It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions to ask an atheist...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Hello , I think these are interesting.

1) Humanity has been around for thousands of years.Billions of humans have come and gone. What is that brought YOU into existence at some specific point in time? Why are you here now and not in,say , 2205?Moreover , why are you inside the body you’re in now?Why aren’t you in another body? If you didn’t chose your body , then who put you in it?

2) How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects
of the universe , even though it is (supposedly) a bunch of chemical
reactions and electrical signals? But at the same time , this brain can’t create
another brain like itself , so how can nature , that has no brain create a brain?

3)How come there are some things on our planet seem that they are especially
designed for
us?For example. The 2 most comfortable colors are blue and green , which happen
to be the color of the sky and most of the nature around us. Who chose those colors
to be there , before earth even existed?

4)Is it a coincidence that planets revolve around the sun , the sun rovlves around the
center of the galaxy ,and at the same time electrons revolve around the nucleus
,…Is it a coincidence that the smallest parts and the biggest parts are both
revolving? (questions 5, 6 , and 7 use the same logic)

5) The sun is 300 times further than the moon , but the moon is 300 times smaller than the sun (these numbers are approximations). That’s why they look the same to us. But what is the chance of randomly chosing a star and a moon ,throwing them into a space around earth , and having these ratios?

6) How come there are so many kinds of fruits , and all of them come in sizes that are enough to feed a person or a family? If fruits were just a coincidential outcome of nature , why weren’t at least some of them the size of mountains , or why weren’t they as hard as metals?Doesn’t it seem that some Being made them the way they are for our own comfort?

7) Who made the earth rotate at such a speed that day and night take (approximately) 12 hours each , which is so close to the amount of time of sleep we need per day?Wasn’t it possible that each day would be years long (just like other planets?)..so who “designed” the speed to be that suitable for us humans?

8) When you look at a lot of creatures such as zebras , turtles , butterflies , bees , lady bugs , leopards ,etc…. you will notice amazing color patters drawn onto them.Who drew those? Does nature have a “taste” in colors , and does it know which colors go together nicely? Does it know how to draw geometric and beautiful shapes ?

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I feel I did choose my body.
The human brain is a wonder, to be sure, but as Edison once said, "I'll be impressed when man can make a blade of grass." Nature can make a brain becuz it is far more than a brain, which is a small part, of one organism, out of millions, so our brain is a very tiny part of nature. I doubt we are able to comprehend how our brain came to be, just as a hammer cannot know how it came to be a hammer.
The colours are soothing because they represent the sky, and nature, not the other way around.
The planets revolving around the sun can be very nicely explained using current laws of physics, so that is just the way it is, the way it had to be. The same goes for atomic theory. If something revolves around something else, I don't immediately conclude, " Well, there must be a God then."
The distances and size differences you quote are way off. Granted the moon is presently at a distance so as to produce an eclipse. Since the moon is receding from earth, it has not always been this way, and will not be this way in the future, it is our good fortune that we are alive to see this temporary phenomenon.
fruits as big as mountains, encased in metal? If all this was for our comfort, explain poisonous plants, in particular poisonous mushrooms that look almost exactly like harmless ones. Pretty mean trick if God made those.
Our sleep cycle matches the earth becuz we are from here. Simple as that, well, not necessarily, we actually match Mars's day/night better.
As for zebras et al, I agree that the patterns are amazing, and if you want to know why they are like that, maybe a look at chaos theory, and fractal geometry would be useful. Study the golden mean, 1.6180339.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I am an Atheist. Religion is bunk. I can explain if you wish.

However, I will try and answer some of your questions.

2) How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects
reactions and electrical signals? But at the same time , this brain can’t create
another brain like itself , so how can nature , that has no brain create a brain?

I think of it rather like a biological computer, able to process, store and retrieve huge amounts of information. The mind, I think of as a program. This program develops over a period of time through expierience.

I notice this now, as i have a young (18 months) old daughter. I treat teaching her rather like programming, and it is that easy. If I repeat or show anything to her, and provide a context for it, she will understand it, and store that information for later use.

