It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stryker vehicle failed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Any one who suggests replacing Stryker with a tracked vehicle hasn't understood a thing about this entire debate! Strykers are designed for LIGHT INFANTRY NOT HEAVY INFANTRY! With Light infantry its either wheels or leg mobility. They would never get Bradelys or Warriors.

The guy with the RPG doesn't give a damn what its used for, he sees something moving he is hitting it.
Light Infantry my A, strykers are being used just as much in urban areas as anything, they are jut begging to be hit so they need better armor.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well, IMHO, I'm not seeing any vehicle that is impervious to an urban conflict environment. You?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The guy with the RPG doesn't give a damn what its used for, he sees something moving he is hitting it.
Light Infantry my A, strykers are being used just as much in urban areas as anything, they are jut begging to be hit so they need better armor.

????? Then if thats true all you are saying is that the USA doesn't know how to fight. The problem is people like you who think all vehicles should be built to resist RPGs . Wake up!

[edit on 8-4-2005 by psteel]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Uhh... no, don't put words into my mouth. All I am saying is that in a war vehicles are not always used for what they are designed to do.

A Stryker has to drive in the roads, there for it is vulnerable
to either RPG attacks or IED's. And I'm not saying all vehicles should withstand RPG's I'm just saying the armor the Stryker needs to be better, so that it is not completely destroyed by one RPG hit.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Uhh... no, don't put words into my mouth. All I am saying is that in a war vehicles are not always used for what they are designed to do.

A Stryker has to drive in the roads, there for it is vulnerable
to either RPG attacks or IED's. And I'm not saying all vehicles should withstand RPG's I'm just saying the armor the Stryker needs to be better, so that it is not completely destroyed by one RPG hit.

I suggest you start to read more reports, cause the opposite is happening. most Strykers hit by IED/RPGs are not only surviving with minor injuries at best,but in most cases are able to make it back to base under their own power!

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I stand corrected the new upgraded Stryker Vehicles are not destroyed by RPG’s but are only minimally damaged and can still be operated after taking a hit.

Here is a quote from a report.

Stryker

The RPG did not hit the slat armor added to the vehicles specifically to ward off armor-piercing RPG warheads. It hit the hull of the Stryker, above the slats on the right side.

The grenade was fired from close range - less than 300 feet - and struck above the cage at the front of the Stryker, battalion officials said. Photographs of the damage showed finger-sized holes near the hinge of the armored hatch that covers the engine compartment.
Crew members had headaches after the blast, but drove the vehicle out of danger, said 1st Sgt. Mike Hurtado of the company.
"The vehicle was drivable. We drove it around in an attempt to pursue the enemy," said company commander Capt. A.J. Newtson.
It was another half-hour or so before they realized one of the engine hoses had been cut, so they stopped driving it to avoid further damage and later towed it to their base camp in central Mosul, he said.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
sorry for goin off the handle eirlier, It just sucks imagining the blood and # of the situation when family's involved. I forget how many families are involved in this thing. I apologize.
Good news to repot in addition. Since my last post i've met up with my brother and been givin some stories from the front. His Mev Stryker has been "hit" 7 times by RPG's, 5 were direct to the vehicle , and two were "close enough" The crazy, and most impressive part, is that all these hits minus one of the close ones were during the same fire fight! back in november 04 sometime soon after his deployment. When i asked him i was expecting him to say mabye a few other trucks have been hit and he'd witnessed it, all be damned if truth isn't stranger than fiction. Haveing heard his experiance i for one can say i'm damn happy with the proformance of the slat armor.

Another, funnier story of his. He was in town, pulling up next to another stryker to cover an alley way, they drove over a sink hole under the street and "crushed it" The vehicle was stopped from falling verticly backwards into the hole by catching the edge on the slat armor. So it's already gone out of it's design to save injury and millitary cash. It took another stryker to push and one to pull it back out of the hole, but they made it back to base just fine.

Just goes to show. with all the whining we could do about this and that, their are some instances (impressive at that, 5 direct!! in one day!!!) that we can take comfort in.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join