It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cannabis medicine 'causes harm'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
Actually, cannabis may be a cure for cancer!

www.idmu.co.uk...

How coincidental that the ones telling this are the people who have used this drug and want it legalize...

If what that link says is true, i should have been able to find that information in spanish, or in an official website from Spain.... i found nothing...

The people claiming this only seem desperate for the government to legalize marijuana....and they seem to be trying everything....

I put in the name of the doctor and from which university he is and goggled it, and all the links were the same...no official link from Spain...not one...

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

How coincidental that the ones telling this are the people who have used this drug and want it legalize...

Muaddib, give me ONE good reason why it shouldn't be?

I guarantee every answer you come up with, I will be able to illustrate legal drugs that do the same or (usually) far worse

[edit on 6/4/05 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

I agree this is by no means a great source. I do remember seeing this story once on an actual news site, but I couldn't find anything else. I'm not one to take information from places that benifit off of me beliveing what they are telling me. Really I was posting that to show that Cannabis may be a cure for cancer, due to the fact that the person above me said soemthing like "next thing your going to do is try and show me that it's a cure for cancer."

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I guarantee every answer you come up with, I will be able to illustrate legal drugs that do the same or (usually) far worse

The quotes from the sites i gave are more than enough reason. But if you want one more, legalizing marijuana will only make it more available to kids.

You want more kids to use this drug and mess up their lives?...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat

I agree this is by no means a great source. I do remember seeing this story once on an actual news site, but I couldn't find anything else. I'm not one to take information from places that benifit off of me beliveing what they are telling me. Really I was posting that to show that Cannabis may be a cure for cancer, due to the fact that the person above me said soemthing like "next thing your going to do is try and show me that it's a cure for cancer."

and it shows that the people who want this drug legalized are trying everything...

You can try doing a search yourself and see if any websites from Spain actually have anything about this information. All i found where websites where the owners themselves just want it legalized no matter what, and quite a few of them say they use marijuana themselves...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

That may be but these legal drugs serve a medical purpose illegal drugs for the most part don't. In the few cases where THC has proved beneficial it's being allowed.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The quotes from the sites i gave are more than enough reason. But if you want one more, legalizing marijuana will only make it more available to kids.

You have a go at sites because the owners want it legalised, but then use propaganda from the other side of the fence to backup your claims?

They are claims, nothing more. I use canabis, and I guarantee you, my life is far from runied! I have very good, well paid job, a lovely daughter and a happy life. How does it ruin your life?

What about Alcohol? What about anti-depressants? What about the additives in food? They are far more harmful than weed.

But I suppose it's ok to have legal Alcohol available to kids now isn't it?

EDIT

Kinglizard, Alcohol is a legal drug, Tobacco is legal, what purpose do they serve? In fact Alcohol users can be attributed to far more deaths and crime than a stoner who tokes on a joint!

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yeah, but lots and lots of drugs can have bad side effects... in fact i never take drugs for medicinal reasons, purely because of the fact that the side effects aften arent worth the relief they give. something as simple as an aspirin can weaken your immune system, this making more body more succeptable to disease.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   

It's the other way around at this point. Finding cannabis is one of the easiest things a kid can do. Obtaining alcohol or cigarettes proves to be more of a challenge because those are only sold to adults in a controlled fashion. Cannabis isn't controlled in any manner and most drug dealers will gladly sell to whomever provides them cash. Prohibition didn't work for liquor and in the same sense it isn't going to work for cannabis. Legalization seems to be the most logical choice of action. Get rid of the crime associated with it, stop criminalizing consenting adults who choose to use it, tax and use the money for preventive and addiction programs and stop demonizing a herb that in all of recorded time has killed no one.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Kinglizard, Alcohol is a legal drug, Tobacco is legal, what purpose do they serve? In fact Alcohol users can be attributed to far more deaths and crime than a stoner who tokes on a joint!

Believe be I understand the alcohol/marijuana argument. I just don't see how legalizing another harmful substance is beneficial to society. The fact that "alcohol users can be attributed to far more deaths and crime than a stoner" doesn't really make a good case for legalizing marijuana. It makes a good case for making alcohol illegal.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Believe be I understand the alcohol/marijuana argument. I just don't see how legalizing another harmful substance is beneficial to society. The fact that "alcohol users can be attributed to far more deaths and crime than a stoner" doesn't really make a good case for legalizing marijuana. It makes a good case for making alcohol illegal.

Exactly, opne or the other. Current arguments do not stand up to inspection, and a choice needs to be made. However, from all examples of prohibition, it does not work, plus there are the freedom of choice aspects to consider. So I say legalise both, tax both, and let nature sort out the rest.

After all, we have the right to choose do we not?

As for the harmful effects, i would dispute them, as stated, I use canabis, more than I drink to be precise, yet I hold down a $40+k a year job, and have a family.

Nothing wrong here! Now try doing that when you drink everyday.

