It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Welcome Home Marine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Even in brawls, some domestic disturbances, basic assault, and drug arrests, you ALWAYS restrain every civilian involved.

You see, herein lies the problem, good sir. Police have become increasingly militarized over the past few decades, even to the point where they call the public "civilians". What the hell do they think they are? They're "civilians" too, and they serve us, not the other way around- at least that's the way it used to be.

And the problem with tasers is that with this militarized mindset, police tend to become more trigger-happy knowing that the "civilian" probably won't die.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Untermenschen Rebell
You see, herein lies the problem, good sir. Police have become increasingly militarized over the past few decades, even to the point where they call the public "civilians". What the hell do they think they are? They're "civilians" too, and they serve us, not the other way around- at least that's the way it used to be.

And the problem with tasers is that with this militarized mindset, police tend to become more trigger-happy knowing that the "civilian" probably won't die.

Police, as long as they've got the uniform on them, are NOT civilians. They are peace officers. As in those who keep the peace. They have powers of arrest and search that civilians do not have. They have use of force options that civilians do not have. As to police serving you- you get what you give. It's a very clear arrangement, just like with everyone else in the world: give a person a hard time, and you can expect one in return.

As to the militarization of the police...well, it's interesting you should bring that up. A lot of officers are in fact ex-army, maybe even in the reserves as well as on the force. Personally, I don't see it as a bad thing. Police need bigger tools for high-risk warrants, high risk areas, high risk situations. If a few citizens are uncomfortable looking at body armor and guns...well, they can cry me a river because I don't care. The consensus is that whining < officer safety.

As for your tazer comment, tazers are a fairly comfortable UOF option between pepper spray (which doesn't always work) and the much more lethal ASP. Cry all you want- tazers mean more officers and criminals come home alive and uninjured.

DE

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
This is why you don't resist arrest.

Nothing quite as satisfying as watching a cop take a menace off the road without getting into a punch up, or getting into a potentially fatal chase.

[WARNING: Link contains some language, but felon-frying goodness]

DE

[edit on 4-4-2005 by DeusEx]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Great video. That sums up why you should just listen. ANother by-product of the "me" generation. Christ people. Just shut up and listen for a minute. I hate people that feel they are above the law. 5 minutes and all would be well. People are stupid.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Maybe he and some of his marine buddies can return the favor in secret. I would pay to see 10 combat experienced marines take on 10 cops in a ring, no holds barred. What fun it would be to watch a cop get what he deserves.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
Maybe he and some of his marine buddies can return the favor in secret. I would pay to see 10 combat experienced marines take on 10 cops in a ring, no holds barred. What fun it would be to watch a cop get what he deserves.

What are you, fifteen? Give up the attitude. Go out into the wide world and try to look beyond your own greedy drives. What cops deserve is more funding, respect, and a thank you every now and again.

As for your twisted desire, well that just screams maturity. "I want to see civil servants get pummeled!"

Grow up.

DE

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You sound like a cop lover. Anyone who loves authority is an idiot. My father raised me to always question authority, he is a retired USAF Colonel, 03/1970, Vet of WWII, Korea and Vietnam and as he and I both say it, all cops have the same low IQ as criminals, just opposite sides of the law. In my 40 years on this planet I have had the chance to meet 3 honest cops, that's it and it's pretty disgusting.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I know for a fact that Marines have more training in hand to hand than cops. It would be a massacre. The cops would just keep reaching for their sidearms, while the Marines advanced, salivating.

And DeusEx is from Canada, unless I'm mistaken. Their cops are very different than American cops. I've had a few interactions with Canadian cops, and they despise American cops for the most part. They see them as violent pigs, by and large. Untrained, unproffesional brutes.

Of course, stereotypes abound.
I've met enough good cops to reserve judgement until personal interactions point me to the truth. I would reccomend everyone else do the same. You simply don't know a person until you've met them. There are too many good cops in America to hate them all because of the actions of some or even most.

Don't disrespect the good ones accidentally, because that will only contribute to turning them bad. And believe me, in the coming years, we're going to need all the good cops we can get.

So in the end, show respect where respect is due. And for the love of god, never turn your back on an armed man unless you're sure he has your best interests in mind.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Not so much a cop lover, as someone who interacts with cops on a daily basis. Questioning authority is all fine and good, as long as it doesn't interfere with officer safety. You don't like cops? Why not push for better training, then instead of just screaming like a fifteen year old?

And yes, I'm from Canada.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
DE
Better training is essential. I completely agree. I also used to interact with police officers on a daily basis, hell, I played cards and went drinking with some of them just about every night when I lived in Manhattan. I have a lot of respect for those cops who can put aside their personal issues, their home life, their prejudices and their fears, and just do a fine job no matter what. Those guys are amazing, no doubt.

It's the other ones who need to be excised like an infected follicle. They make everybody look bad, and they do more to increase crime than prevent it. It's bad all around to have power tripping mega-dicks running around in uniform, shouting orders, drawing their pistola every chance they get. It's just unprofessional and dangerous - they are a detriment to the force, and to society.

