It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists Peak Out Against Second Hand Spit!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
For years anti-smoking campaigns have battled the tobacco industries in and out of the court room. In many states, smoking inside public buildings has been made illegal. Here in California, it is illegal to smoke in a car with a passenger that is under the age of 18. People have even gotten court orders banning their neighbors from smoking inside of their own houses!

Even Phillip Morris is promoting was to quit smoking and preventive measures to keep kid from smoking.

All the while, smokeless tobacco companies are quietly rising up the industry ladder. They remained almost unnoticed until just recently.

Abandoning their efforts to rid the country of cigarette smoke, many activists now target tobacco chewers! Second hand chewing tobacco can be just as bad as second hand tobacco smoke. The only problem is that there are far fewer laws pertaining to chewing tobacco than there are for smokable tobacco. You can chew in public places. You can chew in a baseball stadium in front of little kids. You can chew all you like in a car or in your house. You may even chew in a hospital elevator.

Not for long!
-Read the atricle!
-S

Urn

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
ya, but the difference is that "second-hand" chewing tobacco doesn't permiate an entire room, in other words, your not "forcing" your addiction on anybody else....

and as for ppl seeing sombody chewing, and deciding to "jump on the band wagon" so to speak, just because i see sombody shoot themselves in the face doesn't mean i'm gonna follow suit...

for the record, i am a smoker...

ps:...i just thought i should add that, spitting used tobacco in a public place is a bit digusting, so if thats what they are getting at, than i agree, acctually spitting it on the ground in a public place should not be allowed..

[edit on 3-4-2005 by Urn]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Urn, I just quit smoking....
Did you read the article? You might find it enlightening.
-S

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Please look at the source. Read the article. You've got to be kidding me!

"I can't go to a bar without coming home reeking of tobacco spit," Abramson said. "I have to wring my clothes out in the sink before I go to bed. Sometimes, I'll get them back from the dry-cleaners with flakes of chew still clinging in the weave."

"The way people view secondhand spit needs to change," said Lindsey Hurness, a bartender in Tampa, FL. "People spit their gobs of old chew everywhere—in drink glasses, in plants, in the sink (True). And the floors are slick with pools of spit. Sometimes, on busy weekend nights, the goopy brown stuff comes up to my shoelaces." (Yeah, Right!)

"Ask any frequent traveler: It's hell to be on a plane if the other passengers are chewing tobacco," said business consultant Jessica Mallard, who is on the road 250 days a year. "Even when I get a window seat, I walk off the plane with half of my blazer absolutely drenched in the stuff." (Yeah Right...Maybe they're spitting on you for a reason...)

"There was a time, 10 or 15 years ago, when hotels could get along with one wet-vac," said Red Roof Inn vice president Ronald Henneman, who oversees housekeeping for the national chain. "No more. We extracted enough tobacco-saliva slurry from our carpets last year to float the Queen Mary." (Ahem)

Just ask yourself, "How biased is this site?" I don't chew tobacco, but it's obvious to me!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Ever been around people who chew?
Its really vial, they spend like half their day gobbing into anything they can find.
My brother smokes cigars, and its the same thing, spit spit spit and the spitoon smell does rise up and collect on clothing, rugs etc.

Hehe, here's a funny store. Back in '88 I worked in a 7-11, I was going to leave for Florida the next day so I cracked open a can of chew and tried it out...I immediately spit it out behind some products on the shelf. Man that stuff is nasty.

Tobacco chew should be replaced with hemp chew, mmm good, accept when a splinter gets caught in your tonsils, ouch!

Urn

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Tobacco chew should be replaced with hemp chew, mmm good, accept when a splinter gets caught in your tonsils, ouch!

now THERES an idea...lol

and yes i did read the article....i find it a little hard to believe people would be horkin that crap all over the place willy-nilly. i know for a fact that if a bouncer or any employee at any bar where i live saw somone doin that, they would be kicked out on their ear in a heart beat....not to mention if any patrons saw it they would complain immediately...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Ron, on behalf of the Onion, I take offense! The Onion is America's finest news source! It says so on the web site. They've published several books. You should check them out!
-S

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
And people that snort up snot, hack then thu-woo (kind of spit)

Disgusting! Never get the slickness off your pool balls. Speaking of pool balls, how come poker's have chips anyway? that don't make no sense t'all.

an coke-heads, what kind a moron snorts coke threw a straw? Is cheery-coke used fer that?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Heh the Onion - I thought this sounded familiar.

