It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cannabis medicine 'causes harm'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If people really want to ban something with harmful side effects how about the anti-depressants doctors push on patients. They have tons of often dangerous side effects that make weed look like candy in comparison.

But then The pharmaceutical giants are making tons from the sales of anti-depressants, so that isn't likely to happen. Stop smoking weed buy our new medication instead! It's FDA approved!!

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Is this the same study which has been found to be completely bogus because only eight people were studied? What kind of research is that? There are 150,000,000 cannabis users.

Also, a little information on Dronabinal, also known as Marinol, is NOT Cannabis based, its Synthetic, the active ingredient is a neuro-toxin found in cleaning agents, I discovered this when researching what chemicals I was wiping my baby's rear end with, same chemical, I guess I could get high eating butt wipes..or something.

Another factoid of Marinol, its made and marketed by Eli-Lilly, the company that George Bush Sr. is a major stock holder of, and as far as I know sits on the board of directors. Eli-Lilly distributes drugs to third world nations that are illegal in the US because they are lethal.

Another thing to know about Marinol, NOBODY wants to use it because it causes more paranoia than the desired effect of pain relief and apetite stimulation. Also you have to swallow it, and most people who are vomitting from chemo-therapy can't swallow and keep down a pill. Thats why they are inventing a spray under the tongue version of this neurtoxin.

Stick to the herbs that grow from the ground, and avoid things a corporation sells you.

By the way, this story should not be a top news story, since the information is unconfirmed and most likely will turn out, under close examination to be 110% bogus. Since the reclassification of cannabis in the UK, the pharma-corps have stepped up a major propaganda campaign against hemp, using any anecdotal evidence they can. Just do a "cannabis" search on google-news and you will see the amount of bologna pumping out of that country's media on cannabis. I guess we have them shaking in their boots.

Let's Roll

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Just think of the millions of pounds/dollars worldwide that the drug companies will lose if people can grow their own pain relief. Is it any wonder that "problems" are found......please. Don't be so naive folks.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I think the studies might also show that THC (or just smoking the reefer) can have significant calming effects too. I used to smoke. Depending on my mood (or the particular type) the effect could either have been relaxing or inducing paranoia. I've also been perscribed a number of pharmecuticals (for legitimate reasons, not recreation) that have caused severe anxiety.

I took Zoloft ONCE and for me it was as if I had had about ten cups of coffee at once. I took Paxil for a year (and it was supposed to curb anxiety), and it helped me to relax for a long time... then it was the major cause of a manic episode that I had and I simply stopped taking it (and the problem went away). Currently I'm taking Zyban (which is not an SSRI like Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, etc) to help me quit smoking and when I was getting used to the medication it was more stimulating that caffeine. Now it doesn't give me a buzz, but I do have trouble sleeping without a sleeping aid because of it (and drinking with Zyban can cause seizures so I've been dying for a drink for the past two months).

One last thing. THC causes paranoia in 2 out of 8?... Why not 1 out of 4... or 25%?
-S

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Paranoia of being "caught" (persicuted) by more paranoid ignoramuses who seek you out with hopes of incarceration (money-making)?

Yeah, I would be paranoid of that as well if any activity I partook in brought upon that kind of stigma!!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandMasterN
Paranoia of being "caught" (persicuted) by more paranoid ignoramuses who seek you out with hopes of incarceration (money-making)?

Yeah, I would be paranoid of that as well if any activity I partook in brought upon that kind of stigma!!!!!

I remember back in high school, I was riding a bus stoned off my butt. I looked up the isle and made eye-contact with an old woman (maybe 80+ years old). I was CONVINCED that she knew I was stoned and was going to tell the bus driver who would radio the cops to come arrest me. (There were also ads on the bus stating that there were undercover cops who rode the bus.

I eventually got of the bus, went to a Burger King, ate a large meal and fell asleep at the table. Heheh. I don't smoke anymore. I actually have grown to detest the feeling of being stoned but I'm glad to have at least had the experiences and enjoyed them (with or without the paranoia)...

Millions smoke the stuff for a reason... it's not bad. But you're opinion of it will change depending on how you were rasied and how your brain reacts. Weed's not for everyone and everyone shouldn't smoke it.

Simple?
-S

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Without that fear of being "told on" you most likely would have just got off the bus and ate your burger in peace and had a great time, or whatever.

But the FEAR of being caught made you 'noid not the grass itself right?

I dont do it but I think that if this "WAR" against pot smokers did not exist, they would be less paranoid.

