It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The grapes of wrath: depressed French wine producers bomb Government offices

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

"Terrorist attacks by radical wine producers on government offices in the south of France yesterday served notice that the country's wine crisis may be spinning out of control.

Sticks of dynamite were thrown at agriculture ministry offices in Montpellier and Carcassonne in the early hours, causing serious damage but no injuries. A car was also burned outside ministry offices in Nîmes."

news.independent.co.uk...

Terrorisim in France? How can this be? This is pretty insane even for the french. But could the US boycot against french products after their lack of support for the war be behind this unrest. I hope so.

Or could Osama be trying to corner the world market for Saudi 'Wine" from those famous desert vinyards?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

The whole of the lower and middle range of the French wine industry has been plunged into crisis in the past two years by a slump in domestic demand and the capture of markets in Britain and elsewhere by wines from Australia, Chile, Italy and the US.

Nice story. I think it quickly turned your head as soon as you saw words like French/dynamite/wine crisis! And I dont think its terrorism - its more pissed farmers, but they are used to that in France. They piss off their farmers quite alot! No wonder they started blowing up stuff.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Anyone who doesnt support the US and has a weapon is open to the "terrorist" label....

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Yeah Souljah, thats a great reason to commit acts of terrorism:

as posted by Souljah
They piss off their farmers quite alot! No wonder they started blowing up stuff.

Someone pisses you off and you simply resort to blowing crap up, right?
And furthermore, its justified because someone pissed you off, right?

Okie dokie.....

Excellent use of logic and problem solving skills.

BTW, ever heard of the phrase:
"Better to be pissed off than pissed on?"

seekerof

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Worked in iraq didnt it?
And in afghanistan...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Traditional French activity.
'We do not like wot is going on here, so everyone else can go f**k themselves while we do what we want!'

French farmers are the biggest problem facing the EU with their insistance on subsidies when there no longer competative in any way. With any luck this will get Chirac to get rid of the CAP and allow the EU to stop being a crutch for the flaing french economy.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Two different cases, devilwasp, aren't they?
Are the French farmers considered "insurgents" or any other label you wish to apply?

Are you condoning [agreeing with] these farmers in that because they are "pissed off", that they should simply resort to blowing crap up? And because they are "pissed off", hey, its ok to resort to this form of problem solving?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Two different cases, devilwasp, aren't they?
Are the French farmers considered "insurgents" or any other label you wish to apply?

Who was talking about the insurgents....I wasnt..
Not really....UBL really Pisses off USA+ Friends.....USA and co kick the utter turd dungle out of afghanistan...
Iraq Psses off america , usa and friends go kick the utter turd dungle out of iraq...

Are you condoning [agreeing with] these farmers in that because they are "pissed off", that they should simply resort to blowing crap up? And because they are "pissed off", hey, its ok to resort to this form of problem solving?

Not agreeing with it....just pointing out how people are already doing it...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I try to avoid French wine whenever I can due to their anti-American positions. Apparently, these boycotts are having some effect, too bad that the French farmers have taken to violence over it.

[edit on 4/4/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I try to avoid French wine whenever I can due to their anti-American positions. Apparently, these boycotts are having some effect, too bad that the French farmers have taken to violence over it.

[edit on 4/4/2005 by djohnsto77]

This is insane, your boycotting them over not supporting you in a war?
WTF??

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Yeah Souljah, thats a great reason to commit acts of terrorism:

as posted by Souljah
They piss off their farmers quite alot! No wonder they started blowing up stuff.

Okie dokie.....

Excellent use of logic and problem solving skills.

BTW, ever heard of the phrase:
"Better to be pissed off than pissed on?"

First: Was it really an Act of Terrorism? Or is it just about anything today an act of Terrorism, EXCEPT what US Goverment is allowed to do? Well, if we are talking about French, then it simply MUST be associated with Terrorists, right? After all they are supporting that "Palestinian Things" - Yes Terrorists again, and president Chirac is you average Terror Lover!

If I remember correctly, the French famers are really angry for a long LONG time - they have protested, and looks like nobody ever listens, if you Just protests! Looks like they have to take thinks into their Hands, since Nobody ever Listens to them! Maybe this way they will get someone attention. Peacefull protests dont work anymore in this World.

