It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Welcome Home Marine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
In a case that can only be described as shocking, a Marine reservist home less than a week was brought to his knees by a Taser in the hands of a Leon County Deputy in Florida. The officer was responding to a domestic disturbance occuring next door, and got the wrong adress. He fired his Taser at Demar Jackson because the reservist's attempt to explain the misunderstanding was construed as resisting arrest. Despite the fact that no physical threat was made, and the 'suspect' did not flee, the officer felt justified in using his Taser because Jackson, a five year veteran of the Marine reserves, tried to reason with the deputy instead of obeying an order to turn around. Jackson has filed a complaint and awaits trial, which is set for April 19th.

www.tallahassee.com
As he stood in the line of a Leon County deputy's Taser, Demar Jackson made a final attempt to explain: The deputy had the wrong guy. The domestic disturbance the deputy was responding to involved Apartment B. Jackson lived in A.

For the third time, the deputy ordered Jackson to turn around.

Jackson's wife and their 3-year-old son ran outside to see what was happening. At that moment, the deputy shot his Taser. It pierced Jackson's bare chest and abdomen and sent 50,000 watts of electricity into him. The 30-year-old Marine reservist fell to his knees.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It just gets better and better doesn't it folks? This gentleman, back less than a week, still on active duty, was assaulted by a deputy who couldn't find the right apartment. Jackson is understandably upset, and is hoping he will get some answers at his upcoming trial. The Sheriffs department is stonewalling, of course.

Law enforcement officers are usually authorized to use Tasers only in situations where they are being threatened, a suspect is fleeing the scene, or a suspect 'physically resists' commands issued by the officer. Jackson in no way tried to intimidate or approach the officer. His hands were above his head nearly the whole time, except when he reached into his back pocket briefly to flip his military ID card out onto the ground at the deputy's feet.

The deputy reportedly shocked Jackson just as he was about to turn around. What a welcoming party huh? Does this signal a tightening of the noose of the state around our necks, or was it just one rogue officer. It appears, on cursory inspection, that the rules of engagement differ for officers in Florida. As far as I can tell they have the right to use force even if verbally resisted by citizens. I don't know about anyone else, but I make a habit out of initiating conversation with lawmen who approach - and it's kept my feet on the grass my whole life. Take away conversation..what are we but beasts playing as men?

[edit on 3-4-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Whilst that is disgraceful, there is an error in the report.

If 50,000 watts passed through a human, you would explode. Watts is a measure of energy (for example, you vacuum will use 1.5kW to operate). Volts are a measure of the potential difference between two mpoints of a circuit. Amps is a measure of the flow of current between two points.

I think it meant 50,000 volts. Which in itself is harmless, as the current kills you.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I caught that before posting (knowing that most, if not all, stun guns are measured in voltage), but I didn't want to contradict the article without being sure. Since no mention is made of what specific type of Taser was used, I don't really have any way of checking up on it. I will amend the article however, and leave them in error.

Thanks for posting that, and first post no less.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No worries, I knew it was the article, but ther point needed to made clear. Otherwise, a good find! Crazy coppers indeed!

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
i guess being a marine can be constued as a constant threat of violance

this type of thinking seems to affect cops everywhere (not all of them just most). this is just another case of "of course you are guilty i'm a cop, i don't make mistakes".gee it sounds like all the guy was doing is try to find out why he was being arrested. as for a taeser being painless bull hockey. as a kid i used to enjoy sticking my fingers in electical and light sockets. it was an interesting feeling i got , painfull but not painfull. a taeser puts out more power, enough to stun you.

personaly i hope the marine wins a million+ in damages. for false arrest and assult without cause, as well as police brutality. the message needs to get arround that cops are not the be all and end all. that suspects are only suspects not automaticaly guilty. now what would have happened if this marin's wife had after seeing her husband attacked by an intruder and writhing on the ground had shot the cop? after all if she had even heard the acusation she would know it to be made up. oh yeah apparently the cop didn't even tell him why he was being arrested so it was an attack without provication. what would have happen is she would have recieved a charge for attacking a police officer. not the normal variety either my understanding is assulting a cop is a higher charge. the cop in question should be faceing charges such as impropper use of force and fired fot gross incompetance.

also remember that while this cop was busy assulting an inocent man without telling him even why, that the possible real criminal had lots of time to either do more damage possibly killing his victome or getting away. yup the police realy dropped the ball on this one.

just as a side note for all the ban guns people. taisers here are illigal except for the police, yet they are fast becomming the favered weapon of criminals. so how is banning taisers helping to reduce their use by criminals? the same is true for guns keep this in mind the next time you push for tighter gun controll.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
drogo
Tasers are banned where you live? Are you in the UK?
Or do you just live in a major metropolitan area? I think there are some cities in the US that have banned them for concealed carry, which pretty much limits their effectiveness to zero, but I wasn't aware there were any states that disallowed ownership entirely. That's really unfortunate. I think they're excellent protection for those who aren't capable of defending themselves against muggers and rapists, etc.

Tasers are of somewhat limited usefullness, since some people, especially PCP users, can be immune to their effects. You can also train yourself to a certain extent to weather the jolt and go right on fighting.

I don't think outlawing weapons is the right answer. The solution is to outlaw criminals, and punish them accordingly when they break the law.