My point is that if there were a WAR against me. I would be very paranoid!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Quote: "Hell, check the side effects of Pharmaceutical Drugs. Each Commercial ad nearly runs out of their time allotted with the list of 'possible side effects' they're required to disclose."

Exactly! There is so much Conditioning & Societal Hypocrisy concerning this topic - it's Ridiculous! Isn't it Amazing how Pill Drugs Manufactured by Pharma Corp has come to be Accepted as "Legitimate Medicine" - even though many have known Numerous Side Effects! How many cases are we up to now of Teenagers Committing Suicide after being put on an "Anti-Depressant" which only ended up making the Situation Worse? At the same time a Natural Plant that was Put on this Planet by *GOD* - which just so happens to be a Drug & Medicine - which has many Beneficial Effects - is totally & utterly *DEMONIZED*! No matter how much Science comes out it is always the same story - "we will Classify it with CRACK & HEROIN if we want to" says the Government! What are they afraid of - that people will Partake of the Sacred Plant & become Enlightened & Realize how much their Government is Screwing them? That they will Realize that it is the SAME People that Constantly Repeating the phrases FREEDOM & LIBERTY - that will have you thrown in the Prison of their Police State if you Do or Say anything that they don't like! Yeah I would be a little Paranoid in this Situation too! I am Consuming a Plant - Wow I must be some sort of Subversive Revolutionary now! The Fed Narcs might come busting through the Door @ any Moment!

The Government is "Anti-Nature" & "Pro-Corporate Profit" - it is really just that simple! It is not that the Government does not want you to "Do Drugs" - it is that the Government wants you to do
*THEIR DRUGS ONLY* - the Chemical Poison ones that their Corporate Contributors Profit from! These same people would not mind you doing "Marinol" which is a SYNTHETIC THC Pill - which co-incidentilly does NOT have the same Effect as when a Bud is Smoked (Well now it looks like they have some more Studying to do - maybe they should actually READ the Scientific Analysis next time) - will Freak Out if you try the "Real Thing"!

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I hope they didn't pay this "scientist" too much money for his findings, I could've told you that. This is so reciculous, most of "modern science" seems to be total bull. You hear headlines like "Breast Cancer leading cause of Masectomies" "Fast Food linked to obesity" "Alcohol leading cause of Liver Failure" I swear just once, I want to read a headline like "Stress, a big cause of high blood pressure DUUUUUUHHH"

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Why synthesize nature? The Original plant is fine, God did a great job. We're all very thankful for your concern for our wellbeing, but if we want to smoke the herb, we will - and there is nothing you can do about it (other than take away our basic human rights if you catch us using it in certain geographic locations).

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The REAL reason it is illegal is because it is relatively easy to grow.

Think of all those customers the big pharmaceutical corps would lose if they were happily buzzed with some home-grown, instead of suffering from depression, overeating, alcohol poisoning, smoking cigs, high blood pressure, etc.

When the people are allowed free choice the corporate NAZIs lose out.

i am crying crocodile tears for them.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Anyone doing drugs deserves the side-effects that it gives them.

From aspirin to Zantax, if a person is willing to put up with the side effects, then more power to them.

But when negative things start happening to them later on, I don't want to hear any complaints!

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I've noticed that a marijuana high can treat a number of symptoms, including the common cold. The treatment largely includes making the user apathetic to the symptoms, but that's still something.

I mean... cold medicine doesn't CURE a cold, it just treats the symptoms, right? However if people grew their own herbs, they'd be trying to treat all kinds of things with it. And you guys are right, the pharmecutical companies (and thusly the FDA) would lose billions.

I DO suffer from insomnia. The only consistant treatment I ever had was the two years that I smoked on a daily basis. They were also the most recent two years that I haven't been on some kind of mood altering pharmecutical. I was severly depressed for a long time and, no joke, being high took it away (which is how I eventually got addicted). When I realized that I was over the specific thing that depressed me, I weaned myself off of the stuff and haven't gone back. Quitting was hard but I'm quitting cigarettes now and it's a HECK of a lot harder.

I've tried therapy and all kinds of anti-depressants. Weed worked for me. I want everyone to know: Weed was a better treatment than several years of therapy and several different anti-depressants. It also helped me to eat more. I don't have an eating disorder but I don't have much of an apetite either. I probably eat about 1,200 calories a day... when I smoked it could easily have been 2,000 (though most people aim to LOSE weight).

So if someone has an eating disorder, perscribe them a case of joints. May be the best cure.

There are negative side effects, of course, to smoking weed on a daily basis (though a FEW people don't seem to have them). For me it was apathy, anger, mental slowness (not retardation, just a little dumber than normal) and spaceiness, paranoia... you could also call the side effects "being high". It's important to note that, as with any drug, the more you use it, the fewer "side effects" you get. Tolerance. Adaptation.