Repeat this process, and they will learn. Same goes throughout life. What happens afterwards, I do not know, but my gut instinct is that the "program" is an electromagnetic field, and possibly can exist seperate from the body, we shall see, if not, then no biggy, as I am dead.

Number 3,4 and 5 have already been explained.

6) How come there are so many kinds of fruits , and all of them come in sizes that are enough to feed a person or a family? If fruits were just a coincidential outcome of nature , why weren’t at least some of them the size of mountains , or why weren’t they as hard as metals?Doesn’t it seem that some Being made them the way they are for our own comfort?

The reason fruits are tasty and edible, is because evolution made them that way, Why? So the plants seeds could be spread. if the fruit tasted like poo, or was coated in metal, then the fruit would not be eaten, and the species would be able to thrive and most probably die out.

In fact, there may well have been a fruit that tasted like poo, but because of that, is now extinct. That is evolution. Their is no design to evolution, it is merely random luck. If, for example, there was an animal that liked poo tasting fruit, then it had found a niche and could survive. Genetic mutations and luck...no God.

7) Who made the earth rotate at such a speed that day and night take (approximately) 12 hours each , which is so close to the amount of time of sleep we need per day?Wasn’t it possible that each day would be years long (just like other planets?)..so who “designed” the speed to be that suitable for us humans?

I thought it was 8 hours for a good nights kip? I always need more, no matter how much I get! Regardless, if the planets rotation was 20 hours, or 30 hours, our sleep patterns would no doubt have developed to take that into account.

8) When you look at a lot of creatures such as zebras , turtles , butterflies , bees , lady bugs , leopards ,etc…. you will notice amazing color patters drawn onto them.Who drew those? Does nature have a “taste” in colors , and does it know which colors go together nicely? Does it know how to draw geometric and beautiful shapes ?

Evolution again. Imagine say, 100,000 years ago, there is a herd of horse like creatures in Africa. One day, a mutation occurs in a newly conceived baby horse-thing, and it comes out stripy. Another comes out bright pink. The strip one finds that its coat enables it to hide and evade predators easier. The pink one is eaten after 1 week. The stripy genes survive, the blue ones do not. Evolution.

[edit on 3/4/05 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm just going to comment on some of your replies:

1) I don't understand how you feel this way.Cause Im sure none of us chose our bodies.

2)Nature is just a bunch of of atoms stuck together, it does not have a conciousness.There was a time when there were no brains ,and then suddenly nature (which like I said has no will) deicided to make a brain?

3)Actually colors emit energies , and these two color go well with our bodies. If the sky was brown and nature was grey...they wouldnt be soothing to us.

4)I was talking about the fact that both the biggest and smallest both revolve...as if God created them this way (which I believe he did).Physics laws explain this ofcourse , but how can you have a law without a lawmaker?

5)The sizes and distances a bit off , but not way off. But as for this question I need time to put it in better words.

6)Most of it is for our comfort , but God put bad things for a wisdom..which is a completely different issue here. But I was talking about general forms?Why isnt there fruits as big as mountains?If these sizes were random , we should have had more variety of sizes.Evolution?Fruits have been this size back when dinosaurs exited , which could definitly eat bigger fruits.

7) Actually earth is more suitable , because we sont have to sleep for the entire night.Humans need to be awake during some part of the night at least , cause it has an effect on their behaviour (also another topic)

8) The golden ratio is an intersting number , it actually strengthend my belief in God cause here you have one number that's all over the universe.Who planned it to be this way?Luck?Remeber there was once a time where there was no universe..and thus this number didnt exist.

Excuse me if I'm making some mistakes in English , cause Arabic is my first language.

The point of this is not to show who argues better or who can come with the smartest remarks.But I'm just confused by atheists because the presence of God is so clear.Maybe He's not the God you have in mind , but He is the Creator.

[edit on 3-4-2005 by Mohammad]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I believe science and religion are meeting each other half way.
Being so, there are too types of Athiest.
1. Evolutionist Athiest
2. Creationist Athiest

I fall into the category 2, so I agree with your questions.
I ask my roommate the same sort of questions and its like talking to an earwig. A total waste of my time and breath.

