It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone translate this strange tombstone?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I don't think there is a conspiracy behind this tombstone or anything but it really stuck me as strange looking so I photographed it. It came from a normal looking cemetery. I would not have even gave this tombstone a second thought but it had two skull and crossbones boxes to the right and left of the plate.

Picture of the Tombstone:
img142.exs.cx...

Picture of the left Skull and crossbone boxes:
img142.exs.cx...

I hope someone can help. I've been curious about this tombstone for a while.

EDIT: For a spelling error.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by zerotime]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
those three rings look like the sign of the "Order of Oddfellows" and the letters on the top seem to indicate the same.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I. O. O. F

International Order of Odd Fellows

dont know about the rest.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I think it just says "Honor the Dead"

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I tried doing a google search on the words written on the plate but I wasn't getting any help.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
google "odd fellows" its an offshoot society started in the early 1800s (perhaps before in Europe) in Maryland. look into it, there is some interesting info.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I. = Independent

Sorry. Hope this helps, Im not an expert by any means

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I'm looking into IOOF now. Found the following description from www.ioof.org...

To Improve and Elevate the Character of Man
In 17th century England, it was odd to find people organized for the purpose of giving aid to those in need and of pursuing projects for the benefit of all mankind. Those who belonged to such an organization were called "Odd Fellows". Odd Fellows are also known as "The Three Link Fraternity" which stands for Friendship, Love and Truth.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was founded on the North American Continent in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 26, 1819 when Thomas Wildey and four members of the Order from England instituted Washington Lodge No. 1. This lodge received its charter from Manchester Unity of Odd Fellows in England.

Odd Fellowship became the 1st national fraternity to include both men and women when it adopted the beautiful Rebekah Degree on September 20, 1851. This degree is based on the teachings found in the Holy Bible, and was written by the Honorable Schuyler Colfax who was Vice President of the United States during the period 1868-1873. Odd Fellows and Rebekahs were also the first fraternal organization to establish homes for our senior members and for orphaned children.

-------------------------------------------------

BTW, the picture was taken in the state of Ohio USA if anyone wanted to know. I do not know the cemeteries name. It was in North East Ohio.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Friendship, Love, and Truth.

These sound like great values for any society to admire and strive to uphold!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I wonder if this topic would get more information if it were moved to the Secret Societies forum?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
ehret die todten = honour the todten (todten being death or dead depending on tranaslation)

Its German.

Mannheim 408 is a BUS?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
i was invented to join the oddfellows 2 years ago in Red Bluff Ca steemed like very nice people

just my 2 cents i would've prolly joined if my wife to be didnt come into my life

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
If this topic needs to be moved please do so. I didn't really know where to post this at.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
No need to move the thread because the question has been answered. The tombstone is that of an Independant Order of Odd Fellows member. One of the ideals of this order is the bury the dead......

www.ioof.org

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
What about the skull and crossbones to each side? Are those normal? Or the eyeball in the center of the plate? Or the Mannheim 408? Or the U.O. and S.B.? What do these things symbolize or mean? Does this grave say "who" is actually buried here - Mannheim 408?

I see that the eye is on their clipart page, but I can't find a lot of information. www.ioof.org...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Ehret die todte means honour the dead
and Mannheim is the birthplace of the poor fellow and btw Mannheim is a quite large city in Germany...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Did a search on the words ''Ehret die todten'' and came up with a translation from German to English.

Intresting stuff.

Heres the link for the translation.

translate.google.com...://www.literaturwelt.com/werke/schiller/siegesfest.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dehret%252Bdie%252Bt odten%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Legalizer, those are trams on that page, not buses

And if it's a grave, where's the name? Unless it's a monument to a group of people who died while riding the Mannheim 408 tram.....??

Also, why would a German grave be in Ohio?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
why is the all seeing eye on the stone?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Indeed, there is more to this 'grave' than at first there seems to be.

U.O. S.B
United Order of Skull And Bones? Based on the skulls to the left and right, it seems applicable.

The fact that Skull and Bones is German ties up that link nicely.

Mannheim 408 seems like a code, probably a reference to the chapter number in the area.

Funny how you go from thinking its a grave of a poor chap to thinking if ANYONE is buried there, they really are a poor chap, as their life is complelely PWNed by this Order.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join