And this entire thread is just based on the title, that the French Farmers are blowing stuff up, because they are some friggin' terrorists, that do not have anything smarter to do! But hey, they are French - so they are very Close to Terrorists anyway, right?

Like devilwasp said: Blowing stuff up works in Afganistan, Iraq, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Sudan, Cambodia; just about everywhere the USA comes - but when some pissed farmers blow up a building, to Raise their Voicees, then they are the Terrorists!

[edit on 4/4/05 by Souljah]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Traditional French activity.
'We do not like wot is going on here, so everyone else can go f**k themselves while we do what we want!'

French farmers are the biggest problem facing the EU with their insistance on subsidies when there no longer competative in any way. With any luck this will get Chirac to get rid of the CAP and allow the EU to stop being a crutch for the flaing french economy.

Well I believe that's the reason why Chirac doesn't want to give subsidies to the wine farmers as it is against EU rules. The French wine makers faces crisis due to more competition but mainly because of declining demand in France itself. Also the fact that the French government has launched an add campaign not to "drink and drive", is a thorn in the eye of the farmers as it will more lesten the domestic sales.

But yes you are right, French farmers are really a problem for the EU. I really hate it when you want to travel to Spain or some other country, and you have to go through France, and all the highways are blocked again by French farmers.

Blobber

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Blobber]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
This is insane, your boycotting them over not supporting you in a war?
WTF??

Well lets see, at first Chirac agreed to support the war, then really knifed Powell at the UN, Then ther is that little Oil-for-food thingy. Ah heck its just the whole french superiority and arrogance problem. Darn right we are going to boycott anything french.

Chirac has been "in your face" to america a little too much. The american "market" reacted, strongly..........

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Ah heck its just the whole french superiority and arrogance problem. Darn right we are going to boycott anything french.

The French superiority and arrogance is just like the US superiority and arrogance. It just the US can back up their arrogance, the French just posture.

Its what happens when your nation has been a contemptable failure for 190 years.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Ah heck its just the whole french superiority and arrogance problem. Darn right we are going to boycott anything french.

The French superiority and arrogance is just like the US superiority and arrogance. It just the US can back up their arrogance, the French just posture.

Could not agree with you More!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Its what happens when your nation has been a contemptable failure for 190 years.

Yeah back it up with bombs, that will win you lots of respect..........NOT

How many civilians did these dreadfull "terrorists" kill?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Well lets see, at first Chirac agreed to support the war, then really knifed Powell at the UN, Then ther is that little Oil-for-food thingy. Ah heck its just the whole french superiority and arrogance problem. Darn right we are going to boycott anything french.

Chirac has been "in your face" to america a little too much. The american "market" reacted, strongly..........

He believed the US until he was shown the full ammount of evidence AND consulted with his people..

Also there is the whole american involvement with the oil for food thing....forget about that did you?
HA HA
The US is the last person that should talk about arogance and superioty complex's!
So if theUS doesnt back us in everything we do we should boycott american goods and go buy from china?

The US has been in EVERYONES face....do I smell hypocrisy? Yes I do...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

The US has been in EVERYONES face....do I smell hypocrisy? Yes I do...

Such is the quest for humility when the US is the lone superpower left on the planet. France is a flea on the back of an elephant. The elephant just got some flea powder. Now the other fleas are throwing dynamite at each other for pissing off the elephant.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I love French wine French cheese French bread French dressing and French fries and it will take more then some half thought out reationary propaganda campaign to get me to stop. Lets be real people does anyone honestly think this action occured because a few Rednecks (who probably dont drink wine anyway) stopped buying French. Stop buying into the propaganda people!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Such is the quest for humility when the US is the lone superpower left on the planet. France is a flea on the back of an elephant. The elephant just got some flea powder. Now the other fleas are throwing dynamite at each other for pissing off the elephant.

The lone super power stil fighting those pesky ruskies, huzzah! yeah give me a break...
If you call the americans elephants then I'd agree both tend to be fat and stink...
But hey your words not mine

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join