I feel for the reservist's family, having to watch this happen. And I feel for him, some welcome home huh? Really, in this situation, based on the information I have available, I find the deputy at fault. It appears he simply overreacted. Might have been some racism involved, might have been a rookie, who knows. The Sheriffs office isn't releasing a lot of information regarding the incident, but Jackson is expected to file suit against the office of the Sheriff, and in the civil trial following we should learn more.

I can't help but thinking that this reservist must be saying to himself "This is the thanks I get for serving my country?" It really is a thankless job for the most part. At least they're not getting spat upon by protesters while coming off the plane.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just a question here.

The marines name is Demar Jackson, is he by any chance of the darker skin complexion?

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You took the words right off my keyboard!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In answer to the above questions, I believe so, yes. That's why I postulated there might be some racism involved. I still have vivid memories of FL deputies standing outside polling booths with shotguns and riot gear, keeping blacks away from the polls in 2000.

I hope this case isn't brushed under the rug. There's probably no good excuse to Taser an unarmed man, in front of his family, for doing nothing more than correcting your asinine mistake.

I'm sure the blue (or is it beige with Sheriff's deputies?) wall of silence will go up and hamstring this case before it splatters all over the media like a fat Georgia June bug introduced to a semi.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Well at least they used it properly.. you know we wouldnt actually want them to stun a real criminal now would we???

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
WHy wouldnt he just shut up and do what he was told. If he did, they would have cleared it up. Just turn around. Geez. Whys that so hard to understand?

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Oh please! If cops would just listen things like this wouldnt happen. To me ALL cops are aholes and are the type who shoot first ask questions later.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Basic procedure. Before you get a story, make sure guy isn't a threat. Search him, make sure he's in restraints- even if it's for the fifteen minutes it takes for the officer to question. When a police officer tells you to do something DO IT. The guy in question is a marine, which means he's probably quite large and physically fit. I don't know about you, but if a marine couldn't obey a simple request from a police officer pointing a tazer at him, I'd wonder what the hell kind of marine he was.

DE

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
DE
In my book, he's a sensible Marine. Jackson knew for a fact he was not the man they were looking for, he had his wife and kids to think about, he doesn't want to get dragged off to jail for doing nothing, and he's not about to turn his back on an armed man - regardless of his uniform.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think the answer is as simple as you and spliff make it out to be.

People often suffer from persecution complexes when dealing with the police. They're afraid of being taken advantage of, and based on the track record of some police departments, I think being a little gunshy is emminently understandable.

And besides, the guy never presented himself as a threat, and told the officer it was the wrong apartment, he had his hands above his head nearly the whole time, and when his wife and kid came out, that's when the officer tased the guy. It's not as simple as "always obey." It never is.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Easy solution to this one folks......

Teach the cops to read addresses properly.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Whilst that is disgraceful, there is an error in the report.

If 50,000 watts passed through a human, you would explode. Watts is a measure of energy (for example, you vacuum will use 1.5kW to operate). Volts are a measure of the potential difference between two mpoints of a circuit. Amps is a measure of the flow of current between two points.

I think it meant 50,000 volts. Which in itself is harmless, as the current kills you.

it is the amps that kills you...

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This individual should have done exactly as the officer ordered him. His being a Marine is inconsequential, except that as a Marine he should have had the discipline to obey orders first and complain later.

When law enforcement officers arrive on the scene of a violent incident, they don't know who's whom. Cooperating with the police would have resulted in the matter being resolved much more quickly and no one would have been tasered.

I know this because the same thing happened to me when there was a shooting next door and I went out to greet the police. I had to get on the ground face down until they had control of the situation.

I have to admit that I was a little put off by the cops' demeanor, but I had enough common sense to realize that they had to take every precaution to sort out the situation.

So, this individual got what he deserved and he should get double the punishment for embarrassing the Corps.

I also find it interesting that those who get all hot and bothered about incidents like this ordinarily don't give a rat's patootie about servicemen, until it involves law enforcement and the incident can be played for politics.

[edit on 05/4/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
And besides, the guy never presented himself as a threat, and told the officer it was the wrong apartment, he had his hands above his head nearly the whole time, and when his wife and kid came out, that's when the officer tased the guy. It's not as simple as "always obey." It never is.

It's very simple. Don't resist. Officer has all kinds of fun toys to make you miserable if you resist. You have...nothing, really. Just do what he says. I don't care about threat presentation- because officers don't need a presented threat to act- just the suspicion or perception of one. Marine here has fists the size of baby hams....oh, jeez, is that a threat? Waiting until there's a clear threat gets officers killed.

He should have just simply turned around. it's not that much to ask.

DE

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well, looks like this "non-lethal" taser guns are more lethal then claimed 2 be!

There were 103 Taser stun gun-related deaths in the United States and Canada between June 2001 and March 2005, according to an Amnesty International report released Friday.

Stun guns produced by Scottsdale-based Taser are used by more than 6,000 law enforcement agencies worldwide.

sources:
scotsman

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Well, looks like this "non-lethal" taser guns are more lethal then claimed 2 be!

Actually, the expression is 'less-than-lethal'. Trust me, getting tazed is positively quaint compared to being subdued with an ASP. Pepper spray doesn't work on 10-15% of people.

Rubber bullets to the cranium can still kill, as can a baton. But I'm sure it's much preferable to a .45, right?

DE

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join