It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile Mortar Systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I dont know if you guys have heard of
CARDOM
but I had a question what future operations can you see this system being in? The idea is that it can be launched from the back of a stryker, but I heard that there is a mortar vehicle in the FCS family and it basically is shot from a small cannon. Another question do still think this design will be usefull?

[edit on 3-4-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think the design will be useful it can be moved very fast because its on the Stryker it can be fired by the crew without the crew putting themselves at risk. I think it will be ok but it won't replace conventional Mortar set ups as it is not portable.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I still think that a modern mobile mortar system should look like this:

"AMOS is a mortar system comprising a turret with two 120 mm breech-loading mortar barrels mounted side by side. AMOS has been created through a co-operation agreement between Hägglunds and Patria Vammas Oy, of Finland. Hägglunds is developing and manufacturing the turret, whilst Patria Vammas is developing and manufacturing the weapon system. AMOS can be mounted on most wheeled or tracked vehicles, i.e the CV90, LAV. Compared with conventional mortars, AMOS has increased firepower, mobility and protection."

link to Hägglunds homepage

The system is designed for ultra-rapid fire rate, reaching a claimed 26 rpm burst, with multiple rounds simultaneous impact (MRSI) at 14 to 13,000m range.
link to above

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
once they iron out all the bugs it will be a good weapon to have

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There is have mobile artillery for that. It looks like one to me except its a bit smaller and more looks more maneuverable.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Here is another design from the US its called the
2R2M rifled 120MM mortar system. The reason I like it is because of its range, and mobility. Do you guys like this concept?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
FCS NLSO-M picture

"The Non-Line-of-Sight Mortar (NLOS-M) provides unparalleled responsiveness and lethality to the Unit of Action (UA) commander. The mortar provides fires in close support of tactical maneuvers that include destructive fires and special purpose fires. While working as part of an Non-Line-of-Sight Mortar (NLOS-M) battery, the Non-Line-of-Sight mortar-firing Precision Guided Mortar Munitions will deliver lethal fires to destroy high payoff and most dangerous targets, and provide area suppression in support of Unit of Action (UA) companies and platoons. The mortar and platoon are highly flexible and agile in establishing sensor-shooter linkages. It provides highly responsive, reliable, timely, accurate, and sustained rates of fire and rates of kill with 24/7 availability in all weather and terrain conditions at extended ranges. The Non-Line-of-Sight Mortar (NLOS-M) system provides precision-guided fires to destroy, protective fires to suppress and obscure the enemy and illumination fires all in close support of Unit of Action (UA) Combined Arms Battalions (CABs) maneuver units. The platoon provides responsiveness with fires on-demand to engage complex and simultaneous target sets. The command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR) network enables the FCS Non-Line-of-Sight Mortar (NLOS-M) fire control system to conduct semi- to autonomous computation of technical fire direction, automatic gun lay, preparation of the ammunition for firing and mortar round firing. Vastly improved handling, loading and firing systems will be another centerpiece of Non-Line-of-Sight Mortar (NLOS-M). The mortar platoon will retain a dismounted 81mm mortar capability for complex terrain."

[edit on 10-4-2005 by NWguy83]

top topics

join