Which is worse?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
And we know what happens when alcohol is made illegal. Marijuana needs to be legal to keep the wrong people from making money on it as they do right now.

About cannabis causing harm, the study was a poor one if there were only 8 participants for one, and the side effects are much better than not being able to hold down food or severe pain, the stuff cannabis is good treatment for as others have already pointed out. I havent seen a drug on the market that has not had a list of warning and side effects to go with it. I think the pure form of the plant is what nature intended us to use, or at the most mix it with oils and get a nice buttery spread.

I do not like how California has more or less made a loop hole in the law where anybody can the weed they want with a little cash. And the price the people have to pay, $100 for 7 grams, a one week supply is too steep for anybody but the upper class. Car payments with insurance dont even add up to that much for an economy car.

Whether legal or not it will be used by millions and millions till the end of time. Why not let people who think it helps them use it?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
for one thing many non-users would be surprised at whom all they associate with that do use. weed is as common as alcohal. one problem right now with illicit mariwana is that some dealers will spray other narcotics on it to get you hooked. if mariwana was leagaly sold there would be little room for this as it would fall under the governance of food and drug laws.

some one worries about kids getting ahold of it if made legal? well i would recomend (for ontario) that it be sold in the liquer store which is government run and has a good record for not selling to minors. (unlike the beer store). still this would not solve the problem just like kids still get ahold of alcohal.personaly though not one to want kids to smoke up i would prefer that then the realy nasty stuff that is out there for them now. as for letting more kids get at it if legal, give me a break weed is so easy to find if you want it youy generaly have several choices of who to get it from.

when it comes to this artificial thc i have to wonder how good it would be. it seems to me a lot of "replacement" chemicals end up with problems just like the wonderfull sugar replacements we have. even refineing natural substances like sugar tends to have side effects the fact that people who have a high sugar intake tend to get more cavities, or in some cases can act like a drug. this is not bull i am one of those who gets a sugar "high" i am actualy more likely to do stuff i normaly would not do when i have sugar as opposed to weed or alcohol. hmm mabe we should make sugar a banned substance.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It’s all about harm reduction. Laws prohibiting marijuana use by responsible adults cause far more harm to society and the user than marijuana ever could. Alcohol and drug prohibition is the best thing that ever happened to organized crime.

Yes I am desperate and willing to try anything to legalize and regulate all illegal drugs. The alternative obviously does not work and has created a vast and violent black market which is incented to get people hooked on harder stuff. If it was legal I doubt as many people would be interested in it.

You might be surprised to find out how many happy healthy professionals in all walks of life use marijuana daily that you personally know. The idea that all marijuana smokers are long haired hippies that live in their mother’s basement at the age of thirty is a propaganda stereotype. Continued prohibition of marijuana use by responsible adults is not a policy that can be defended by honest men.

Carl Sagan was a pothead and so was Robert Mitchum maybe they were useless dirty hippies??
We still live with the political dynasties created by prohibition see Sen. Kennedy and Sen. McCain.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

oh excuse me...
wasn't finished laughing i guess...
I am sorry... but that is VERY WRONG.... but funny... thanks...
ask any teenager which is easier to get... straight or nonsober...
the reason it is so much easier to get, is due to it being illegal...
Beer is legal and adults don't want or need a black market that is willing to sell to minors.
if you truly want it out of the kids hands... make it legal.
BTW... i dont see Beer dealing gangs on the street corner.

as to the purpose of this study... excuse me...

they paid money for a study to find that 2 out of 8 people get paranoid and anxietis...
why waste money for the obvious?

nahhh, i say it is more like 4 out of 8... especially when i go
BOOGIEBOOGIEBOOGIEBOOGIEBOOGIE.....

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Since When Do The Reactions Of Two Out Of Eight People Given Different Drugs Allow A Rational Conclusion About Anything?

Aside from the various debates regarding cannabis, I am compelled to point out that this article wreaks of both disinformation and junk science.

What little is selectively disclosed regarding the "study's" methodology is highly suspect, and the conclusions are not supported by the evidence they present.

One guy is given a synthetic substance called "dronabinol", while the other guy is given a "liquid form of natural THC" -- two different substances -- and they consider that worthy of drawing a "conclusion"?

They apparently didn't even test the same substances over their miniscule sampling of eight people, and we don't even know if the other six people were given the same drugs.

While I am somewhat uncomfortable commenting on a study I haven't been given a closer look at, if the details given in this article are correct, it's not science, it's quackery.

BBCNews As A Propaganda Outlet

The article itself smacks of agenda and bias, and the last two paragraphs deliver the punchline:

From the source article:
Cliff Prior, chief executive of mental health charity Rethink, added: "This evidence confirms risk of mental health problems from cannabis.

"The Department of Health must act on our campaign for a major education programme, particularly aimed at young people, to inform people of the risks of cannabis."

If the “evidence” supports this notion, then why must it be so obviously fabricated, and a fallacious conclusion so transparently forced?

