It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. says Israel must give up nukes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
For many years, Israel has been able to operate their nuclear program without the same level of scrutiny that other nations have had to endure but it now seems as though the US may hold them to similar standards as other nuclear capable nations.

haaretz
The State Department yesterday called on Israel to forswear nuclear weapons and accept international Atomic Energy Agency safeguards on all nuclear activities.

This is the second time in about two weeks that officials in the Bush administration are putting the nuclear weapons of Israel, India and Pakistan on a par.

The officials called on the three to act like Ukraine and South Africa, which in the last decade renounced their nuclear weapons.

--snip--

Sanders and Fitzpatrick refrained from calling on Israel, India and Pakistan explicitly to renounce their weapons. The expectation of these three states was phrased in terms of a vow - a verbal pledge to forswear, rather than real action. Nor was this demand accompanied by a time table, conditions and sanctions.

I'm really glad about this.
If Israel ever did disarm, it would be much harder for other nations in that region to justify nuclear programs.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
About time too!

US hypocrasy on this issue is one of the underlying causes for Arab/Muslim sentiment towards the US.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
In fact do u know that such a demand was made from the US under Kennedy... which pushes me to think about the JFK assassination and the US policy afterwards

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Bout time some Western allies were pressured into disarming, might as well start somewhere. Still hope Israel doesnt attack Iran in June tho...

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
TO all above,

Do you think that Israel's disarmament of nuclear weapons would but the world at ease about Arab/Islamic nuclear ambitions? Do you honestly think that Iran, Syria or any other Arab/Islamic nation would say to themselves "whew! now that the Israeli 'nuclear threat' has been removed we should stop developing weapons of mass destruction".

I think that would increase their nuclear ambitions and would place the threat of war at a higher likelyhood since it would make the destruction of Israel so much more possible.

I am sure that Israel's nuclear program can be monitored and regulated as on a defensive line while all Arab nuclear programs and ambitions should be disallowed.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Well the problem with Israel that it hasn't yet signed the nuclear proliferation treaty... I have no objections to it's program whilst it is regulated... All countries (including arab countries of course) should abide to this rule.
It's one step in the right direction

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
its the same propaganda over and over again, just a little imagination:

- The US pushes Israel to disarm their NW
- Israel "officially" agrees but is secretly pushing forward their NW"s
- Iran and Syria don't quit their NW research, because they know that Israelk would never quit their NW programm.
- The US and Israel have an "good", but as always "fake" argument to invade Iran/Syria.

Think a little bit more when You get Your news on FOX and CNN.

[edit on 3-4-2005 by bulgarian]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Having read the proposal at another location, it becomes clear that this is hardly a serious move. The proposal came from two lowly State Department staffers whilst the boys and girls at the top have remained strangely mute on such a far reaching statement.
There is also no mention of any timescale or talk of sanctions for non-compliance.

So, what we have is a little talk with absolutely no substance. Smoke and mirrors, the stuff of politics

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi
TO all above,

Do you think that Israel's disarmament of nuclear weapons would but the world at ease about Arab/Islamic nuclear ambitions? Do you honestly think that Iran, Syria or any other Arab/Islamic nation would say to themselves "whew! now that the Israeli 'nuclear threat' has been removed we should stop developing weapons of mass destruction".

Perhaps but it would justify conflict against those that didn't abide. But do you honestly think that Israel would stay the course if the international community enforced this. This is why I'm glad there are whistleblowers like Vanunu still around.

I am sure that Israel's nuclear program can be monitored and regulated as on a defensive line while all Arab nuclear programs and ambitions should be disallowed.

Wow the hypocrasy of that statement is incedible. What exactly puts Israel on a higher pedestal?

brill

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
bias aside, isreals defense is not sustainable without a nuclear detterent due to its small size and recent land concessions. we decided to put them there, it would be irresponsible to let them get flooded.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Bias aside, without nukes, the Israelis will still maintain/have one of the worlds best military's in equipment and training. Size makes no difference in this matter of 'military might'. Bet.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
looks like the us is trying to push their agenda on yet another foren sovern nation. why should isrial give up it's nukes just on the demand of the us? they have been attacted by their neibers a couple of times. when the us and everyone else compleatly give up their nukes then they can ask isrial to do the same. why should they not have what other naitions have? i think that a country armed with nukes asking another to get rid of theirs is hypocracy at its best.

i think that if isrial was to give up their nukes could be taken as a good time to try to eradicate isrial once again. no isrial has a lot to fear from the neiboring nations, as long as they don't preemptivly use them let them be. unless of course everyone else gets rid of theirs first. and supply isrial with troops to keep them secure. once the genie is out of the bottle you can never put it back.

i see this as a us intent to say "see we are not supporting isrial so now you have no excuse to attack us, see we are your friends". i hate to say it but it is a load of goods i don't think the palistinians will buy anyway. the us gov should stop pretending to be mr nice guy and the bringer of peace. just admit that you want to controll everyone in the world and that you will attack all who stand in your way as soon as practical.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The Isreali will give up their nukes', when they will "give up" Jerusalem - and that is NEVER!