Its getting harder and harder for god type religions to deny the science in our biblical history and harder and harder for the evolutionists to deny the science beginning to show us the aburdities in the darwin theories.
Sooner or later it will come full circle.
Though I hope sooner rather than later.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
First of I want to say is 'what the?!' don't you know the answers to these simple phenomena that can be explained easily by science? Look NO GOD! I'll ex[lain;

a)The thing that brough me into exsistence was the misadventures of one fateful night where an human egg was fertilised by a sperm cell. (Mitosis I think!)

b)Because that fatefull night occured 24years ago and not 200 years in the future!

c) &d) I'm in this body because my parents had a similar form to mine and if my parents were eagles or bears I would be in the same form - a little thing called DNA can do wonders!!

a) Its not the brain which can ' understand extremely complicated aspects
of the universe' it is the mind; two completely different things ! More over only some minds can comprehend not all eg: a child, also the mind has to trained to understand , training that last in the better part of our lives i.e formative years.
b)A brain can create a new brain by making the body procreate with another body, you know have sex
. I think what you mean is intelligence and no man cannot create artificial intelligence YET! Mostly because of Godel's Curse- pure evil that is!
Efforts are on the way to create AI and with better processors and smarter logic someday it will be possible! Nature has nothing to do with it , its all human intelligence!

3 I personally hate Blue because it reminds me of toilets and green because it reminds me of fungus. The sky and sea are blue because of Raman effect -brilliant guy he was! and the trees need not neccesarily be green as chlorophyl can exsist in red brown yellow and many other colors. The desert is not green so how can you say you are surrounded with them. Also green is the only color that a leaf does not absorb that is why you see it.
These colors are not universal they are mainly present in our planet only , jupiter, mars etc have no green or blue in them.

to be continued.....

www.infidels.org...

[edit on 3-4-2005 by IAF101]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Actually I'm a Muslim , and Muslims dont believe in contradictions between science and religion. The Quraan contains facts that have been proved through science.After all science keeps on changing, even what we know now is not considered much.

I prefer that if somene disagrees , do so without any insults.You don't believe in something , that's your choice.But don't disrespect it as it might be sacred to someone else.I'm not saying this to anyone in particular.

Thank you

[edit on 3-4-2005 by Mohammad]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I have many questions science as yet can't answer. I believe in magic, angels, miracles, and prayer. So far, though, none of my experiences have convinced me there is a God.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mohammad

1) Humanity has been around for thousands of years.Billions of humans have come and gone. What is that brought YOU into existence at some specific point in time? Why are you here now and not in,say , 2205?Moreover , why are you inside the body you’re in now?Why aren’t you in another body? If you didn’t chose your body , then who put you in it?

Chance put me in all of it. Chance put me here and now. Chance is the answer to these questions. Chance isn't a conscious entity.

I don't study neurology or even psychology to really answer this question properly. Given enough time, random mutations can result in pretty amazing stuff. Evolution simulated on computers has resulted in some pretty amazing things, and those simulations have had much smaller timeframes within which to work. Evolution on this planet has had approximately 4.5 billion years. While life is still statistically a small chance, we live in a rather enormous universe, and big numbers will always surprise you in statistics. How about the number of planets for a big number?
7.0 * 10^22 planets = 70000000000000000000000 planets

designed for
to be the color of the sky and most of the nature around us. Who chose those colors

Evolutionary pressure chose those color, probably. For what reason, I can't tell you. It's not my area of specialty.

4)Is it a coincidence that planets revolve around the sun , the sun rovlves around the

Electrons don't revolve around the nucleus. That's an outdated model of the atom. If the electron revolved around the nucleus, the atom would collapse in on itself very quickly. Electrons have orbitals. An orbital, in spite of its name, resembles more of a shell than an orbit.

5) The sun is 300 times further than the moon , but the moon is 300 times smaller than the sun (these numbers are approximations). That’s why they look the same to us. But what is the chance of randomly chosing a star and a moon ,throwing them into a space around earth , and having these ratios?

Since the moon isn't of insignificant mass, it will have a rather significant gravitational pull on the Earth. If we were in any other orbit with the moon we have, we'd have an unstable orbit which would either fling us off into space, or plunge us into the sun.

