It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time psychology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Although we all know about time being relative with regards to motion, I also believe that time is relative in a psychological way too. What you may regard as present for yourself is probably other people's past or their future since their "time" has not reached that event yet. I don't know if I sound confusing, but to make it clear let me explain.
Compare a husband and wife for a day. The husband has a real slow day at the office, and the wife is out shopping in a big shopping centre. She is enjoying herself so much that time just flies for her. The husband, on the other hand, checks his watch every hour or so, and finds time going really slow. When the wife checks her watch, its 5pm, she cant believe how fast time went and she realises she has to go home. The husband, after a slow boring day, is finally happy that its 5pm, and goes home to meet the wife at 5.30.
Now here is where my theory comes to play. When the wife comes home and meets her husband, I believe that each is in their own relative frame of time. For the wife, she feels she is in the present and she is actually with her "future" husband whose "present" time may still be 10 or 11am in the morning. And for the husband, when his "present" time finally comes at 5.30pm, he is actually with the "past" of his wife.
I am trying to explain that no two "present" simultanous times are actually in the same reference.
Anyway, I hope I make sense with that analogy. Anybody agree with it?

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Interesting idea but I think while time is relative to the individual, it is still the same for us all as far as measurement. It's all about perception more than anything. For example the husband and wife may have a had differing days but at the end they will still be home at the same time according to the clock. You could test if things went differently with a super accurate watch and synchronize them with someone else and have a fast/slow day each, then come back and compare the times on the watches, they will likely be the same. The speed of the clock never changes, just how fast or slow the brain is working.

There you go about as clear as mud

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
note that none of these set "constants" supposidly changes, but that doesnt change the fact that the observer, to a yet undetermined amount, actually creates his/her own reality based on what they expect to happen. quantum/string/holographic universe theory. its really weird.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Yes, I agree that the clock will show that there is no time delay or accelleration, and the clock will be at the same time for both of them when they meet at 5.30. But I just believe that our perception of time is so great that each individuals perception of time is relative. I just cant see how if one person's day comes really quick for them, and for the other person it is so slow, that they can both share the same "present" time. But then again, maybe the brain has ways of balancing out these apparent time divisions and elapses.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
i agree. i believe time is an entirely personal phenomenon and we all experience it at different rates. we still exist at the same point in time though, not to say that there is 'a' point in time, or time at all.

in reply to the clock at home being the same etc... the clock has it's own time too, so is totally inaccurate
the hands just happen to move at roughly the same rate as every other clock in the world - humans made them that way. doesn't mean the material that makes up the clock is experiencing time at one constant rate. if you get me...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Hey we might have the next Tesla here. Dam I was hoping I could be the next Tesla

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
hehe, I wish I was the next Nikola Telsa. To have only 10% of his talent I would be happy. Anyway I dont think there is no "one point" in time. Anyway I still believe right now, the present time frame I am in, is different to everyone else in the whole world. Maybe someone else may be one second or one minute off my present time, but then it would always be changing since every individual shares his own perception of time.
If only Einstein or Tesla was still alive to work it out for us.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The same thing crosses my mind all the time...like when one person is asleep time flies by, but if your trying to wake the person it takes forever....

I dunno...but I was thinking the same exact thing.....

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Did you know that when you are in a plane that the time is faster? Its because the force of gravity being a bit weaker because the plane is farther away from the Earths gravity. The fasterness(did I just make up a word:ham
is very minute though and would not be noticed.

top topics

join