It truly is the world's greatest news source, and it's news is sometimes equally as important and interesting as regular news.

Some of my favorites:

King Latifah Returns to USA to find his Queen

Help! My TiVo Thinks I'm Gay

Point/ Counter Point: I Am SO Starving

And the best was the retareded kid at Burger King doing a better job than the snotty teens he works with followed up with the stupid kids who ruined Christmas by misusing their toys and being injured.

Didn't the Chinese media pick up a story a few years ago from the Onion about singing in the Senate and publish it as real?

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Spitting itself is disgusting IMO.

Here, in UK, we have seen an alarming increase in TB eg here. However, footballers (soccer players to USA people
!) - and other sportsmen - have embellished spitting ino an art formeg here. Can the latter serve as role models to young,impressionable people and thereby give a feeling that spitting is "cool"??

Oh, and found this "Oklahoma man gets life in jail for spitting" whils Googling for subject.

Beware all.....

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Ever been around people who chew?

I sure have! Probably 30% of my friends chew or dip. 99% of those carry around a plastic cup with a napkin in it, then throw it in the trash when they're through.

Ron, on behalf of the Onion, I take offense! The Onion is America's finest news source! It says so on the web site. They've published several books. You should check them out!
-S

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Ron, jeez you know a lot of people who chew. I don't even know one.

Newman, I wonder what's so special about three strikes? I know baseball is one of those "all American" sports, but sheesh! To be fair, the guy who spat on the officer was a scum bag, but we have this thing here called "Double Jeopordy". Basically it means that one can't be convicted of the same crime twice... apparently it doesn't count if you've committed another crime... they just reconvict you for the first one and add your sentence to the second and third.

I understand the necessity of the three strikes law. It's to keep a man from raping more than three children. Or to keep a serial killer from killing more than three people. I'm sure it's not to put a man away for life for spitting at a cop... or for stealing aspirin, or from smoking some reefer, or any of the other ridiculous, famous, undeserving third strikers.

Could you imagine a man serving ten years for spitting on a cop and then appearing before a parole board?

"Do you feel that you have been rehabilitated?"
"Yes ma'am. I understand the evil of spitting at police officers. When I get out of prison I plan to raise anti-spitting awareness country-wide!"
-S

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
They should just ban smoking altogether everywhere. Make it illegal along with alcohol. Then ban McDonalds, and then ban the sell of sugar.

You don't need any of those things to survive.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Altmis
They should just ban smoking altogether everywhere. Make it illegal along with alcohol. Then ban McDonalds, and then ban the sell of sugar.

You don't need any of those things to survive.

You're right, and while we're at it, we should ban liberty and freedom. We should ban art and emotion. We should ban people of color. We should ban cooked or processed foods. We should ban contraception... I mean as long as we're banning things that we don't need to survive.
-S

P.S. "Tobacco chew should be replaced with hemp chew, mmm good, accept when a splinter gets caught in your tonsils, ouch!"

I know many people who chew chronic stems. Can't say that I've ever noticed that it "does" anything for you, but it does taste good. Tea too.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by ServoHahn]

Urn

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ServoHahn
I know many people who chew chronic stems. Can't say that I've ever noticed that it "does" anything for you, but it does taste good. Tea too.

it doesn't do any thing fore ya, theres no THC in the stems, or at least very VERY little.....

just an FYI

Urn

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
oh ya, congratulations on quiting smoking by the way ServoHahn
i can't seem to muster the will power to even TRY to quit smoking myself

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Urn]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The Onion, America's Finest News Source.

This would have been better five days ago, but...

PS BTW, the article link is now "U.S. High School Gets Student Exchange" (hint, hint)

[edit on 4/6/2005 by supercheetah]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Anyway, I had a long reply here about smoking but I accidentally deleted it. I'm too tired to rewrite it right now but I'll get back to you tomorrow with info on where the story went. In the mean time.

Beware of the Africanized Flea!
-S

[edit on 6-4-2005 by ServoHahn]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
first this, then sooner or later u cant scratch your nuts in public (think of the children
). after that , having a pebis will be illegal. its a slipperly slope from there to regulation of all forms of personal appearance, social custom, and various other forms of institutionalized stupidity.

regulation of smoke makes sense because people breath air. regulation of spit is facisim because you can look the other way, and we already have laws against littering.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
the fact of the matter is there's really not that many people chewing...because its disgusting. Here it is five years later, and second hand chew...lol...whatever that is is the least of my worries...

thats what the OP gets for listening to the onion, I mean come on!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join