PS BlackguardXIII above is right that this is temporary.

Wikipedia says:

The tidal bulges on Earth, caused by the Moon's gravity, lag behind the apparent position of the Moon, due to the impedance of the ocean system - effectively the inertia of the water and the friction as it slides over the ocean bottom and into or out of bays and estuaries. As a result, some of the Earth's rotational momentum is gradually being transferred to the Moon's orbital momentum, resulting in the Moon slowly receding from Earth at the rate of approximately 38 mm per year. At the same time the Earth's rotation is gradually slowing, the Earth's day thus lengthens by about 15 µs every year.

Cherries aren't exactly the most conveniant things to pick and eat. They're small, don't come in bulk, and have pits. I love pistachio nuts, but they take a lot of work to eat, and they're really tiny. I shouldn't do this, but I like oranges more than apples. Nonetheless, if I'm lazy, I'll choose to eat the apple instead. I always end up cutting mangoes incorrectly. God should have made those fruits more userfriendly. Metal? All life on earth is carbon based. Metals can sometimes be beneficial in small quantities, but will wreak havoc on any organism in excess.

Time is a man-made quantity. We set it up around night and day. Up here in the north, day is longer during the summer, and shorter during the winter.

As beautiful as some of those things are, they still look quite random to me. Nature has no particular taste in colors, and actually uses all colors for very different purposes due to evolution. Not all of natures creatures are beautiful, nor are all of its patterns. With as many creatures as there have been on this planet (remember the large numbers and statistics), beautiful geometries are bound to happen.

Please note that I'm not purely atheist. I simply don't believe in dieties of any kind. I still believe in a spiritual realm, there's just no overriding entity or entities controlling it.

[edit on 4/3/2005 by supercheetah]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
If those questions are supposed to confound an athiest, I now understand why religous people are so dense.

1.What brought me into existance? My parents shagging without contraception. Thus, i was created and born 9 months later. the reason i was born in 1974? because my parents screwed in 1973. Duh. No brainer.

2. How can something as small as a computer chip store videos and songs? Your question makes little sense. The brain doesnt necesarily understand concepts such as the universe, only what it percieves. We only percieve in 3 dimensions, yet there are many more. And thats the brains function, to percieve and process. No real mystery there.

3. Who says those are the two most comforting colors? Color preference is individual to each person. Plenty of people do not believe green or blue are comforting. Any child in elementary school science knows why the sky is blue or that plants are green. Not to mention that green is not the most common color on earth, with brown deserts, barren mountains, or brown grasslands being far more numerous in area than woodlands. Another no brainer.

4. No, its not coincidence. Its a basic principal law of physics. This is what holds matter together.

5. Since these measurements are purely a human creation based on human standards, the basic reality of it is not so mysterious. Only when man applies his own measurements, which are not universal, but relative to his own systems. There is nothing mysterious or special about our sun and moon.

6. Because you only percieve they are designed for you. But since fruits and plants have been around much longer, it is more likely that our ancestpors bodies adapted to be able to eat fruit and vegetables, and meat. And why are there no fruits the size of a mountain? Anyone with any basic grasp of biology and ecology could answer that. And not all plants are made for humans, there are numerous plants that are deadly or poisonous, or quite foul to taste.

7. You need 12 hours of sleep each day? You got some issues. But since the earth is 4 billion years old, and humans are only a couple million, its more likely that it is humans who adapted their sleep patterns to the already existing time cycle of the planets rotation. Hours and any measurement of time is something completely relative to human perception. The sun and moon do not measure hours and days, we do to track both bodies. And why does the earth rotate? the laws of physicas. If it didnt, it would fall apart, like anything else.

8. I wasnt aware those colors were "drawn". Creatures develop those colors through natural selection, diet, and breeding. Those colors and patterns have changed throughout history. They do so through evolution and natural selection. And when you consider the fact there are many animals who are quite plain and ugly, well...obviously, somecreatures need it, some dont.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

6) How come there are so many kinds of fruits?