I think IA needs to do more, and they need to get more respect if they succeed. They get a lot of scorn, mainly because they often suffer from the same conflicts of interest and bias that afflicts duty cops and detectives. Captains need to be better chosen, not politically but by ethics and track record. There's a lot that can be done to fix the problems we continue to see.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv

What are you, fifteen? Give up the attitude. Go out into the wide world and try to look beyond your own greedy drives. What cops deserve is more funding, respect, and a thank you every now and again.

As for your twisted desire, well that just screams maturity. "I want to see civil servants get pummeled!"

Grow up.

DE

Some people don't realize that the men and women of law enforcement put their lives on the line every time they put on the uniform. I know it sounds tiring to the point of cliche', but the truth doesn't get any more cut and dried than that. The marine in question should have followed orders given by the officer regardless of the officer's mix-up. A threat is a threat until proven otherwise... Good points, DE, SOME People, huh?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Grady is EXACTLY right. This guy (Marine) should have followed the Deputies instructions.

Taser shot- BFD. Yeah they can hurt, but what would the outcry have been if the Deputy had used a 9mm or sicked a K-9 on him?

Returning military usually realize they are 'back in the world.' Some, apparently still need a little indoctrination. This guy (Marine) didn't realize he is not in charge in 'the world.'

Look at the Iraqis that tried to explain something- they didn't get just a Taser.

Another thing Wyrde, you wrote this piece like OP/ED. Your twist on the story is the same kind of stuff that drives lots of people into an uproar over biased news. Your lead and story are very biased. Be objective- don't sell out to Fox.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Wonder how long he was overseas, and if he's shocked at just how much things have changed the states.....

ya, all, obey the police, do whatever they say, even if you don't understand their orders, or why they were given.....and for crying out loud, don't offer any helpful information, like, hey you got the wrong address!!! at least not before the slap the cuffs on, or else you'll get zapped! but, well there a war going on, and enemies amoung us, so such blind obedience is necessary...
I've misunderstood the police before...
I've ignored them before....
heck, I've even yelled and screamed at them before...
they have never laid a hand on me!!
I probably would have spent some time pointing out to him that he was making a mistake before I allowed him to put cuffs on me also...sorry. it would have seemed like it would have saved time in the long run, and well, there is a domestic dispute going on, isn't there? that time saved would might have saved a life!!

I'm glad I live out in the middle of nowhere, and don't have to deal with things like this, because there is a few "orders" that they could give me that I would not follow.....

[edit on 6-4-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Things have changed quite a bit yes, perhaps you did not noticed 9/11 happened. But even before 9/11 people have been charged for resisting arrest, and you would be thrown in jail for it.

If you want to be a tough gal/guy, you can go ahead and resist, but you will pay for the consequences of your actions.

Police officers recieve insults from people all the time and it won't get you arrested, after all it is still a free country....even though it shows how rude and immature some people are for insulting police officers.

The police officer made a mistake, yes, but so did the Marine.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Untermenschen Rebell

Police officers while wearing the uniform are not civilians..... they are officers of the law....

I don't know where you got that police officers are civilians.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I probably would have spent some time pointing out to him that he was making a mistake before I allowed him to put cuffs on me also...sorry. it would have seemed like it would have saved time in the long run, and well, there is a domestic dispute going on, isn't there? that time saved would might have saved a life!!

You obviously don't understand that it is not to save time. it is for safety. What do you think real criminals do when they are about to be apprehended?.... You think they all say, yeah, i did it. Or yeah, it is me?....

Most of them say they did not do anything wrong. This is why the police puts the cuffs first, to make sure everyone is safe....

If there is an APB on a person for armed robery, for some reason a regular civilian looks exactly like that armed robber, and he is seen by a police officer; the police officer is not going to just ask you in a friendly manner if you are the person that just robbed the bank at gunpoint..... he/she will order you to get down on the floor, and then he/she will cuff you.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The Officer involed in this incident has resigned.

www.local6.com...

It sounds as if he was disgusted with the fact that he felt he was following proper procedure and was being challenged on that, even by his superiors.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
It sounds as if he was disgusted with the fact that he felt he was following proper procedure and was being challenged on that, even by his superiors.

I agree, and I don't blame him. The Marine resisted orders from a peace officer follwing procedure, and because the media got involved, he became a scapegoat. Sad to see this sort of crap happen because of the stereotypes of cops in the media.

DE

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I THINK WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS THE COP PLAYING WITH HIS NEW TOY....A CASE OF OVER EAGRNESS AND NERVES...ITS FOR THE BEST HE RESINGED BEFORE BLOWING A WHOLE IN A PASSING GRANDMA FOR JAY WAKING....WASNT IT CLEAR FROM THE STATE OF HIS WIFE THAT THE MARINE WASNT A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SUSPECT

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, andy, it seems like you've missed the entire discussion and didn't read the article, so let me breka it down for you:

-cop makes small mistake, and has to make sure he's safe. He does not know he's made the mistake.

-Marine refuses to take orders from cop, passively resisting detention and search for officer safety.

-officer continues to insist, going so far as to point a taser at the marine.

-Marine STILL refuses orders, gets tazed, runs crying to the media.

It's a simpel matter of someone being an idiot, and not doing what a cop told them to for no good reason. Afterwards, this person went screaming and whining to the TV stations to ruin this man's career instead of lodging a proper complaint. Smooth- way to follow the process, marine! Did you do that in Iraq, too?

DE

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join