It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Largest-Ever Anti-Terror Drill To Begin Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
What's said to be the largest anti-terrorism drill ever undertaken in the United States will start this morning with a simulated biological terrorist attack at Kean university, and a simulated chemical weapons attack in Connecticut at the same time. The drill is known as TOPOFF 3 and has cost more than $16 Million to put together. The name TOPOFF 3 is formed from the name for the top-level state and the national officials behind the drill. Homeland Security officials will monitor how the drills unfold from a command center in Washington. The drill in intended to stress the state's emergency response and medical systems to the breaking point. Any exposed weaknesses that would only become apparent in a castastrophe may be found.

www.newsday.com
"We are better prepared than most states in America," Acting Gov. Richard Codey said. "We will put New Jersey's terrorism preparedness to a very thorough test. It will be a very realistic exercise."

It will be so realistic, in fact, the Codey worries about people who haven't gotten word that a drill is underway might think the country is under a real terrorist attack. It is a valid concern, given that emergency vehicles with sirens blaring and lights flashing will be filling local roadways, and teams of first-responders wearing hazardous materials suits will be wandering around.

Codey advises anyone who sees something amiss and who is unsure if there is a real problem to call the state's Domestic Security Task Force at 1-866-4SAFENJ.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is great that officials are putting together these ‘Terrorist Drills’, but surely isn’t it too late? We’ve been experiencing terrorist attacks for many years and we will never be prepared for the next. Who says the next one will be a biological/chemical attack? Who’s to say it wont be a huge bomb going off in the center of a major city, are we prepared for that? I personally feel that these drills are going to nothing but create paranoia within communities.

Related News Links:
www.newsday.com
www.newsday.com

[edit on 4-4-2005 by phixion]

[edit on 4-4-2005 by phixion]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Last time they did a large scale drill like this, we ended up with the WTC collapsing and the pentagon needing serious work :@

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
It's nice to know that if an all out terrorist attack were to occur, Kean University would be at least a little safe. Maybe I should start heading there now?
-S

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
It's not too late as long as there's a credible threat of terrorism anywhere in the country. The location or type of event don't matter so much as what they can learn from managing large numbers of people and resources in an emergency.

I'd rather see money spent on testing responses to terrorist attacks and natural disasters, than funding 15 different intelligence agencies that don't seem to be able to produce anything "intelligent".

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Laughable....

you say "weve been experiencing terrorist attacks for many years..."?
Just how many were there again?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This is theatre...keep the people dumbed down and running scared.

Remember a couple of months ago when an "malfunction" caused that emergency system broadcast in Connecticut? I'll look for the link.

I'm sure this is a part of that.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
TheUK have called their part of this tripartite operation: Exercise ATLANTIC BLUE. Canada have named theirs:Exercise TRIPLE PLAY.

The UK Home Office website states:

Exercise Atlantic Blue
International Objectives | Freqently Asked Questions
Exercise Atlantic Blue is due to take place 4-8 April 2005 and is designed to test simultaneous responses to internationally linked terrorist incidents, focusing on how we communicate across international borders at a strategic level.

On 17 March 2005 Home Office Minister Hazel Blears said:

"The threat from international terrorism remains real and serious, and is a worldwide concern. It is vital we make every effort to enhance and develop our resilience to this threat by working closely with our international colleagues. Exercise Atlantic Blue provides an excellent opportunity to do just this, through sharing best practice on emergency planning and response procedures."
Press Release 17 March

The Metropolitan Police Service is the host police force for the UK working closely with the Home Office and other government departments and London agencies on planning and delivery. Planning has taken over two years since it was first agreed between the UK and the US. See the statement issued in July 2003 by David Blunkett - An update on counter-terrorism and security issues.

The exercise will be a command post exercise (CPX). This means a real incident control room is set up to co-ordinate responses, but will not involve live action on the ground.

Running a CPX will allow the UK to focus entirely on strategic-level communication issues, rather than on the management of live play at an operational level which is regularly rehearsed around the country.

The Canada Exercise Triple Play will also run as a CPX, and, as with the UK will involve players from the emergency services, local and regional governments, and the health services.

The US TOPOFF 3 will run as a live play exercise, this means it will incorporate strategic level play, similar to that played UK and Canada, as well as play at an operational level. Exercise TOPOFF3 will involve more than 10,000 participants representing more than 200 federal, state, local, tribal, private sector and international agencies and organisations, as well as volunteer groups.

