It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amtrak Train Engine Derails in Washington (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
White Salmon. Wash
An Amtrak train left the tracks Sunday resulting in at lest 10 passengers being sent to hospital with minor injuries.
The train bound for Portland. Ore at the time had 115 people on board when the wheels of the locomotive left the track, fortunately the four passenger car that made up the train where left upright leaning against an embankment in the Columbia River Gorge 45 miles east of Portland.

story.news.yahoo.com
WHITE SALMON, Wash. - The engine of an Amtrak train derailed Sunday along the Columbia River, sending at least 10 passengers to hospitals with mostly minor injuries, officials said.
Three people remained in hospitals Sunday afternoon, including a pregnant woman who was admitted for observation. Seven others, including a man with a shoulder injury, were treated and released.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well all I can say, is that these passengers and crew are very lucky to be alive those train cars could have very easily had gone into the gorge instead of leaning against the embankment.

Amtrak: www.amtrak.com

[edit on 3/4/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Rail crews were clearing the track, but it was not expected to reopen until Monday, said Gus Melonas, a spokesman for BNSF Railway Co., which owns and operates the track.

So, the tracks were being repaired and were not yet ready for trains?

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I think what they mean is that the wreckage will be cleared and the track reopened, Not that they where working on the tracks.

[edit on 3/4/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Trains-
why no little 'scooter' running 1/2 mile up front? I don't understand the entire concept of modern train travel.

A little shuttle running in front of the train could find virtually every problem with a track. Sure train travel is safe compared to something else but when they wreck- wow.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Wow I saw this on TV and was amazed no one was hurt that badly. Usually thses types of derailments(that I hear about) are catastrophic.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
thats a brilliant idea, the scout train ahead of the train..

amazingly tho the gvt wouldnt approve due to budget cutbacks

top topics

join