To those in opposition to weed (and all manners of controlled substances) I say, if you don't like it, don't use it. But don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Drugs can be legitamately beneficial! Getting FDA approval only means someone paid enough to have the FDA approve a drug that is potentially harmful and then being able to distribute it to the public as long as you list all of the ways it can be hazardous.

So... Try WEED,
Possible side effects may include sleepiness, paranoia, dizziness, hunger, the ability to think that you're smarter than you actually are, inability to concentrate, apathy, happiness, and a sense of well being.
-S

[edit on 6-4-2005 by ServoHahn]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Quote: "Mental Slowness and Spaceiness."

First I would like to thank you for being Honest with us Servo! Thanks for letting people know that you found Cannabis as a better Medicine than Anti-Depressant Pharmaceuticals! Thanks for your Honesty in stating (like so many things in this world - especially like Satellite TV with all the Movie Channels) that Cannabis is a Drug that can be Mentally Addictive!

Now concerning your quote above - I would just like to remind people that there are MANY different types of STRAINS of Cannabis! Some Strains would have the Narcotic Effect that you mentioned above. Others would have quite the Opposite (or an Amphetamine Effect – Speedy & Cerebral). Plus it is Different for everyone - depending on their Body Chemistry!

You See THIS is why I am so Frustrated - there is so much MORE LEGITIMATE Scientific Study/Re-search that needs to be done on this Plant & its Effects on Humans! We want to *Release the TRUTH to the Public*! But the Government however just wants to keep putting out Propaganda & DEMONIZING it - in order to keep the Status Quo going on their Agendas! Next time you see a so-called "Scientific Study" Report on Cannabis - Find out who *PAID* for it! If it was the U.S. or U.K. Government (i.e. you are getting your info from Fox News or the BBC) it is probably a bunch of NONSENSE!

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ServoHahn
I think the studies might also show that THC (or just smoking the reefer) can have significant calming effects too. I used to smoke. Depending on my mood (or the particular type) the effect could either have been relaxing or inducing paranoia. I've also been perscribed a number of pharmecuticals (for legitimate reasons, not recreation) that have caused severe anxiety.

I took Zoloft ONCE and for me it was as if I had had about ten cups of coffee at once. I took Paxil for a year (and it was supposed to curb anxiety), and it helped me to relax for a long time... then it was the major cause of a manic episode that I had and I simply stopped taking it (and the problem went away). Currently I'm taking Zyban (which is not an SSRI like Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, etc) to help me quit smoking and when I was getting used to the medication it was more stimulating that caffeine. Now it doesn't give me a buzz, but I do have trouble sleeping without a sleeping aid because of it (and drinking with Zyban can cause seizures so I've been dying for a drink for the past two months).

One last thing. THC causes paranoia in 2 out of 8?... Why not 1 out of 4... or 25%?
-S

the antidepressants I took made me see little fuzzy critters running around my mom's house....I can guarentee you that there were no fuzzy critters in my mom's house, and if they were, they would have been frozen in terror of the genocidal maniac that my mom could become if she saw any fuzzy critters running around in her house!!

it also made me stupid.....I just could not figure out how to light a lighter, and it wasn't even child resistant, just your basic bic like I used everyday for the past few decades.

I wasn't on it long, and didn't bother consulting the doctor went I stopped taking it, but it took me a long time to get my head back together and into the same state it was in before I started taking the medicine.

When I did, and told him why, it was....na, it couldn't do that to ya...only, I checked, and yes it can, in some people

but, well I don't react predictably with some medicine anyways....ain't figured out why, but just don't.

If one were of that 40 million who go without medical insurance and thus medical care were to be concerned about this law, or any law that restricts the laws on the growing or selling of herbals, ask your congressmen and elected representatives a question like this....I take ephedrine occasionally, mixed with some other ingredients if I have a bad cold...it helps, and well, what can I say....it was the the healthcare industry, insurance companies, drug companies and governments joining forces and making the whole industry a big scam that undermined my ability to use it....what the heck justification do they have now for telling me what plant I can or cannot harvest or buy and use to treat my ailments?

[edit on 6-4-2005 by dawnstar]

[edit on 6-4-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Pretty soon people are going to start claiming that marijuana cures cancer, aids....and other illnesses....in their quest to find reasons to legalize this drug...or any other illegal drug...

Smoking anything is bad for the lungs first of all. People can develop cancer from smoking marijuana too, among the other side effects this drug has.

