It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Mark Thatcher refused U.S. visa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The United States government has refused a residence visa for mark Thatcher. The application came after Thatcher, the son of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, had plead guilty to South Africa's anti-mercenary laws in a failed coup attempt. Thatchers wife and family reside in Texas.

www.cnn.com
LONDON, England (AP) -- Sir Mark Thatcher said Sunday that American authorities had rejected his application for a visa to live in the United States with his wife and children.

The son of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher applied for the visa after pleading guilty to violating South Africa's anti-mercenary laws by unwittingly helping bankroll a coup plot in Equatorial Guinea. He received a four-year suspended sentence and was fined U.S.$506,000 (euro381,000).

"It is quite true that my visa application has been rejected," Mark Thatcher said in a statement released by his spokesman, Lord Bell. "It was always a calculated risk when I plea bargained in South Africa."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, fail in your coup attempt and you shall be denied entry. He can reapply in two years, but the statement said that he was warned about even coming as a tourist. I wonder if his wife is a U.S. citizen or simply has a residence visa. AT any rate, he gets to keep living with mom in London for the time being.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have read about this man before. He's an entrepreneur, but one who doesn't always make the right decisions.

I was able to locate another news source about this. Below is a link on BBC’s UK site, with links to other past articles about Mr. Thatcher, as well as the current article.

BBC Article (with pic)

-VW

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I believe his wife is a Texan.

Mark Thatcher got himself mixed up in this coup plot in Equatorial Guinnea which was foiled, and he was subsequently prosecuted with a number of others.

With this conviction on his record he acknowledged that going back to the States could be a problem. Looks like his family will have to live elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
A white collar that dables in the money and power that can be bought from the color of sanguine. I'm glad he was refused a VISA, he is a despicable person.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
does anyone have anything on the failed coup attempt? the way he stated about the plea bargan being risky sounds like he possibly was not involved but could have taken a plea bargan possibly for other reasons.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
does anyone have anything on the failed coup attempt? the way he stated about the plea bargan being risky sounds like he possibly was not involved but could have taken a plea bargan possibly for other reasons.

Looks good on him I’m glad he was refused, to bad he bought his way out of Africa.

from ATSNN
NEWS: Mark Thatcher Agrees To Bargain In Coup Case

Mark Thatcher Charged In Coup Plot

Thatcher Loses Court Bid

Thatcher’s son arrested for coup plot

[edit on 3/4/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
hes not a bad guy, zimbabwe's government needs ousting badly, if it was successful i bet he'd be a welcomed guest here.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Ok playing devils advocate here -- if he had been granted admission everyone would say it is only because he is former PM Thatchers son. So it was a no win situation -- people will be upset if he got in and people will be upset that he didn't.

And a lesson to learn here -- if you are going to be involved in a coup either make sure it wins or be sure that no one can identify you.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Let this be a lesson to all of you amateur plotters out there. Unsuccsessful coups will not be tolerated the US aspires to a higher level of white collar criminal asking for visas!!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
1/2 million fine but no jail time?

White collar crime punishment always amazes me. Give this guy 5 years hard labor in the Sudan and there would be less mercenaries out trying to stage coups.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

top topics

join