I have no idea, but they all seem to have the same seedy notion that the rest of us need to convert to their nutty beliefs.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
My questions need to be reworded.Cause I see most of them are misunderstood.For example the first question ...why are you inside this body? Obviously cause your parents had sex...

You dont get my point though , how many parents also had sex at that time.And how many children were born nine months later?possibly millions.So why are you inside this body? Your body could have existed and looked exactly the same but with someone elses consiousness in it and you would have never known , cause you would be non-existant.

Religious people are dense?Please! I know that the western educational system cancels out from their books all the discoveries Muslim scientists have made and attributes them to others.Its true.Maybe you don't believe me , but this is part of the big brainwash.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Religious people are dense?Please! I know that the western educational system cancels out from their books all the discoveries Muslim scientists have made and attributes them to others.Its true.Maybe you don't believe me , but this is part of the big brainwash.

I never heard that before, and really would like more info. ie: what discoveries, and who really found them. I know similar things happened in Europe, like Columbus discovering America, lots of Europeans beat him to it. Henry Sinclair, in 1395, is one.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'm not an atheist, but I see no evidence of god in your examples. My philosophy can be verbalized best as a cross between secular humanism and neopaganism. But...mind if I take a stab at this?

Humanity has been around for thousands of years.
Longer than that, actually.

What is that brought YOU into existence at some specific point in time?
The happy meeting of spermatazoan and ovum.

Why are you here now and not in,say , 2205?
Because that happy meeting occured in 1964.

Moreover , why are you inside the body you’re in now?
If I abandoned it, this body would die.

Why aren’t you in another body?
I wouldn't want to displace someone else's consciousness from her own body. That would be rude. (Sorry, had to lighten things up.)

If you didn’t chose your body , then who put you in it?
First, either-or logic proves nothing. I don't believe that either theory applies here. Had I a choice, I would have picked Angelina Jolie's body (grin). However, I don't believe that someone else chose either. The form I wear is the result of the crossing of my parents' DNA.

How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects of the universe , even though it is (supposedly) a bunch of chemical reactions and electrical signals?
The mind of a child cannot grasp "complicated aspects of the universe." The mind must be trained, much like a computer is programmed.

But at the same time , this brain can’t create another brain like itself , so how can nature , that has no brain create a brain?
My brain created another brain like itself...my daughter's.

How come there are some things on our planet seem that they are especially designed for us?
Because it is in our nature to crave order over chaos, thus we impose patterns and organization on our environments. You perceive that these things were "designed" for us...that does not make it so.

The 2 most comfortable colors are blue and green , which happen
to be the color of the sky and most of the nature around us. Who chose those colors to be there , before earth even existed?

How do you know that blue and green existed prior to earth? The colors of sky and foliage are explained simply. The sky is "blue" because of particles in the atmosphere. But...it is not always blue. At night, it is black. During a storm, it is grey. Sunrise and sunset paint the sky myriad colors. Foliage is green as a result of the chlorophyll it contains.

Is it a coincidence that planets revolve around the sun , the sun rovlves around the center of the galaxy...
Gravity sucks. But seriously, folks...bodies orbit around other bodies because of their specific density in relation to the distance between them.

The sun is 300 times further than the moon , but the moon is 300 times smaller than the sun (these numbers are approximations). That’s why they look the same to us. But what is the chance of randomly chosing a star and a moon ,throwing them into a space around earth , and having these ratios?
Choosing? No one chose, and there is nothing random about it. See above. I'm afraid that you are falling into a common error. Just because you perceive "order" does not mean that some higher power is behind this phenomenon. Likewise, lack of order. Why do we perceive constellations in the sky? Did "someone" put them there? No. We must, as humans, attempt to impose order on chaos, lest we go mad.

How come there are so many kinds of fruits , and all of them come in sizes that are enough to feed a person or a family?
Are you satisfied with one grape? Could you eat a whole vine's worth of them? I assume no to both.

If fruits were just a coincidential outcome of nature , why weren’t at least some of them the size of mountains
It would be difficult for them to propagate. However, there is a fungus in Wisconsin that is absolutely HUGE. It is the single largest organism in the world.

or why weren’t they as hard as metals?
Again, they would not be able to disperse their seeds.

