It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rail gun video!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Its actually called a mass driver but it has pretty much the same effect! I am thinking of building one of these machines myself, with a long enough rail a high velocity could be achieved it could make a very powerful weapon

www.intalek.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well, that's pretty cool stuff, love how it produces a nice blue flash...

The caliber seems a bit excessive, or is it just me?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You want to build one? You can buy one of these things here (Click here). The "gun" is actually a aluminum disk that is propelled by an electric coil. The initial speed is 300 fps, but drops off really fast due to the shape of the projectile. Shown below is the launcher with a cucumber on top. The shiny aluminum disk is the actual projectile.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Wow, if the enemy makes their tanks out of particle board, this will win the day!

Sorry, originally thought this was in Weapons forum, hehe....

Pretty neat little vid clip.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Wow, if the enemy makes their tanks out of particle board, this will win the day!

Sorry, originally thought this was in Weapons forum, hehe....

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Gazrok]

Sorry, to inform you, but your last shot went a little low.

The truth is that rail guns are being developed for the U.S. military. Check out the .pdf at this site:

Naval Rail Guns

From what I've read, a 'muzzle velocity' of between 2.5 and 6 km/sec would destroy a lot more than particle board. Heck, if possible, a piece of particle board travelling at that velocity would probably destroy a tank.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
What happens if the washer can not leave the end of the tube ? Does the whole assembly go into the air ?

Question what happens when you form metal on another planet or say inspace ? Does the natural "gravity" structure of the metal get charged with that planets "gravity" or in the case of space lack of gravity then when you bring that formed metal to another planet what is the effect if any ?

example Earth has a specific gravity and all things and materials thus created in Earth atmosphere are charged with Earth specific Gravity and depending on the type of material responds to a certain amount of stored value. Some materials like those of magnets or natural metal ore have higher values. What if material came to Earth from a different planet say with more "negative" gravity particles then positive, lets say Earth is more "positive" gravity particles then negative. Then since this material was naturally charged with more negative, then would it no be more likely to be repelled in the natural more "positive" gravity particle enviroment on Earth ???

Maybe what we are looking for in the way of Mag-Electro Power or anti G maybe it exists in a condition of state that we have yet to discover or quantify. Thus if we could identify if Earth was more "positive" gravity particles and could find a way to either energize or get (by manufacturing materials on another planet for example) materials that were more "negative" then we could use the Earths natural power source as an aid to Anti-G. This would then require very little energy input to effect large net gains, say in altitude or acceleration etc. The material could be naturally repelled out of Earths atmosphere, just like the mass launcher.

Think of it like this, have the metal washer on a table secured and the lube tube through a hole in the table so that instead of launching the washer up, we will use the same system to launch the tube away from the washer that is secured to the table. The washer itself is in its natural state until energized by the coil, but if the washer does not move then the launcher must move. And wala, the tube is in the air. Now you just need to find out how to adjust the repelling force so that instead of sudden acceleration you can vary the force to become a factor of distance instead of acceleration. You would need to modulate time and power. Apply this principal to the natural state of EarthsGravity particle charge and induce the opposite charge state with time and power modulation and you have your self and anti-G machine

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Also in the works by the navy is the oribital rail gun, same principle as an earthbound railgun, only much more destructive as the object falls from space penatrating anything in its path, and coated with depeleted uranium for added destructive force.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Metals made in gravitational fields arn't "charged" with gravity. Gravitational force can though effect an objects density but it is mostly the chemical makeup and structure that really determines it's build.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The device shown is more commonly known as a ring penetrator than a rail gun. They use similar concepts however the usefulness of a true rail gun or mass driver over a ring penetrator launcher is vast.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Also in the works by the navy is the oribital rail gun, same principle as an earthbound railgun, only much more destructive as the object falls from space penatrating anything in its path, and coated with depeleted uranium for added destructive force.

They even theorised about using iron-rich asteroids from near mars in these. Imagine, if an enemy pisses you off, they literally get wiped off the earth (problem is they are hard to aim and could kill the entire planet if you get it wrong). Would make a nuke looks like a firecracker!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Why can't we use this technology to turn a driveshaft, or a pump? Maybe a turbine? Goodbye Oil Companies!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We still cant get more out than we put in yet.

XL5

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It can't be used to take the place of gas because its still a greater input then output, its all about peak power/capacitors and high voltage. I have personally built a can crusher and disk launcher, the capacitor bank was a 4KV @ 400uF cap that I cant even lift (200-250lb).

Now if there was a way to switch a magnetic field on and off with very little energy, then no one would need gas ( we need oil for plastic/rubber).

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Sorry, to inform you, but your last shot went a little low.

Did you miss where I said it was a neat clip and gave a thumbs up?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
i dont see a use in this thing except amusement

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Can these things blast through concrete?

XL5

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yes, they can put a hole in almost anything, however they won't be hand held anytime soon (capacitor tech needs to advance more).

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo4Mike
i dont see a use in this thing except amusement

I bet the gattling gun seemed ''amuseing''....... until it started mowing people down

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
check out the rail and coil guns at www.powerlabs.org

they also have a story of when they were younger about shooting a golf ball at mach 2

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I wonder if this could be made to be larger and fitted onto a tank.

top topics

join