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

US hypocrasy on this issue is one of the underlying causes for Arab/Muslim sentiment towards the US.

Give me a break. The main reason for Arab/Muslim sentiment towards the US and Israel is the Arab regimes and the media which they control. To keep their grip on power, they make their people believe that all of their problems are a result of the Jews and the Americans. When in reality their problems come from the regime which controls them.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

The Isreali will give up their nukes', when they will "give up" Jerusalem - and that is NEVER!

That's right Souljah!

To keep their grip on power, they make their people believe that all of their problems are a result of the Jews and the Americans. When in reality their problems come from the regime which controls them.

And also from a religion that keeps its followers in the 8th century. I'm sure that doesn't help a society prosper in a changing and modern world.

There are 280 million Arabs in the world and over a billion Muslims.
There are 6 million Israelis in Israel and over 13 million Jews in the world.

Kind of unfair odds? The Jews in Israel just want to survive. The Arabs can easily afford to lose five major wars with Israel. The Israelis on the other hand can't even lose ONE or it's over and the Jews will be swimming in the sea.

Remember the Holocaust? Every Jew does and "Never Again." I'll remind you why Israel has nuclear weapons: In 1939 there were 16,728,000 Jews. Even after 60 years of growth and recuperation the Jewish numbers still hover around 13 million. A third of a people whiped out and the Jews have still not recovered! Even though my rabbi has 15 children!

The Israelis will do anything to save themselves only if it is forced up on them.

At the end of the Yom Kippur war in 1973 where Israel came dangerously close to using its "real" weapons, Golda Meir the prime Minister of Israel had this to say about the Muslim Arabs: I can forgive you for killing my sons, but I cannot forgive you for forcing me to kill your sons

She pretty much summed it up right there

[edit on 4/3/2005 by verfed]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
You know I support Bush and our military but how they treat Israel really iterates me. We almost give all of our military systems to the Israel and don't regulate or tell them to disbanded their nuclear arsenal.

Israel would be nothing without the U.S. we should tell them ether regulate you arsenal or scale it down, or good luck keeping up your military by yourself. To me Israel is one of the most dangerous counties on the missile east, in 91 when Iraq was sending scuds into Israel they wanted to use Nukes and the U.S. convinced them otherwise. And Don't label me as a Jew hater or any of that other Bs, I’m just telling the truth.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Wow

This news is really interesting and a good move by the US administration!

Blobber

[edit on 3-4-2005 by Blobber]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If the Big stick is God then yes Israel is playing unfairly but don't tell me that Israel is the big bad bully against the Arabs. The surrounding Arab states won't take in the Palestinians! The Arabs are the bullies of the Palestinians!

After Israel's war for independence over 580,000 Jews that were living in Arab countries from Morocco to Iran were instantly absorbed into the Israeli society as an integral part of Eretz Israel.

How many Palestinians that were living in Israel were accepted into Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Lybia, Iran, Morocco, Tunisia, Irag, Yemen or Oman? Did the Arabs allow their Muslims brothers to become important members of their socitey?

No. They forced the Palestinians onto refugees camps where they live in squallor and poverty. Those camps are the perfect weapons against Israel.

Unable to defeat Israel militarily the Arabs use their own people as weapons theoretically and literally speaking. The middle East is huge enough to easily absorb a few million Palestinians who are no different then Jordanians or Egyptians or any other Arab Muslims.

Yassar Arafat the Egyptian is a good Example. He hijacked the Palestinian people in his feable attempt to set up a family mob state in Israel similar to Saddam in Iraq.

Israeli Jews help the world Jewry. Do the Arabs help eachother? No. They use eachother in their vain attempts to destroy Israel.

The bully to the Palestinian people is the rest of the Arab "street."

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It's just talk. Don't believe that garbage. They told Israel to withdraw and they didn't from Palestinian territories.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Israel having, or not having nukes, will make no difference on any country's or militant oganization's nuclear ambitions. The fact that you are sporting a nice shiny nuke gains you entrance into the big boys club.

First comes the nukes, then comes the delivery system.

Anyone who has them gets taken seriously and the world/UN will try to do anything to keep them from using their new toys. Including monetary payoffs. National pride is also at stake. How proudly do they wave their huge nuke in the air announcing to the world that they are equal in power to the great satan.

North Korea is a prime example of this.

They all will keep their eyes on the prize.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join