Some people say, "if it comes from nature, it must be good." Well, nature also provides with many toxins and chemicals i wouldn't recommend anyone using.... it can land you real quick to the hospital, or worse, to the morgue.

www.goaskalice.columbia.edu...

Here is another link with more information.

What are some of the immediate effects of smoking marijuana?
Some immediate physical effects of marijuana include a faster heartbeat and pulse rate, bloodshot eyes, and a dry mouth and throat. No scientific evidence indicates that marijuana improves hearing, eyesight, and skin sensitivity. Studies of marijuana's mental effects show that the drug can impair or reduce short-term memory, alter sense of time, and reduce ability to do things which require concentration, swift reactions, and coordination, such as driving a car or operating machinery.

Are there any other adverse reactions to marijuana?
A common bad reaction to marijuana is the "acute panic anxiety reaction." People describe this reaction as an extreme fear of "losing control," which causes panic. The symptoms usually disappear in a few hours.

What about psychological dependence on marijuana?
Long-term regular users of marijuana may become psychologically dependent. They may have a hard time limiting their use, they may need more of the drug to get the same effect, and they may develop problems with their jobs and personal relationships. The drug can become the most important aspect of their lives.

What are the dangers for young people?
One major concern about marijuana is its possible effects on young people as they grow up. Research shows that the earlier people start using drugs, the more likely they are to go on to experiment with other drugs. In addition, when young people start using marijuana regularly, they often lose interest and are not motivated to do their schoolwork. The effects of marijuana can interfere with learning by impairing thinking, reading comprehension, and verbal and mathematical skills. Research shows that students do not remember what they have learned when they are "high".

Excerpted from.
www.well.com...

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Actually, cannabis may be a cure for cancer!

www.idmu.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Quote: "Smoking anything is bad for the lungs first of all."

Well you don't HAVE to Smoke it! You can Vaporize it (Smokeless) & you can EAT it too - did you that of that one Genius?

Good thing that you Mentioned Cancer & AIDS! Cannabis may not CURE these Diseases but I can POSITIVELY GUARENTEE you that it will REDUCE PAIN & STIMULATE APPITITE WITHOUT the Harmful & Negative Side Effects of MANY - Currently Legal - Pharmaceutical Drugs! Cannabis on the other hand is still ILLEGAL! Would you Throw a Cancer or HIV/AIDS Patient in Prison for trying it Muaddib? Are you an American that Believes in FREEDOM & LIBERTY?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
"Would you Throw a Cancer or HIV/AIDS Patient in Prison for trying it Muaddib?"

remember Muaddib, if they are in prison, your taxmoney will be paying for their medical care......seems like it would be a no-brainer for the Bush administration.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Muaddib, no one denies that smoking weed is bad for your lungs and immune system. No one, however, has ever OD'd on TCH. One would pass out or vomit long before THC got to a noxious level.

I'm taking Zyban right now. Among about a million other things, side effects include siezure, heart attack, and SUDDEN DEATH. Most SSRI's (like Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, etc.) give manic episodes to about 1% of their users. Most of the kids who went on shooting sprees at their high schools were on SSRI's. That kid who killed his grandparents with a rifle was on Zoloft and told the court that a voice inside his head told him to do it.

I myself have suffered a manic episode at the hands of Paxil. It was the most terrifying thing in my life. Let me tell you, the delusions that a manic mind comes up with are 1000% more real than real life and real experiences. With no evidence at all, I was convinced that God Himself was sending me messages coded in any numbers I could see around me. I started spewing random numbers for a few hours and freaked the heck out of my friends. I was hallucinating badly and if I wasn't so terrified, I KNOW I would have been violent. Especially when the aliens started to control my thoughts.

I've taken a few different kinds of mushrooms and I've taken '___' before. Neither trip came CLOSE to comparing with what the Paxil gave me.

It took me about six months to fully recover (though during those months I kept my decreasing delusions to myself out of embarassment).

How dare anyone preach about the negative side effects of illicit drugs when the pharmecuticals are more likely to produce psychopathic killers?

Oh, and if someone is dying from cancer and they're getting radiation therapy (which kills the immune system anyway), I don't think they'd complain about the risk of lung cancer (not that they'd have to smoke it) being that they've probably resigned themselves to dying from the cancer that they already have. Maybe we should just starve them all to death like Terri Shiavo?

Plus, smoking weed reduces boredom! "Whoa dude... look at my hands... whooooaaa.... and oh my god my face! I have a face dude... that's far out!"

-S

[edit on 6-4-2005 by ServoHahn]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join