Full UK Home Office Statement

zero lift

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Last time they did a large scale drill like this, we ended up with the WTC collapsing and the pentagon needing serious work :@

Indeed, my thoughts exactly....and hopefully Cheney has nothing to do with THIS one!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The reason for these "high profiled" anti terror drills is to drill the message home to us ordinary citizens that we are still targets for terror. The war on terror cannot be successful if people forget what "terror" is. This is just a physchological tool being used on us....... and it also gives the first responders a chance to practice for the real event.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
The reason for these "high profiled" anti terror drills is to drill the message home to us ordinary citizens that we are still targets for terror. The war on terror cannot be successful if people forget what "terror" is. This is just a physchological tool being used on us....... and it also gives the first responders a chance to practice for the real event.

Of course. Most people know that without the media terrorists can't spread terror. The government can feed whatever they want to the media. What made you more afraid, the one time attack on the WTC or the coverage of it and then being told thrice daily that there's a terrorist hiding under your bed?

Anyone whith half a brain can deduce that Bush and his administration play the biggest part in making us terrorized by terrorists... the recent election shows us how many people have how much brain in the States

If there was a terrorist attack and everyone ignored it... no one was terrorized then the terrorists wouldn't have succeeded right? But we were afraid enough to support a war (one that coincidentally gave us control of quite a few oil fields) that had nothing to do with any terrorist attacks (unless you count the diversion of our fear of terror... wait... our fear of fear... hm.. we have nothing to fear but fear itself... hm...). I think those of us that weren't fooled into thinking that Iraq was responsible for 9/11 (or had anything to do with it) were scared that we might get one of Sadaam's nukes up our butts. It was fear, propagated by the government that drove half the country to become a lynch mob.

Before and during the first part of the war I, for one, thought the number of times a politician was making a speach about Sadaam having nukes or supporting Al-queda was rather suspiscious. If more people were conspiracy theorists then we wouldn't have been convinced of the invisible nukes and wouldn't have supported the war or the Patriot act.

So if there weren't nukes then why did we declare war. What was different about Iraq after 9/11 that we hadn't arrested Sadaam before but we did later? If we didn't find any nukes shoudn't we stick Sadaam back in there and give him an apology? Oh, we were liberating the Iraqi people? Why didn't we do it before? An they're liberated... shouldn't we butt out by now?

More than half the country reelected Bush... why? Bush obviously isn't a good world leader (though what is obvious to some may not be to others)... did they have Anybody But Kerry Syndrome like the rest of us had Anybody But Bush Syndrome?

We have the oil... great... why is gas getting more expensive? What are we paying for? Didn't we start drilling in Alaska? Not that I supported it, but since we have more (and our own) oil, shouldn't we be getting cheaper prices at the pump? I'm skating to work from now on, this is rediculous....

The rest of the world hates us... half of US hates us... we pick fights with whoever we want whenever we want... we're trying to stop illegal immigration while the ones that tell us to be afraid of terrorists are also telling us that open borders are ok (and thusly we shouldn't expect terrorists to exploit the open borders?) and that we NEED the cheap labor (we do NOT... there are plenty of homeless here in Santa Monica that I'm sure would love to mow your lawn and build your second story for a couple of sandwiches) WHAT THE HE||?

Now I done got myself all excited...
-S

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
Laughable....

you say "weve been experiencing terrorist attacks for many years..."?
Just how many were there again?

Hundreds. Check this site out - terrorism.about.com...

9-11 wasn´t the only terrorist attacks the world has seen, open your eyes.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by phixion]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by phixion

9-11 wasn´t the only terrorist attacks the world has seen, open your eyes.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by phixion]

I think nukunuku meant "we" as in the U.S. Self centered I know, but most of the terrorist attacks in the U.S. have been committed by Americans. Try as they might, the government can't link ALL of the terrorist attacks in America to Al-Queda (the way news tells it, Al-Queda was responsible for every major media event in some way or another... kinda like Forest Gump!).

Even in 2001, Americans only had a 1 in 100,000 (now it's a 1 in 350,000 chance) chance of being killed by a terrorist. Compare that to the 1 in 6,500 chance every American has of dying in a car chrash and you have a War on The Automotive Industry.
-S

top topics

join