Doesn’t it seem that some Being made them the way they are for our own comfort?
Uh...no. We are not the only creatures on this planet that eat fruit. I wonder what the bear thinks about it?

Who made the earth rotate at such a speed that day and night take (approximately) 12 hours each , which is so close to the amount of time of sleep we need per day?
The god of magnetism. Meaning no offense, you might consider a book on basic physics.

Wasn’t it possible that each day would be years long (just like other planets?)
No. Earth's position in orbit around the sun determines time. One Earth-year equals one revolution around the sun. Other planets, being closer to or further away from the sun, having shorter or longer units of time.

..so who “designed” the speed to be that suitable for us humans?
We evolved to our environment, not the other way around. Ever work the night shift? It's bloody 'orrible. You're always tired, sick half the time, lose your appetite, etc. It's unnatural. Why? Because we are diurnal animals, not nocturnal. Try keeping an owl up all day.

When you look at a lot of creatures such as zebras , turtles , butterflies , bees , lady bugs , leopards ,etc…. you will notice amazing color patters drawn onto them.
Drawn? "Crayola for Deities?" No offense, but I can't help but see humor in this. Coloring in animals serves a purpose. It can help camouflage an animal from predators. It can warn predators off. It can attract mates. Etc. Evolution in action.

Who drew those? Does nature have a “taste” in colors , and does it know which colors go together nicely? Does it know how to draw geometric and beautiful shapes ?
Why do you feel the need to look for interference from some superior being to explain natural laws? If you admire the colors on a ladybug, what makes you think that some god sat there and said to itself, "Gee, red and black look really good together!" Or the zebra..."I think I'll make this one striped."

I would respectfully recommend that you begin a study of the basic sciences...physics, biology, and the like. You 'll find all your answers there.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
These are thoughtfull questions, but your logic is reversed. If you study evolution you will find that these things did not occur "suddenly" but changed over time. Every animal shows evidence of evolution in fossils. If God did create everything, why did he create fossils, for us to find, and question his existance?

I too once believed what I was told as a child, that God was the creator of all things. But the more I learned, the more I found that religions are an invention of man, in his quest to understand the world, and answer the age old questions of "why am I here?".

But IMHO, religions have been nothing but trouble. Mankind has fought wars to perpetuate their beliefs. It's amazing how people are willing to kill each other over what I would consider minor differences. Religions have also stifled science over the ages, and have kept us from learning, so that we would not question it.

I think if you also study theology, you will find that religions have also evolved. Once there were many gods, then religions became monothestic. Religions change over time, because they are rewritten by men. If God had inspired the authors, why does it change? How do you know that your religion has it right? I think that people of faith should always keep that in mind.

But I also keep an open mind that I may be wrong, and there is a supreme being. If and when this being shows itself, I think it won't be anything like we have imagined in any religion.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

My questions need to be reworded.Cause I see most of them are misunderstood.For example the first question ...why are you inside this body? Obviously cause your parents had sex...

You dont get my point though , how many parents also had sex at that time.And how many children were born nine months later?possibly millions.So why are you inside this body? Your body could have existed and looked exactly the same but with someone elses consiousness in it and you would have never known , cause you would be non-existant.

The big brainwash in my opinion is religon.

And as far as discoveries made by Muslim scientists, many did not originate with the Muslims, but from the Greeks, Babylonians, Egyptians, and Romans. Islam made few great advances, they mostly had the sense, unlike the Christian church at the time, not to totaly burn or destroy the ancient writings.

But the Idea of the atom was discovered by the greeks, where we get the name atom from. The Egyptians and Sumerians were masters of astronomy who mapped out much of the known skies even today. The fact of the earth being round was a concept the Greeks came up with, with one Greek scientist saying the earth must be round because of the shadow it cast on the moon.

The Chinese also made many wonderful discoveries, and had very advanced science.

Muslims adopted and absorpbed knowldge from the various cultures they assimilated. But I am yet to see any profound complex scientific truths that are exclusive to Islam that have not been discovered or studied by many other cultures around the world.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

My parents, thisis the generally accepted method here on Earth.

