there were any vegetables. I don't remember the name of it but it was quite tasty.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

All buisnesses are businesses obviously, but not all businesses are Corporations. Only corporations disperse their ownership to shareholders, it's the heart of a corporation. If a company is privately owned then they can feel free to implement their social/moral responsibilty but when a company becomes a corporation the sole purpose of it is to make money for the owners of the company. Anything else is malpractice.

Great story. Important points. ...Most private businesses are part of a community - and contribute to that community in a variety of ways. Corporations are really a parasitic breed apart - they take and take and give nothing back. Doesn't work.

...IMO - if McDonald's wants to commercialize a country or continent to make $$$ - then they SHOULD be prepared to take the heat on it. (Like it's okay for McDonald's to use Africa to make $$$, but it's not okay for people to speak out about starving Africans? ...
)

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Looking at that picture...

... It really looks like a "Tasty Burger" using flour tortillas instead of bread buns, although I would just substitue a large tortilla cause then you can wrap it like a burrito. Take the yeast out of the bread and it's a healthier flat bread sandwich.

Throw on some salsa, guacamole and sour cream and call it a McMexico Burger!

Or an McIllegal-Alien burger?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Somebody mentioned the McJew burger earlier, I thought that was hilarious.

I mean, why not? I personally would order one just to say I did. I'd even take a hearty bite and smile for the camera giving the 'thumbs up.'

It's just funny. Not earth-shaking, not entirely important, just funny.

I think they probably did this more for publicity than anything else. Everytime people protest, the corporations get richer, because their name is splashed all over the televisions and newspapers, and people become more deeply entrenched in brand recognition.

Noam Chomsky wrote an excellent piece, or rather, he did an interview for the April issue of "The Sun", and I suggest anyone who cares a damn about America check it out. It's very insightful, as we've come to expect from the man.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
as for the McAfrika, it looks like a North African burger I have had before. It has flatbread and meat with a kind of gravy on it but I don't think that there were any vegetables. I don't remember the name of it but it was quite tasty.

No vegetables? That sounds like a perfect sandwich for me. Where can I get one? Don't say McDonalds though, they use more saturated fat than meat

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
Throw on some salsa, guacamole and sour cream and call it a McMexico Burger!

Hey, I'm offended by the "Mexi-melt" at Taco Bell! There's no such dish in Mexico and it negatively characterizes some good friends of mine! Kidding, kidding...

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
Or an McIllegal-Alien burger?

If Mexico had jobs and you didn't (though have a hungry family), would you not chance it or wait 2 years for naturalization while starving to death?

[edit on 5-4-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Somebody mentioned the McJew burger earlier, I thought that was hilarious.

I mean, why not? I personally would order one just to say I did. I'd even take a hearty bite and smile for the camera giving the 'thumbs up.'

I'd get one if it was kosher because it'd be the only thing on the menu that was actually healthy. If it costs under 9 shekels, I'm there!

[edit on 5-4-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Here is some more news on the McAfrika, apparently the Norwegians came to some rather sane agreements with the megacorporation:

'Mac Attack' Produces Famine Aid
Stung by sharp attacks on its new "McAfrika" sandwich, McDonald's of Norway has agreed to print and distribute information about the famine in Southern Africa.

The fast food chain will also allow aid groups to put collection boxes inside restaurants where McAfrikas are sold and to promote their relief campaigns with tray liners and posters.

"We are very happy with the agreement we have reached with McDonald's," said Tarje Wanvik of the group Norwegian Church Aid. His and other aid groups met with McDonald's at the end of last week.

allafrica.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Oh God. Now people will feel weird eating at McD and reading on the tray liner that people in Africa are starving.

Why not put this message on every rock-n-roll and hip-hop station, and play it between the songs? Also, put stickers on every gas pump.

That's insane.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Saint4God
Last I heard, they used more meal worms than meat.

It's just convenient to eat there, and the addiction quotient is very high. The movie SuperSize Me did a pretty good job of explaining the reason McDonalds food is so popular. People feel good after they eat it, bad after they're done eating for a little while, and good the next time they eat it. The brain registers this even if your conscious mind doesn't.

McCrack. Mmmm..tasty. I can almost feel my arteries hardening.

I personally don't eat that crap. I wouldn't encourage anyone else to either.

Not that I think McDonalds is criminally responsible (they may be), I just think people need to excercise some common sense and self restraint. Oh yeah, and do a push up or two why don't ya'.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Saint4God
Last I heard, they used more meal worms than meat.

Oh. Are meal worms tasty and/or good for you?

I personally don't eat that crap. I wouldn't encourage anyone else to either.

Not that I think McDonalds is criminally responsible (they may be), I just think people need to excercise some common sense and self restraint. Oh yeah, and do a push up or two why don't ya'.

Good call.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Oh. Are meal worms tasty and/or good for you?

Yes. 'Meal' Worms are a high source of protien. A very healthy snack. You just have to overcome the aversion of eating a bug.............. Something I have not been able to do yet.

I watched a show the other day on the TLC that had people dipping fresh carmel apples into a box of mill worms. I thought to myself, "What a waste of good carmel!"

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I always enjoy your avatar pics Kidfinger! Reminds me of the wushu school I go to.

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Yes. 'Meal' Worms are a high source of protien. A very healthy snack. You just have to overcome the aversion of eating a bug.............. Something I have not been able to do yet.

I watched a show the other day on the TLC that had people dipping fresh carmel apples into a box of mill worms. I thought to myself, "What a waste of good carmel!"

I'm sure if you fried them up though, they'd be just like onion rings. I think I just had a franchise idea...
Look for Squiggle's Restaruant in a neighborhood near you!

[edit on 6-4-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Why not put this message on every rock-n-roll and hip-hop station, and play it between the songs? Also, put stickers on every gas pump.

Because rock-n-roll and hip-hop stations arent directly profiting from this corporate explotation .

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join