It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCS questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well this thread is for questions about the future combat system family of systems, one of my questions was what
armor
they would be using. I found out some info the armor , so if you have any questions about the systems this is the thread to ask your questions.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
what about

Modular Expandable Armor System (MEXAS)
(IBD)

Modular Expandable Armor System (MEXAS) protection, which has provided basic protection suite for over 12,500 combat vehicles worldwide, including the US Army 4x4 ASV armored security vehicle where MEXAS is used in an armor protection kit developed by Simula. Other MEXAS users include Renault 6x6 VAB and German Fuchs APCs, the new German-Dutch GTK/MARV (also known as Boxer) and the Dingo all protected vehicle. Mexas is also utilized as add-on armor for Leopard 2 tanks, Canadian Leopard I family of armored vehicles and Norwegian M-113 APCs operating in Kosovo (KFOR). As with other MEXAS applications, the M-113 protection can be applied in different levels to protect against threats from 14.5mm AP up-to 30mm AP, while surviving heavy AT mine blasts (TMRP 6 EFP, TMA 1-5 and TM46).

Ultrax/CLARA Hybrid-Reactive Armor
(Verseidag Indutex / Dynamit Nobel)

Ultrax based plates, capable of stopping multiple hits of armor-piercing round up to 30mm. The specific weight of such armor is 70km/m2. The company has collaborated with Dynamit-Nobel, to develop a new reactive armor concept called CLARA, proposed as an add-on armor for the German Marder AIFV. The lightweight metal-free CLARA reactive armor module combines layers of sheet explosives and composites which effectively engage the shaped charge plasma jet of an incoming CE threat, but creates no fragments, as after the explosion the composite material disintegrates into chaff. When combined with the Ultrax base armor, the combined module provides protection both against RPG/ATGW attacks as well as KE threats, at a specific weight of approx. 270kg/m2.

and

Multifunction Self Protection System (MUSS)

The prototype system is currently under development at Krauss Maffei Wegmann and EADS under a technology evaluation of the Federal office of Defense Technology & Procurement (BWB). During the test phase, the system was mounted on a Leopard 2 tank which successfully defended itself against various missile threats. MUSS weighs 65 to 160kg, depending on the equipment application, uses a combination of four sensors each covering an arc of 95x70 degrees, with a resolution of +/- 1.5 degrees. The sensors employ UV missile launch signature and laser detectors. When a threat is detected, the system responds within 1 – 1.5 seconds activating a smoke screen or directing infrared jamming signal toward the launching platform. During testing integration of the MUSS was designed for BOXER, FENNEK, and PUMA vehicles, as well as the Leopard 2A5 tanks.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wodan

Ultrax based plates, capable of stopping multiple hits of armor-piercing round up to 30mm. The specific weight of such armor is 70km/m2. The company has collaborated with Dynamit-Nobel, to develop a new reactive armor concept called CLARA, proposed as an add-on armor for the German Marder AIFV. The lightweight metal-free CLARA reactive armor module combines layers of sheet explosives and composites which effectively engage the shaped charge plasma jet of an incoming CE threat, but creates no fragments, as after the explosion the composite material disintegrates into chaff. When combined with the Ultrax base armor, the combined module provides protection both against RPG/ATGW attacks as well as KE threats, at a specific weight of approx. 270kg/m2.

Intresting articles you have there, I wasn't saying that the armor on the link was the only option. In fact it the stuff on my link was more of a requirment for the FCSs armor then the actual armor.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell

Intresting articles you have there, I wasn't saying that the armor on the link was the only option. In fact it the stuff on my link was more of a requirment for the FCSs armor then the actual armor.

I know, but I wanted to show whats already developed, and will be perfected in future

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

what about

Modular Expandable Armor System (MEXAS)
(IBD)

Modular Expandable Armor System (MEXAS) protection, which has provided basic protection suite for over 12,500 combat vehicles worldwide, including the US Army 4x4 ASV armored security vehicle where MEXAS is used in an armor protection kit developed by Simula. Other MEXAS users include Renault 6x6 VAB and German Fuchs APCs, the new German-Dutch GTK/MARV (also known as Boxer) and the Dingo all protected vehicle. Mexas is also utilized as add-on armor for Leopard 2 tanks, Canadian Leopard I family of armored vehicles and Norwegian M-113 APCs operating in Kosovo (KFOR). As with other MEXAS applications, the M-113 protection can be applied in different levels to protect against threats from 14.5mm AP up-to 30mm AP, while surviving heavy AT mine blasts (TMRP 6 EFP, TMA 1-5 and TM46).

I just realized something they had something like this for the M8 Armored gun system. The common thing is the both have different levels of protection, the XM8 had three levels of armor.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Here
it is

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I just found something out the
JCM or joint common missile might be used for the FCS system beyond visual range missile. Any comments? I think that this missile will be great with a fire and forget capability, and pretty good range, and besides it must be good the army is spending 5 billion dollars for 55,000 missiles over a twenty year period. Not saying the army always makes wise decisions, but still to invest that much money shows that they have real faith in the program.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell

I just found something out the
JCM or joint common missile might be used for the FCS system beyond visual range missile. Any comments? I think that this missile will be great with a fire and forget capability, and pretty good range, and besides it must be good the army is spending 5 billion dollars for 55,000 missiles over a twenty year period. Not saying the army always makes wise decisions, but still to invest that much money shows that they have real faith in the program.

JCM is all but dead. Only the Army still wants it. But it is working on C-KEM (compact kenetic energy missile) which is a smaller version of LOSSAT, to replace TOW.

top topics

join