How can something as small as the microvave make my dinner? You might as well be asking that because this question is totally flawed. The brain is not small when you consider it's size in relation to the brains of other creatures. All matter is just a bunch of electrical signals. Why should the brain be any different? What makes you think that th brain has created nothing? How can god that has no 'brain' per se create one either? am not being insulting here just pointing out that the widely accepted notion of god has progresses from a bearded guy on a cloud with a box of thunderbolts.

designed for

Who says that there are any colours. What we see is merely what we pecieve as our brains interpret the signals they percieve. Have you ever met someone who is colour blind?

I think that it has more to do with gravity and the properties of electric charges than coinciidence. It is fairly simple science really until you look deeply into it.

I think you will find that the sun is considerably further and larger than that. I really dont believe that your information on ratios is correct or even vaguely relevant. Sorry.

Trees produce fruit as a way of spreading their seeds so that more trees of the same kind can grow. There are no animals the size of a mountain to eat mountain size fruit from impractically large trees, which would die from the cold at high altitude, therefore trees produce fruit which is more likely to attract animals rathe than squash them.

WHO??!!? Um Superman, the baby Jesus, Charlie Chaplin??!!? News flash! Our planet was not designed, or put here. Magrathea does not exist and white mice do not run the world. It just happened, yeah dissappointing isn't it.

By your logic there should be humans on every planet then

The patterns on animals serve a purpose and are the product of evolution. They were not designed. They are not the doodles of some omnipotent child entity. They are there because they are extremely useful to that animal in some way. We appreciate colours, there is no question of taste.
What some see as beautiful others see as appaling. There is no universal aesthetic.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Personally, I'm not completely aetheist, personally I look at all veiws from an outside perspective as well as an inside perspective. So perhaps this will give some answers that may help understand some thinking.

1) Firdt off, I believe that time is a man made concept, to organize events around them. Somewhere i read a theory, The the mind percieves what is considered to be the present. There have been stories that suggest this may be true but they are only peoples tales, most dealing with ghosts or paranormal activities. Also, this is a christianity and perhaps muslim (sorry very ignorant as to concepts in the muslim faith), question. For buddists, they believe in reincarnation, so this is a question not just regarding aetheists. Also, there is the whole infinite parallel dimensions theories.

2) First off nature has a brain. There are several animals, that have brains yet don't have the ability to transform thought into speech or any rational thought that we know of. Fact of the manner is the human brain is large in respect to our body size. There are materials in nature that we use today to do complicated mathmatics, physics, statistics, cheical reactions, etc. Now I know we had to build computers, so that to you would probaly suggest that someone to put together humans. However, the brain is still not understood nor will it be fully anytime soon. Also there are one celled organisms that don't have what many would consider a brain even though their nucleus would be. Does that not mean they are a form of life?

3)This is because of how our eyes and brains except the color signals. i'm no expert on this and honestly don't know much on how it completely recieved. there is also evigence to suggest that if the chemical reaction is changed, you will percieve different colors for the sky as well as the suroundings. However the content of it is probally unappropriate for this forum.

4)

(questions 5, 6 , and 7 use the same logic)

If that was the case then you have failed logic hense your question fails. see answer to question 7.
To be honest I know very little of physics, let alone quantum physics, which I believe this would pertain to. But if everything revoles around something else, what does the nucleus revole around, what do people revolve aound, the fact that you make a cycle out of seperate entities will cause this question to fail.

5 First the question is flawed here, but here out all I have to say on this. It is making the assumption that every planet that has or had the possibility to support life has one moon, and that moon would have similar dimensions. you are also comparing distance to size which causes the optical illusion. Also the more I learn in stats class the one thing that seems to keep coming up is the fact that when you are dealing with large porportions you will always some small probaility. Yet even for a small probaility, when talking about billions of stars in one galaxy. Billions of galaxies in one Universe in howwever many universes, there could be a million such cases out there easily.

6) They are carbon entities. Fruit in general is seeds surrounded by nutrients that will be added to the soil and allow the seed to gain nutrients also with animals eating the fruit it allows the seeds to be dispersed by animals and birds. There are several foods that cannot be processed by one animal by can by another. One such example is humans. We cannot eat grass, yet there are several animals that do. So why didn't "someone" make it so that people could also digest grass or heavy leaves, since they are so abundant? Also note that they range in several sizes. Some such as grapes take several to feed a person where as one watermelon would.

