It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Gene-editing' technique cuts out diseased DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

"A gene-editing process that corrects mutations without weaving foreign genetic material into the chromosome has been demonstrated in diseased human cells for the first time. It could provide a less risky and more efficient alternative to gene therapy, which has resulted in leukaemia in some patients.

A team led by scientists at Sangamo Biosciences in Richmond, California, US, say they have corrected the single gene mutation that causes the fatal X-chromosome-linked severe combined immune deficiency (X-SCID) - or “bubble boy” disease - in human T-cells. They treated the cells in test tubes with the company’s proprietary type of “zinc finger nucleases” (ZFNs) and have published their results in Nature."

www.newscientist.com...

This is another truely amazing find. Perfect genetic control. Good or bad thing?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I would say it is a good thing if it can purge this dreaded thing that is in my body killing me

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by noctu
I would say it is a good thing if it can purge this dreaded thing that is in my body killing me

Problem, there is already a bill in the works to stop abortions if the 'gay" gene is found in the unborn. So now what about if the "gene" is fixed to eliminate the "gay" gene? Or how about changing the gene that relates to "race"?

Gene therapy to correct disease is great, but what's next?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
very interesting , i think technologies like this will soon make " real doctors " feel agitated . i'm a MED student , i wanna persue a career in biomedical research , any suggestions ?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tempogen
very interesting , i think technologies like this will soon make " real doctors " feel agitated . i'm a MED student , i wanna persue a career in biomedical research , any suggestions ?

I would specialize in bioweapons or genetic's. Duke, Harvard, or Univeristy of Texas Medical Branch would be a good place............

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

I would specialize in bioweapons or genetic's. Duke, Harvard, or Univeristy of Texas Medical Branch would be a good place............

Sure, bioweapons is what the world needs most at this time!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Sure, bioweapons is what the world needs most at this time!

Fact, there is significant research going on around the planet in biowar. Ignoring it will only get the planet killed. Perhaps this person can find a vaccine for the next unknown "ebola" virus that WILL be weaponized.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I personally wouldn't recommend a career in microbiology at this time due to the large number of microbiologists who have died under suspicious circumstances in the last 15 to 20 years

The reason why "modern" medicine is going towards the very dangerous concept of gene therapy is because, like drugs, it is something that intellectual property covers and so they can make money. I mean screw cheap alternative and more effective remedies that can't be exclusively owned, I mean why bother, there's no money in it.
The ill people can die, and sadly they do.

You have a problem with your stomach, heart, any organ whatever, hey let's cut it out and put an artificial one in or put you on a machine like a dalek or a borg. Yeah, wow, what progression. No, let's not look at the causes and the non-patentable neutralizers of the causes, nah, there's no money in it for us or the corporations. # em, they can die or become a robot with a short life, yeah, mmm, my bank account is looking good! Fancy the new Beamer dear, so do I! I'll get you one too. Did I become a doctor to heal people? Did I #! I became one for the money, for the security, for the prestige and nothing else. The odd brave doctor who joined the med field to "help people" soon becomes disillusioned and goes holistic, they all do, including dentists. (luckily, the number of disillusioned grows every day). The same can be saud for the other professions. Nobody does it because they have a genuine interest in it. Look at all the med, law, business, vetinary students they are all in it for the money.

If you don't believe moden medicine is the biggest con job of all time, second only to government, then I suggest you look at Dan Raber's work. You will be amazed.

www.cancerx.org...

Now ask yourself why every clinic in the land is not practising this. I will tell you why. Because for the last time, there is no money in it for everyone concerned.

Just to go off on a rant, you will begin to see now why we will never have extra-dimensional technologies. Hell, they threatened the man who invented a spark plug that never wore out for Christ sake. What hope do we have really? No, there will be no teleportation technology, nope, there will be no time travel, nope, there will be no technology that will reduce the world-wide money supply. Not a single one.
From typewriters to computers and its software. From the horse and cart to oil driven automobiles and planes. From herbal medicine to drugs. From organic farming to corporational farming. CAN YOU SMELL THE MONEY BABY! Boy, I sure can.

The problem with this mentality is that the more goods that are sold, the more damage occurs to the environment and the closer we come to total breakdown. How far are we away? Who knows. But we can only pray that enough people break away in time to prevent very real problems from occuring. (problems which money in your bank acount can not solve)
I imagine this will begin with major breaks in the food chain, soil degradation and / or natural fish stock depletion. Something on those lines.

