It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X Rated Robot???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   

OK, actually it is pretty damn scary looking...

Meet Morgui, the new robot constructed at the University of Reading, which has been deemed so scary it has been banned from interacting with anyone aged under 18.

The x-rated robot is a disembodied head with five senses and big bright eyes and is able to follow people around the room.

But the university's ethics and research committee took one look at Morgui and decided it might be just a bit too scary.

This is ironic. Morgui, which is Mandarin for Magic Ghost, cannot experience emotions - it is an experiment in how people react to robots.

The metal head, a bit like a cadaverous automaton from Star Wars or a Terminator, is the creation of Kevin Warwick, a University of Reading cybernetics professor with a long record in attention-seeking robots.

education.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Can't...stop...staring.
Scary robot. Scary. Yet oddly hypnotizing.

Why the hell would anyone create an X-rated robot that looks like a Terminator reject???

-B.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Ah, Mandarin is not that different than Cantonese then. The school is erring on the side of caution. It is just a machine. Typical of schools, overly sensative.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I concur with Banshee's sentiments....DR, thats like scary.
The implications of "robotic life", per se,' is really making me wonder if the movies of the "Terminator" thought lines, is/are not going to be some sort of 'reality'. We are exploring and manipulating fields like robotics, genome, nanotechology, etc., and I sometimes wonder if these scientific areas and endeavors have been throughly thought out. I see that "good" these things can bring, but I shudder at the implications of the "bad" that these very same things can bring.......

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Must...
Buy...
Mo...

That thing is awesome!!!! It looks like the T-800 Terminator. Hmm... Lets try putting some latex skin over that!

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
That thing is terrifying!!! I wont sleep for a week.I would pass out if I ever saw that thing in a dark ally. I get what you saying seeker. Sort of like the Theory presented in The Faculty. How can we be sure that all the Terminator movies and The Matrix and other Sci-Fi hits arent some sort of mission to prepare us for whats coming. Oh and by the way necro, you do know that the T-800's skin is actually living tissue right?

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Dragon you said X-rated right? who would want to make love to a robot??

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It was X Rated because access to the robot was restricted to people 18+

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
So nothing to do with having an intinmate time with it then?

The robot looks like the Terminator.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I love robots, I had a robotics class while in Sr. high, but this thing following me around would not last the split seconfds it took for me to unload 10 .45 rounds into it's AI brain.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Please tell me that thing wasn't made by Cyberdine.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neoslayer
Oh and by the way necro, you do know that the T-800's skin is actually living tissue right?

Yeah, but now latex is the best we can do.

Please tell me that thing wasn't made by Cyberdine.

Even worst.
[size=20]MICROSOFT.

ID

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I fell that this X rated robot is a great accomplishment however I get a strange feeling of panic when I look into those blue glowing eyes. It is my opinion that after seeing all of the terminator movies (the first two several hundred times and the new one twice) that this "Morgui" or M100 as I call it will soon branch off into the "T" line of robots. The plastic endoskeleton of the M100 will be replaced with highly advanced alloys. The synthetic human coverings will come later. It is said in the Terminator movies that this will start with things like latex and rubber but later become more advanced and living tissue will be used. Could it be possible that we may in fact create real versions of these metallic Hollywood assassins? If so the real question would be would we still have created them if the movies were never made? I theorize that someone will be sent back in time to kill James Cameron and stop these films from ever being made. In T3 when Schwarzenegger said "We will meat again" maybe he was saying more then we all thought...

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
When he said we will meet again he ment in the future when he kills him.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have to say it is a definate improvement over those gay-arse robot dogs. Who makes those? Sony?

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
OMG....No...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Creepy skull robot thing! Lets hope he is a good robot and will not try to kill us all or enslave us!

Originally posted by neoslayer
....How can we be sure that all the Terminator movies and The Matrix and other Sci-Fi hits arent some sort of mission to prepare us for whats coming.....

I know what your saying....they're coming up with all these robots to take over every day tasks, who's not to say one will rebel and kill it's owners, or try to take over the world....

Originally posted by necro99
Even worst.
MICROSOFT.

No, no even worse then Microsoft:

VERSATRAN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
!!!!

[Edited on 22-7-2003 by Curiosity]

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Huh?
What is that?
Microsoft is the great devil, none is more eval than microsoft.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by necro99
Huh?
What is that?
Microsoft is the great devil, none is more eval than microsoft.

Versatran is from The Animatrix, The second Renaissance part I to be exact...it's not a real company....I was just joking...since is a robot! and the the Animatrix Versatran owned by the AI....

who

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have followed Kevin Warwick's work for quite some time now, he actually puts sensors he creates in his body to see how they react and to record data. He was quoted once for saying he hopes to become a cyborg one day. I will look for the link to his homepage.

who

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Sorry, i should have guessed.

www.kevinwarwick.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join