It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to become Americas 51st State?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Hmmm... Interesting. What do the Aussies on the board have to say about it? (How about those from other potential 51st states, such as Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, ect, that may or may not want the status as 51st state?)

Australia May Become 51st State
18-Jul-2003

Tess Livingstone writes in the Australia Courier-Mail that Australia may become our 51st state. American-born historian David Mosler says there's a 20% chance of Australia becoming a state in the next 50 years, and chances would increase if there was an al-Qaeda attack on Australia or if nearby Indonesia becomes a fundamentalist Islamic country.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I hope airline tickets go down I would really like to visit, or maybe we could build a bridge

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:03 AM
link   
...frankly I find the news article, in some way, offensive...and I'm not even Australian:

"Tess Livingstone writes in the Australia Courier-Mail that Australia may become our 51st state. American-born historian David Mosler says there's a 20% chance of Australia becoming a state in the next 50 years, and chances would increase if there was an al-Qaeda attack on Australia or if nearby Indonesia becomes a fundamentalist Islamic country."

Why would an al-Qaeda attack upon Australia, or a close-by Fundy Islamic country make Aussie more likely to become an American state?? I don't see how. Unless America believes it in Australias best interests to 'occupy' Australia for their own protection, all in the nicest possible way of course...for I wouldn't see Australia handing over the reigns of their country willingly...

Mosler says Australians have no national flag and a weak sense of nationhood and have simply replaced their former British culture with American ideas.

No national flag?? Weak sense of nationhood?? Think this Mosler drop-kicks needs to put down the crack-pipe, pull his head outa his mommas butt and actually take a look around. The Aussies I know have a FIERCE sense of national pride.

As for Americanisation...meh...its happening pretty much all around the world. But it isn't about Assimilation, its about COMBINATION...combining the best of all the world has to offer. Replacement of British culture?? No...that is still there...but its also modified into an Australian Culture.

Some of the advantages for them as a state would be becoming part of the U.S. military, using the world's strongest currency, gaining a Bill of Rights, and fielding basketball and baseball

Becoming part of the US Military...advantage?? Debateable. World Strongest Currency...at the moment, getting a bit shaky though, even against the NZ Dollar which is saying a lot
Gaining a Bill of Rights?? Gees this Mosler needs to get a clue...what...is Australia without any form of Law/Sanctions governing rights?? Bill of Rights...what a joke. Basketball and Baseball...hahahaha...yeah, now THERES a reason to want to become an America *snooooore*

...find it total crap that our brothers in arms (Aussies) are being made out to almost be like Americas b...ch. Ain't gonna happen...ANZAC all the way...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Hey, I didnt write it, I just found it!

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Hey, I didnt write it, I just found it!

...I know...just spouting off at the idiot who wrote it...

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Cool! Anyone from Oz, please tell me what you have to offer America other than a bunch of drunken criminals. Just kidding. This will not happen in my life time. Turn it into one state? Geez, that would be one big state.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I agree with Alien. More idiotic, anti-US symbolism and feelings....the article is crude as is the author......

Australia is simply Australia.....besides, we have enough "states"....

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have Australia as a 51st but Australia is doing just fine on her own.

If this makes no sense...don't jump me...just got up this a.m. heh

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   
seekerof, it is an obvious tongue in cheek editorial.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...frankly I find the news article, in some way, offensive...and I'm not even Australian:

"Tess Livingstone writes in the Australia Courier-Mail that Australia may become our 51st state. American-born historian David Mosler says there's a 20% chance of Australia becoming a state in the next 50 years, and chances would increase if there was an al-Qaeda attack on Australia or if nearby Indonesia becomes a fundamentalist Islamic country."

Why would an al-Qaeda attack upon Australia, or a close-by Fundy Islamic country make Aussie more likely to become an American state?? I don't see how. Unless America believes it in Australias best interests to 'occupy' Australia for their own protection, all in the nicest possible way of course...for I wouldn't see Australia handing over the reigns of their country willingly...

Mosler says Australians have no national flag and a weak sense of nationhood and have simply replaced their former British culture with American ideas.

