Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

20 Posts For U2U Rights

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Would it be feasible to remove the min. requirement of 20 posts for U2U "sending rights"? I see a lot of new members in the adopt a newbie thread that need adoption but can't exchange U2Us with their prospective "foster-parent". Before they reach 20 posts is the time when newbies need guidance the most, and exchanging emails is not a particularly efficient way to do this.

If the limit is there to prevent new members spamming mods with questions like "so what's this WATS thing?", then perhaps the 20 post requirement could be enforced for U2Uing mods only. Not sure if this would be a coding nightmare or not.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I was never aware of a 20 min. post for U2U's. Are you sure this is correct? Is this a recent thing? Because I'm posotive I've sent U2U's before I even got two posts.

JAK

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This has crossed my mind too.

I have thought about trying to adopt someone, but I do think that this 20 post requirement makes things a little awkward for the very new at the time when they might need the most help.

At present they might be missing out on the joys that the Hoff can bring, I think it is my duty to adopt.

Jack

[edit on 4/4/05 by JAK]

JAK

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Double post

[edit on 4/4/05 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
New members can send U2U's to board staff without minimum post restrictions.

However, we had a rash of new members using the board to spam our existing members via U2U... hence the 20 post restriction.

Many large communities have adopted similar restrictions.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Fair enough. Not saying it's unwarranted. Just that it throws a spanner in the adoption works to an extent.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
20 posts is hardly anything...it's definitely better than trolls creating new accounts just to advertise via u2u.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Any newbie is more than welcome to U2U me with a question, and I think the same is so for most staff... As mentioned, they can U2U us without this minimum requirement.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
But might it not create more spamming as new users post rubbish so that they can hit there 20 post limit and send U2u's.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burgess
But might it not create more spamming as new users post rubbish so that they can hit there 20 post limit and send U2u's.

I think that 20 post timeframe has been set up as an evaluation period as well....If a mod sees they're spamming the boards during their initial 20 posts.....Peace! See ya! It's ban hammer time

JAK

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I can understand the reason for such a decision.

What about perhaps an automatic welcoming U2U including a link to Zedd's Handbook of ATS Links?

Jack

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Oh my God. How hard is it for one person to make 20 posts? If someone doesn't know how to post on these boards, I would agree that they need some serious coaching, but man, it's like 20 POSTS!

And make 'em good ones!

JAK

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It might not be to hard for some to throw out 20 posts, however some might feel less comfortable posting untill they know their way about.

I thought we were just discussing ways to help improve the spirit of community amongst the new members? I see no harm in that.

Jack

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
As Gazrok stated, any of the staff would be more than happy to help out a new member with any questions/issues they might have.

I'd also be more than willing to forward the u2u to another member who was looking to "adopt" them.

Unfortunately we have to put these types of measures in place because there are always a few who will abuse the system.

PA

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I know it's easy to post, but surely we want quality posts and not just rubbish. Which i'm sure would be a temptation for some people.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
As Gazrok stated, any of the staff would be more than happy to help out a new member with any questions/issues they might have.

I'd also be more than willing to forward the u2u to another member who was looking to "adopt" them.

Unfortunately we have to put these types of measures in place because there are always a few who will abuse the system.

PA

Very true PA. Same goes here, I keep my u2u inbox plenty empty, so if anyone needs to they can u2u. That's anyone except Hoff-ittes.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Before I became a mod, I had bought U2U space for about 1000, since then, even more. While I have to clean it out, still plenty of room, hehe....

What about perhaps an automatic welcoming U2U including a link to Zedd's Handbook of ATS Links?

An auto U2U is generated, but I like the idea of having that link as part of it...great idea!
imho...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Any newbie is more than welcome to U2U me with a question, and I think the same is so for most staff... As mentioned, they can U2U us without this minimum requirement.

Yeah, you respond very quickly
same with Kinglizard and astrocreep...kewl

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Also when welcoming new members You could direct them to my thread in intros untill they have enough to u2u..

wecomeinpeace and myself along with others keep an eye on this thread to help new members out with there questions untill there upand running..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Would be a great help if when welcoming new members to give them this link,

Asala

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I, also, would be more than happy to help a new member out. They can either u2u me or e-mail me at my ATS account. If e-mailing, please put that you are an ATS member in the subject, though, as I get a lot of junk mail to that account.

regs

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join