It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cannabis medicine 'causes harm'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Swiss researchers have discovered that 2 out of eight men taking drugs containing THC develop paranoia and anxiety. The researchers said that the public needs to be aware of potential side effects. One UK pharmaceutical company that has a license to develop such drugs indicated that the level used in the study was higher than they would use.

news.bbc.co.uk
Cannabis-based medicines can cause paranoia and anxiety in some people, a study has suggested.

Swiss researchers found two out of eight men given drugs containing THC, a chemical extracted from cannabis, developed psychotic effects.

The University of Lausanne team said the public needed to be aware cannabis medicine could have such side effects.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While on a professional level I do not object to research and its use in selected cases, it needs to be tightly controlled. In the area I live in there are something 60 "clubs" for medicinal use. How many people have a legitimate need for it? Not enough for that many people cultivating large amounts. Most people are using this as an excuse to grow thier own plants. Also the chemical compounds that promote the benefits to these patients that have a legitimate need can be made synthetically.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Not all of the chemicals in marijuana can be made syntheticly. I've talked to many legitimate medicinal cannabis users, and they say that "crude" cannibis is by far the best for treating thier pain. People need to wake up and realise that marijunana is one of the most benin drugs in the US. The way I see it is EVERY other drug when taken in excess causes you to be sick, and marijuana doesn't do that.

On topic though, I do see parinoia come about and when I've used marijuana (in the past) I've developed parinoia. It definitly happens. Usually to treat it I've just forced my mind into a state of calm. Or even if you just take your mind off of the parinoia for a few minutes it goes away.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Paranoia can be a side effect of marijuana and other hallucinogenic drugs, but it shouldn't cause any permanent harm except to those already afflicted with or particularly susceptible to mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Paranoia and Anxiety. Wow. Lets check side effects of other "drugs". I bet they are pretty harmless.

I mean what is wrong with this Cannabis-propaganda? Once its OK, hemp is good for medicine; then its BAD, hemp is BAD; then its good again!

Make up your Mellons already, damnit!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Anything to play god, Most people are paranoid drinking coffee.

I think its not a bad side effect, your more aware if you are paranoid.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Paranoia and Anxiety. Wow. Lets check side effects of other "drugs". I bet they are pretty harmless.

Wow, I actually agree with Souljah!

Compared to the side effects advertised on drug commercials everyday on TV, a little paranoia seems quite insignificant.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I believe marijuana affects the chemical balance in certain individuals depending on dopamine levels etc. I've witnessed good, intelligent bright people growing up turn paranoid schizophrenics, or manic depressants if they continued or ceased to use pot.

I smoke the cheeba from time to time, and now and then (queue music) i get the feeling, somebody is waaatching meeee!

anyways, it comes down to the individual, since we're all individual right?

[edit on 4-4-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Wow, I actually agree with Souljah!

Compared to the side effects advertised on drug commercials everyday on TV, a little paranoia seems quite insignificant.

Wow, now that does not happen often!

I take whats made by Mother Nature and risk paranoia and anxiety, then to eat some chemical crap, with tens of side effects on my iternal organs.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Hell, check the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs. Each commercial ad nearly runs out of their time allotted with the list of 'possible side effects' they're required to disclose. I think I suffer from some of those side effects just hearing about the potential ones.

Let 'em continue to poke and prod the marijuana buds looking for any reason at all to demonize the use of it. Meanwhile, millions of people will smoke marijuana without ever suffering from a fraction of the side effects that the 'other' drugs provide.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Yeah.. My favorite is the heartburn drugs that "may cause abdominal pain".

Don't even get me started on allergy meds.. "shortness of breath, convulsions and in rare cases, death..."

It's one way to stop a runny nose I guess.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Swiss researchers have discovered that 2 out of eight men taking drugs containing THC develop paranoia

They needed researchers to find that out?

For cancer patients who smoke marijuana to gain back their appetite I don't think that paranoia is even concern. If I had to chose between starving to death or worrying about reptilians I don't think that would be a hard choice.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
If I had to chose between starving to death or worrying about reptilians I don't think that would be a hard choice.

Honestly....Did we humans really expect to over-consume every natural resource we have and not feel any repercussions or possible side-effects?!

When you have everything and modify or artificially create all your other wants and desires, there is nothing left but pain and suffering to consume your time with....

I say "smoke 'em if you got 'em!"

[edit on 4/4/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I knew they were comin to get me!!! Wheres my tinfoil hat?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I knew they were comin to get me!!! Wheres my tinfoil hat?

You left it round mine after that big session last night? Remember? When the pink lizard men came to repossess your shoes?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I smoke cannabis and I all so Know somebody who has to take the cannabis madicine. and belive me, Paranoia and Anxiety is better than pain.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about a little paranoia. It's just a leftover emotion from the days when weed was illegal, that's all.

Btw, what's with this new "contributor" value on the left? Now I'm paranoid!

[edit on 4-4-2005 by jsobecky]

[edit on 4-4-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Btw, what's with this new "contributor" value on the left?

Thats the amount of ATSNN submissions you have had accepted. reach 75 and you will become an expert! SO has a thread on it, look in MyATS...

Here is the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4/4/05 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If it looks a little off, try clicking the button at the top left of any ATSNN thread to recalculate your total

[edit on 4/4/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
find me meds without some side effect.
for that matter everything we do seems to have some sort of negitive side effect on humans.
guess it's dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

i just love the new effects list on comercials now after seeing them realy makes me wonder if the cure is worse than the original problem. seriously how many list side effects that are worse that the original problem, then they try to remind you that the odds are in your faver about not haveing the effect. (just tell that to a freind who died due to adverse side effects from a headache medication).

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Well, that a substance can have significant side effect is not news.

Apart from duly noticed side effects of commericially availble legal medecines, some really bad side effects are produced by:

1) coffee
2) alcohol
3) tobacco
4) double cheese burgers
5) stress at work
6) morning commute
7) violence on TV

I don't see people up in the arms fighting these.

I say, I'd trade the above items 1 to 7 for a joint any time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join