No national flag?? Weak sense of nationhood?? Think this Mosler drop-kicks needs to put down the crack-pipe, pull his head outa his mommas butt and actually take a look around. The Aussies I know have a FIERCE sense of national pride.

As for Americanisation...meh...its happening pretty much all around the world. But it isn't about Assimilation, its about COMBINATION...combining the best of all the world has to offer. Replacement of British culture?? No...that is still there...but its also modified into an Australian Culture.

Some of the advantages for them as a state would be becoming part of the U.S. military, using the world's strongest currency, gaining a Bill of Rights, and fielding basketball and baseball

Becoming part of the US Military...advantage?? Debateable. World Strongest Currency...at the moment, getting a bit shaky though, even against the NZ Dollar which is saying a lot
Gaining a Bill of Rights?? Gees this Mosler needs to get a clue...what...is Australia without any form of Law/Sanctions governing rights?? Bill of Rights...what a joke. Basketball and Baseball...hahahaha...yeah, now THERES a reason to want to become an America *snooooore*

...find it total crap that our brothers in arms (Aussies) are being made out to almost be like Americas b...ch. Ain't gonna happen...ANZAC all the way...

Peace,
ALIEN

Just what I was going to say. Could you guess the type of arseholes they would become if this happened.

The only good thing to come out of it would be America being taught how to play that game they call football, with the oval ball, properly. Without the sissy body armour. Or New Zealand might benifit from the softening effect that America would have on our neighbors. Maybe we might get that Ol'mug back!

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddas
Just what I was going to say. Could you guess the type of arseholes they would become if this happened.

The only good thing to come out of it would be America being taught how to play that game they call football, with the oval ball, properly. Without the sissy body armour. Or New Zealand might benifit from the softening effect that America would have on our neighbors. Maybe we might get that Ol'mug back!

...damn straight...American Football is just plain 'sissy-fied'...take off the helmets and pads, actually play a WHOLE game without wimping out and having offensive/defensive teams...don't stand around tapping everyones butt congratulations when a tackle is made - GET UP, grab the ball and go hard again...don't wimp out and call medic if you have something like a broken arm or one of ya testies torn from ya sack, meh, keep playing and lead your team to the win! Oh hang on...that wouldn't make it American Football any more...that would make it Rugby or League...

...and yes, I have played American Football, against Americans...you guys get owned so easy...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
seekerof, it is an obvious tongue in cheek editorial.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but it did make me feel better when I said that I had also just woken up...hehe

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:23 AM
link   
There is possibly a greater chance of secession of States in our lifetimes than the annexation of new States.

Surely Canada and Mexico are prime candidates in the author's philosophy? Why annex just tourist centres with few oil and people resources?

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Fear not, Cyber-Ozzies. The US will become the 32nd state of Mexico (no, alternatively rational ones,the Federal District isn't a state -there are only 31) long before that.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Forget the sissified American football, I ain't sharing no country with a bunch of kangaroo sodomizers who have been poisoning my countrymen with the likes of Fosters beer!

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
been poisoning my countrymen with the likes of Fosters beer!

I'll have you know that Fosters ranks 3rd on my beer list! Only Stella Artois and Oranjeboom are better.......American beer is weak and tasteless

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...and yes, I have played American Football, against Americans...you guys get owned so easy...

Hey, Alien...why not come visit me and my little backyard Football team out in the states? We don't get owned. And we DO keep going...heh.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

I'll have you know that Fosters ranks 3rd on my beer list! Only Stella Artois and Oranjeboom are better.......American beer is weak and tasteless

BS! Gimme a cold bottle of Budweiser ANYDAY! Fosters tastes like total crap.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Who did Kano say drank Forsters in Australia? I can't remember the exact wording, but it was basically crazies and bums.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Forget the sissified American football, I ain't sharing no country with a bunch of kangaroo sodomizers who have been poisoning my countrymen with the likes of Fosters beer!

and Russel Crowe, The Aussies can claim him, we've disowned him.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesLimelight

Originally posted by chebob

BS! Gimme a cold bottle of Budweiser ANYDAY! Fosters tastes like total crap.

Not only will me and Alien whip your arses in a game of ball, but we'll also drink you under the table.

Bud
Considered sports water here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join