It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purple bear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Ok so it's not going to be as good as you may first have thought, but some zoo has got a purple polar bear. It has been caused by some medicine they gave it, that has dyed it's fur purple. I've just seen it on the news and haven't found a picture yet, but soon as i do i'll post it.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well, you sure got me intrigued.

I was going to make some kind of a joke but the fact that there is a purple polar bear walking around has baffled me so as to cause my mind to freeze.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Man this is annoying, ive seen it twice on the news but both times missed the zoo name

But from the report it is an ordinary polar bear that has some kind of skin problem, so the vets their have given it this stuff to clear it up. The side effect is it has turned the bears fur purple (well violet). But if anyone else knows about it PLEASE PLEASE post a picture, as it just looks great

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This baby's not violet, she's straight-up PURPLE!
Damn. This is so cool. Someone buy me one???

She's in Mendoza Zoo in Argentina. Awwww!!
www.reuters.com...

-B.
(subliminal: i want a purple polar bear, i want a purple polar bear...)

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
YESSSS at last someone found a picture, at least no one will think im mad now.

As for wanting one? sure ill get you an adult polar bear, and maybe you might just last 5 minutes before it chews on your head.

But it still looks pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
...ARGGGH! It almost looks like that spawn of Satan himself 'Barney the Dinosaur'...

...someone shoot it! Someone shoot it!

No wait...it looks like the Cookie Monster...coooooool....

[Edited on 20-7-2003 by alien]

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...ARGGGH! It almost looks like that spawn of Satan himself 'Barney the Dinosaur'...

...someone shoot it! Someone shoot it!

No wait...it looks like the Cookie Monster...coooooool....

[Edited on 20-7-2003 by alien]

DON'T SHOOT MY BEAR!!!!

I'll give you a cookie if you don't.
Please?
-B.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Cookie monster

Doubt it eats cookies though, well unless their still attatched to someones arm.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Who heard of medicine that dyes hair? I bet they dyed the hair purple to draw crowds to the zoo.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 08:08 AM
link   
After seeing that picture, I thought exactly the same as Freddie, and that is what I wanted to post. This is a crowd-pulling PETA-enraging hoax.

But the days of 'me-too' and 'ditto' posts are numbered, so it is not really on for me to just reinforce Freddie's statement. I need to find something new to say.

Baby polar bear to parents: Am I a polar bear?

Parents: Yes, son.

Baby polar bear: Are you sure I'm a polar bear?

Parents: Yes, son, of course.

Baby polar bear: But are you really, really sure? Are you sure there isn't a mistake?

Parents: Yes, son. You are definitely certified 100% polar bear.

Baby polar bear: Then why am I so #ing cold?

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I feel sorry for her. And I think everybody ought to be ashamed for poking fun at her
After all, it's not easy being purple.

I wonder if any of the other polar bears even let her play polar bear games.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well, VH, if bears are like humans, their must be some bears that are into "alternative" bears. Next do they pierce her nipples? Perhaps dress her all in black?

ID

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
"I wonder if any of the other polar bears even let her play polar bear games. "

Sounds like Rudolf to me.

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen pertaining to dyed animals. If it were my zoo I would dye all my polar bears different colors and make them fight. Well, I suppose that's why I am not in charge of a zoo, I would get arrested so fast. Three words: monkey knife fights. (sorry for going so off topic)

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   
if the zoo dyed the bear's fur purple for publicity, they suck and shouldn't be handling animals. but if it's just a mistake of nature or of some medicine...how cool! lol. as long as it's not harmful to the animal (and it's not a stupid publicity stunt), rock on! it looks like a big Care Bear

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   

looks like a big carebear

Hehe wouldn't want to be hugged by it though

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I had a teddy bear that just looked like that...

But anyway....what if Pranksters did that? Did they say they saw the bear turn purple before their eyes? But if the Zoo did it for a publicity stunt then Poor bear!

I mean I have never seen skin cream for animals dye their fur like that color...

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Look at the bars in front of the bear; they are purple to. Looks like someone changed the hue and saturation for that area in the pic to purple

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
another picture of the bear here i.cnn.net...

The color is better in this pic, the bars aren't purple.

Here's the CNN story:
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) -- Paint the polar bear purple and the crowds will come.

That seems to be the lesson a local zoo in Mendoza has learned, after its 23-year-old bear Pelusa was sprayed with an antiseptic spray that turned her normally white fur a dark shade of violet.

The unusual color -- a temporary side effect of the treatment for dermatitis -- has turned the aging bear into a minor celebrity in Argentina and prompted thousands of schoolchildren and tourists to make their way to the Jardin Zoologico de Mendoza in the western city beneath the snow-capped Andes.

"We never thought she would get all the attention she's now receiving," veterinarian Alberto Duarte told The Associated Press when reached by telephone in Mendoza, 640 miles (1,000 kilometers) west of Buenos Aires. "We've had calls from Spain and e-mails from around the world asking about the bear."

The newspaper Los Andes, of Mendoza, reported that Pelusa's "new look" has turned her into the zoo's most popular attraction, surpassing giraffes Tommy and Belen.

The spray applied to Pelusa is similar to one used by pediatricians to treat children's scraped knees or lab technicians to stain micro-organisms for examination under microscopes.

Pelusa, a 395-pound bear (180 kilograms) has been temporarily placed in a cage because of the treatment, and is separated from her mate Arturo. She is also kept back a distance from the public.

The separation, Duarte said, was needed to keep Pelusa from taking her regular plunge into an icy pool of water at the polar bear compound. That would have washed away the medicine prematurely, he said.

The isolation has not seemed to bother Pelusa but it has left Arturo, a 16-year-old male almost double the weight of his mate, a bit grumpy, Duarte said.

After all, the two -- who have been together for years -- have been kept apart for 20 days.

"The only one a bit anxious is Arturo, but they'll be back together soon," Duarte said. "Pelusa's condition is improving and in one more week we will stop with the antiseptic and she'll again be able to take her normal baths."

He added that once Pelusa begins to swim again, "she will lose her violet color" quickly.

Until then, though, she'll have to endure the crowds peering into her pen and possibly even the occasional paparazzi looking to snap a shot or two.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I wish I had a purple dog.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join