Why the obvious journalistic bias on the part of BBCNews?

It's just sad.

[edit on 4/6/2005 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Alcohol in excess is bad...hell water in excess is bad too and will kill you...

The problem with alcohol is when people take it in excess....

Appart from THC marijuana has more than 400 other toxins, among these some of the chemicals/toxins that can be found in marijuana, they are found in cigarrettes also.

If you don't think marijuana is as bad, let's see what the National Cancer Institution has to say about it.

WASHINGTON (CNN)-- In the first study of its kind, researchers found that smokers of marijuana and crack coc aine show the same kinds of precancerous conditions caused by smoking tobacco.

The findings were released Tuesday in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

In the study, researchers examined samples of respiratory tract tissue from participants who ranged in age from 21 to 50. To be eligible, the participants had to be in one or more of the following categories: Marijuana smokers who smoked an average of 10 or more marijuana cigarettes a week for the last five years or longer; crack coc aine smokers who smoked one gram or more of crack coc aine a week for nine months or longer within the past year; or tobacco smokers who smoked 20 cigarettes or more a day for the last five years.

The researchers looked at genetic markers known to be associated with increased risk of lung cancer. Changes or overproduction of some markers were found in a majority of the study participants.

The findings suggested that tobacco was not the only smoked substance that set the changes preceding lung cancer development in motion.

Excerpted from.
www.cnn.com...

Appart from the other effects that have been discussed and can be found in those links I gave already.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
I am sorry... but that is VERY WRONG.... but funny... thanks...
ask any teenager which is easier to get... straight or nonsober...
the reason it is so much easier to get, is due to it being illegal...
Beer is legal and adults don't want or need a black market that is willing to sell to minors.
if you truly want it out of the kids hands... make it legal.

....This is another of the excuses some people hang on to trying desperately to make their vice legal.....

If making marijuana legal would stop kids from taking it..... Why in the world do so many kids get high on common everyday items, such as glue and paint....

Huffing (inhalants)

Dear ParentLine:

Recently, I have heard a lot about this thing called "huffing." I hear that it appeals to really young kids who are way too young to get their hands on 'real' drugs, because they can get "high" from substances that are available at the grocery or hardware store and are easily found in our own home! My wife and I think we have done everything we can to teach our 13-yr-old son to "Just Say No," but we don't know anything about "huffing!" What is it? What are the dangers? What do we need to know?

Inhalant use is lethal. And,yes, inhalants are also all over your house and in your child's school. In fact, you probably have them under the kitchen sink or in the basement. Educate yourself. Find out about inhalants before your children do. But you are going to have to work fast. Go online and look under 'huffing.' There are several websites that will give you information that may save your child's life. The following information is taken from the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition (NIPC) at www.inhalants.org.

Excerpted from.
www.cfsnh.org...

So yeah...there goes your "theory"...which has been brought up many times in these forums...I guess marijuana does affect memory....

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thats it Muaddib, keep splurging your quack science proaganda. Every week there is a report which claims this, or a report that claims that. then another report will come out that disproves the previous two,but makes a third more rediculous claim.

At the end of the day, it is no more harmful than a myriad of other things that are legal. I personally could not give a lump 'o' poo that it may have carcinogenic effects, so does almost everything that we do in this modern world with all our chemicals, polution and additives. Isn't it my choice at the end of day? What harm am I doing to you?

Alcohol is addictive. Nicotine is Addictive. Cannabis is not.
Alcohol causes liver, heart, kidney and brain damage. What about cannabis is worse than that? Nothing. Don't be such a tool, and let go of your misconceptions. Not that I, for one moment, believe you will.

You use the argument that alcohol in moderation isn't harmful? Then what about anything in moderation? What is moderation?

EDIT:

If making marijuana legal would stop kids from taking it..... Why in the world do so many kids get high on common everyday items, such as glue and paint....

Maybe you should ask why kids want to get high, rather than trying to shift the blame onto a completely unrelated substance.

Honestly, if this parent knows nothing about solvent abuse, then they are stupid. And it is no wonder their kids are de-railing. Being open, honest and fair to your kids is the only way to educate.

Reinforce the propaganda, and you further mystify what it is you are trying to stop, making kids want to do it more.

Personally, I never touched anything until I was 17. Made a choice as a young adult, and resisted when I was younger. This was because my parents where fair, impartial and educated me to every side of the story.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
stumason, you are obviously too concerned about yourself to realize that making this drug legal would make it even more available to kids.

Keep trying to cover the real effects of marijuana because of your own selfish, immature reasons.

Look who is talking about "splurging your quack science proaganda"

Obviously you cannot back up your claim so you resort on attacking the messenger...and again if kids get high because of the drug being illegal and because of the "mystery behind it".....where is the mystery that so many kids find in using such ordinary everyday items to get high?....

Making this drug, or any other illegal drug, legal, would be the biggest mistake this nation would ever make.

---edited for errors---

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join