7) This is an assumtion based on failed logic, you would then be assuming that people came before the earth and sun, that they were conformed to fit humanity. The fact is that animals conform their habits to thier enviorments. Also this is failed logic. day and night legths constantly change, as well as climate over the course of a year. Also these are affected by latitude. Alaska has seasons where only a handful of hours are night or day.

8) No just natural selection/ survival of the fittest (EDIT: The true anthropoligical meaning of this not the commonly misunderstood one also know as Darwinian Fittness. This is supposed to mean how effective a species is at reproducing, nothing more.). Animals that rely on a specific pattern will survive long enough to reproduce and pass that trait on. Over time there is a process called gene flow that allows a variation to take place over a long period of time. Also sometimes a mutation will occur and the individuals that have that mutation will live long enough to reproduce and pass that mutation on. Eventually leading to a new species.

[edit on 3-4-2005 by silentlonewolf]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

My Mother and father had sex,a sperm reached an egg, and here I am, just like hundreds of billions of other animals on the planet. Being inside this body is of no consequence, if not this one, then another one, and it wouldn't be much different.

The same way my new computer is not much larger than a brain and can hold 80 gigs of info, 160 gigs of compressed info, and do 2.4 gigaflops of processing a second. Its just a bunch of electrical and magnectic signals but God doesn't make it work.

designed for
Those colors were not there before earth existed, the planet has gone through many changes over millions of years. The sky is blue because of the bending of WHITE light through the atmosphere. Not everyone likes blue and green, and the human eye requires all the colors or it will go mad, in fact it will create an illusion of other colors to maintain a balance if there is an over abundance of just one color.

"As above so below" is a Zoraostrian tenet. Is it coincedence? No, its the nature of the universe.
The earth is made of billion upon billions of atoms, likewise the solar system, likewise the galaxy.
Is it coincedence that water flows downhill? No gravity gets it there.

The sun and moon look different in size at different times of the day, and at different times of the year, and different at different parts of the plaent, so your ratios have absolutely no bearing on anything since they are not constants. In fact our distance from sun and moon isn't even constant.

Can you chew a coconut? No its too hard. How about crab apples? Nope too hard too sour. How about the many varieties of poisonous berries? Most fruit have evolved to be attractive to the wildlife that would devour them and spread their seed, that is their purpose. Humanity has genetically altered most fruit you see on a store shelf today, the tangerine and grapefruit for instance are cultivated by man, they are not naturally occuring deviations of normal fruit.

Duh...we adapted to the rotation of the earth, the earth wasn't spun to our liking. If the day was 8 hours long and night was 8 hours long, that is how we would measure time.

Thats camoflage, it helps the animals blend in with their natural environment. Moths, butterflies, can vanish on trees, leaves, flowers. Zebra, tigers, etc blend in with tall grasses. Humans wear camoflage when hunting and going to war, is "god" the fashion designer? haha. Every creature you see today has adapted over time to look the way it does because it is the most beneficial pattern to survival, all deviations of such patterns that made the creatures stand out like a sore thumb, certainly got that breed killed.

Here's questions for the faithful.
Why can't you grasp third grade science?
Why doesn't your deity answer all your dumb question with logical truth?
Why doesn't your deity lift a finger to save millions of diseased and starving children?
Why the hell does your deity allow weapons technology to surpass emotional and spiritual evolution? Example the USA has the atomic bomb while it was still largely a racist intolerant (christian) regime.
Why can't your deity get his own people to agree on the most basic identity of itself and its avatars?
Why since the advent of cameras and recording devices of every kinds hasn't your deity show itself globally?
How come the only appearance of it and its hosts was back when the world was a primitive bunch of loin cloth wearing neo-apes?
Why would your deity allow the rape of 20,000+ young boys and girls in America by its supposed direct servants, and the inhumane treatment of women by its supposed direct servants in the middle east?

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Bravo legalizer

You just scored youself a WATS vote from me mate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join