It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone translate this strange tombstone?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Here is my guess ---

At the height of the fraternal movement in this country, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was the largest fraternal organization in the United States. Yes, they had more members than the Masons.

One of the obligations of an IOOF Lodge, was to ensure the respectful burial of their members. Some Lodges actually turned this into something of a cottage industry and ran their own low-cost funeral homes. More often, however, the Lodge simply made a purchase of a number of plots in a cemetery and used economies of scale to offer less expensive options to their membership.

At the same time, with so many Lodges springing up all over the place, Lodges were able to specialize. One Lodge might be devoted to retail employees or to house painters. Another might be made up largely -- even exclusively -- of German immigrants.

I suspect that if you look around the place where you see that plaque you'll find other gravestones with the the three chain links indicating Odd Fellow membership. That one marker looks like it might be meant not as a tombstone, but to mark an area of the cemetery for Mannheim Lodge 408, I.O.O.F.

Makes more sense than the idea that a German bus got buried in Ohio with an Odd Fellows tombstone, no?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
the 3 rings is the odd fellows symbol IOOF stands for independant order of Odd Fellows

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I believe the question was about the eye - it means all seeing. The three links are Odd Fellow links meaning - Friendship, Love, and Truth - bieng united in brotherhood.
The person was a member of the Odd Fellow lodge that is named below.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
you really dont want to know any more then this
who ever this was was verry powerfull
he was part of the skull and crossbones society also knowned as the brotherhood of the snake .
the eye is a symbol used by the masons/ilumminotti and is als symbelised by the pagans as the eye of horris or the eye of rah the pagan sun god you may have stumbeled on to the toumb of a masonic grand master and i sujest you stop seeking answers about this toumb.
you dont need to know anymore then that please dont ask anymore about this

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I am trying to find out about a very similar thing.
InSt. Martin's churchyard in Colchester, there are two seventeenth century gravestones with skull and crossbones ON the stone. Both deceased are said to be Bays Makers by trade. I haven't been able to find out what a bays maker is.ii

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join