It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ivory Coast Set For Unrest- 8,000 Foreigners flee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The mandate for 10,000 French and UN peacekeepers in Cote D'Ivoire will end Monday and there is uncertainty over its extension. Militias loyal to the government are urging the French to leave. French intervention has annihilated the countries very small air force and has restrained the government from carrying out attacks against foreign-born Muslim rebels in the North. Stability in the nation is declining and the ethnically driven civil war threatens to resume.

news.bbc.co.uk
Britons are being urged to leave Ivory Coast immediately because of growing unrest, the UK Foreign Office has said.
The UK embassy has also closed, said Minister for Africa Chris Mullin.

The BBC's James Copnall in the main city, Abidjan, says there are growing fears of a return to civil war after several months of peace.

The mandate of 10,000 French and UN peacekeepers patrolling a buffer zone between the rebel-held north and the loyalist south expires on Monday. It is not yet clear whether it will be renewed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although the prospect of war in almost indisputably a bad thing, it bears mentioning that what the French have essentially done is protect an unofficial foreign takeover of a sovereign nation. 26% of the predominately Catholic Cote D'Ivoire consists of foreign workers from poorer nations to the North, especially Muslims from Burkina Faso. These people began a revolt in 2000 after a Burkinabe candidate was refused the right to run for President (Edit: I need to clarify that he was only half Burkinabe and is not a citizen of Burkina Faso). In 2002 units of the Army from the North mutinied and seized roughly half of the country. Peace would be nice, but it can certainly be argued that the people of Cote D'Ivoire, once a beacon of prosperity and stability in that region, have a right to kick the UN out and put down this immigrant uprising which has cost them a great deal over the past 5 years.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't think we can expect any response from the French relative to our Constitutional requirement that Presidents of the United States be native born and I don't see how such a question can be derived from the content of this story. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Ok --you had me until that last sentence -- I don't understand how you got from that article to letting Arnold run for President of the US?

Perhaps I am missing something - it is late here and it is always a possibility.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Forgive me for being unclear. Allow me to explain.
Ivory coast was a fairly stable country in the past. They attracted many foreigners, especially Burkinabe immigrants from neighboring Burkina Faso. Fully 30% of the Ivory Coast population are foreigners- 26% from neighboring nations and 4% European.
Much of the unrest in the North can be attributed to anger over that nations refusal to let a Burkinabe run for president. Alassane Dramane Ouattara was denied the right to run for president by that nations Supreme Court after General Guéi held elections in an attempt to legitimize his coup (the elections were rigged but Guéi was outed anyway by popular support for another candidate.)

So my comment was basically aimed at the fact that the French intervention is protecting a rebellion which is being lead by foreigners for foreigners.

That being said, I looked up Mr Ouattara in Wikipedia and learned something which has changed my opinion. He is NOT a citizen of Burkina Faso as I believed. He was born in Ivory Coast, one of his parents is from Ivory Coast, and he has been Prime Minister of Ivory Coast. Ivory Coast considers him a Burkinabe because one of his parents was. He is not technically a citizen or national of Burkina Faso either.

With this new information I would say that 1. My comparisson to Schwazenegger was flawed. 2. "Ivoirité" policies are excessively harsh towards foreign workers and the government forces aren't so much in the right as I would have said initially. 3. Despite that, it is still my opinion that in the bigger picture there has to be some guarantee of Cote d'Ivoire's sovreignity in the face of a very large very non-integrated foreign population.

EDIT: The last paragraph of the article has been edited to keep it as fair and factual as possible, even though that is the opinion paragraph. I believe the story remains worthwhile as it covers a the possible renewal of an ethnically motivated civil war between foreign workers and natives in a nation that has historically been important to French influence in Africa.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by The Vagabond]

top topics

join