Sry to break it to ya folks, but there will be no star trek technology. EVER! Awwwww
(Unless of course enough people change their hearts and minds. It is possible. The human experiment aint over yet!)

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Abandon your MD immediately!!! Hopefully your critical thinking skills haven't suffered too much already.
Upon abandoning your Med school, promptly enroll in a strong graduate program in Molecular Biology (Ph.D.).

As the Dr. Pointed out: The funding for biodefense is currently through the roof. Latch on to an advisor who's researching this stuff, and you're pretty much guaranteed funding for your entire Ph.D. Biodefense funded a post-doc of mine (wasn't big at the time though) currently funds my best friends lab, and is pretty much the sole source of funding keeping my current company afloat.

BTW, nice find DrH... will need to read this one!!!

[edit on 5-4-2005 by mattison0922]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Problem, there is already a bill in the works to stop abortions if the 'gay" gene is found in the unborn. So now what about if the "gene" is fixed to eliminate the "gay" gene?

Really? I hadn't heard about this. Do you have a link? Is this the classic 'Hamer' gay gene that's been debunked like a million times, even by Hamer himself. Hamer is a huge proponent of the rubbish currently known as biological determinism. For an interesting perspective on Hamer's beliefs, check out 'Living with our Genes,' then just for fun, read 'Not in our Genes.'

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
www.freerepublic.com...

The original citation is 'world net daily', and I first heard it on the daily show. In my mind, the daily show is more accurate.

Fun aside, the bill does appear to be real. I had gotten the impression (and, agian, this is from the daily show) that the bill presenter thought that there was a simple 'gay gene' out there, which is as you note probably quite mistaken. But he felt that steps should be taken to prevent any sort of discrimination, so I guess his heart is in the right place. Could be used as a precedent for not permitting future 'gene screening' abortions and the like.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
www.freerepublic.com...

The original citation is 'world net daily', and I first heard it on the daily show. In my mind, the daily show is more accurate.

LOL... Thanks for the link Nygdan.

Fun aside, the bill does appear to be real. I had gotten the impression (and, agian, this is from the daily show) that the bill presenter thought that there was a simple 'gay gene' out there, which is as you note probably quite mistaken. But he felt that steps should be taken to prevent any sort of discrimination, so I guess his heart is in the right place. Could be used as a precedent for not permitting future 'gene screening' abortions and the like.

This is extremely important, IMO. As you may or may not be aware, I am a huge opponent of anything even resembling eugenics, this includes prenatal genetic diagnosis coupled with abortion. I've said it before here lots of times, but I'll state it one more time for the record.

The value of ANY human life cannot be reduced to statistical probablities or predescribed genetic predispositions. Stephen Hawking is a great example of this.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Here here!

Heck, Einstein, famously, was a terrible math student (well, thats the legend anyway). What if there was some test that was able to figure that out in the future? "Oh no, little Al will never get ahead in life if he can't perform well on high school math, better abort and try again'.

Similarly, there's this, comming at it from the other end in a way.

People are going to start really seeing just how much genetics has changed ethics/humanity very soon.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Similarly, there's this, comming at it from the other end in a way.

People are going to start really seeing just how much genetics has changed ethics/humanity very soon.

I'd heard about this... I didn't really follow up on it though... pretty whacked if you ask me, but distinctly not in the realm of possiblities that I'd initially considered. Who'd of thought that people would actually want their children to be disadvantaged for their own selfish reasons? It just goes to show you that it takes all kinds to make to world go around.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I've already posted an ATSNN article regarding this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's a very interesting technology, but as with all technologies, there's as much potential for misuse as there is for its intended usage.

As has been pointed out previously in this thread, this technology could be used to wreak havok on our genetics. Cutting out the "gay" gene, changing the "race" gene. How about using this genetic technology to actually implant diseases as a form of torture, blackmail, or murder?

As a curative, the technology has a great deal of promise. However, if this technology does go into production, I feel that it really needs to be monitored closely as to is actual uses. As much potential as it has to heal, it has an equal amount of potential to harm.

This technology reminds me of the film Gattaca. Watch it (or watch it again) for some very real warnings on potential misuse of this technology.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The Gay-Gene Bill is not a national bill but a state of Maine Bill brought on by Brian Duprey

*Best I can tell this is political because Brian Duprey is a Conservative. I think he is doing this under the guise of gay rights as a step to outlaw abortions.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by BlackJackal]

new topics

top topics

join