It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bush to Give Medal of Honor to Iraq War Hero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
For only the third time since the Vietnam war, President Bush is set to award Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith with the Congressional Medal of Honor. The award is the highest that the United States can give its military personnel. The posthumous award will be presented to his widow and his daughter for actions he took in two years to the day at the Baghdad airport.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — Outnumbered and exposed, Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith stayed at his gun, beating back an advancing Iraqi force until a bullet took his life.

Smith is credited with protecting the lives of scores of lightly armed American soldiers who were beyond his position in the battle, on April 4, 2003, near the gates of Baghdad International Airport.

On Monday, exactly two years after his death, President Bush is awarding Smith the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for valor, and presenting it to his widow, Birgit, daughter and son.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He stayed at his post and provided cover for scores of soldiers. When a heavy machine gun crew was knocked out of action Smith took over the post and continued to direct at the attacking forces until he was killed. Having grown up in the video game era many of us (myself included) what exactly goes on in these firefights. My grandfather was the recipient of the Silver Star during WWII for action he took. he was proud of his service and his medal as we should be of most of our soldiers in the Iraq politics aside. It is interesting to note, that the other two recipients, Army Master Sgt. Gary I. Gordon and Army Sgt. 1st Class Randall D. Shughart, were two Delta Force members that died defending the helicopter crew made famous in the movie "Blackhawk Down"

[edit on 4/4/05 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
SEE HERE:

Medal of Honor

This is the best source of information regarding SFC Smith's actions on the battlefield.

It includes the original citation submission for the Award MOH, as well as an integrated Flash Presentation of the timeline of actions on the battlefield.

SFC Smith greatly deserves this highest honor for valor on the battlefield, in my opinion. He very well did save the lives of scores of soldiers under his charge.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
God be with this American hero.
My brother is in the 82nd airborn and has been in battle with both Afghanistan and Iraq. I checked out the link you presented Delta.. He sacrificed himself to save his men. I cant even form the words to describe how I feel about that. Thank you for the post FredT and thank you for the link Delta.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by madmangunradio]

new topics

join