It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ice Age coming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
www.firstscience.com...

I've read that if all the glaciers in the world melted, the world wouldn't be all flooded like the movie "Water World" but would rather disrupt the the Ocean Conveyor Belt....which in turn would bring about another Ice Age......

I think this theory is very sound. Sounds like one of mother nature's many ways of renewing itself..

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Actually, a lot of people dont really get this, but we ARE currently in an ice age.

In geologic terms, any time that the planet has ice anywhere on the surface year round, it is in what is called "Ice House" conditions. The amount of ice that is locked up at any one time may vary, but if there is ANY, it is technically already an ice age.

At any time that ice does not exist year round on the surface, it is what is called "Hot House" conditions. Also, contrary to popular opinion, the entire surface of the planet will NOT flood like in the movie Water World (God what a hokey movie). There simply is not enough water on the planet to do so.

Granted, a lot of land surface will be inundated (most of Florida will be gone, as well as most current coastal areas). Given complete 100% Hot House conditions, with NO ice cap whatsoever, there would likely be an approximate sea level rise of around 10 meters. Coast lines would move inland significantly, and there is a good chance that new inland seas will be formed... But there will still be sufficient land to survive on.

Conversely, in the event of Ice House conditions (at least worse than what we are experiencing now), the entire surface of the planet would not be covered in ice. Granted, a good deal of water would be locked up in ice at the poles, and the glaciers would indeed move south as they did about 40,000 years ago. Sea level would drop, a new land bridge between Alaska and Siberia would open along the Beiring Straights. Significant new real estate in the continental shelf would be exposed, and would spring up as incredibly fertile coastal plains. The tropical regions would shrink and the temperate climates would move closer to the equator.

Although your high lattitude residences would now be akin to living in Dead Horse Alaska, there would still be mroe than enough livable space on the planet (indeed in Ice House, there would be MORE space) to support the Human Race.

Also, PLEASE dont panic thinking this is going to happen overnight.... Ice Ages come and go on a regular basis, and have been doing so for MILLIONS of years. (It has been extremely well documented) Its nothing new. We just havent been around to see them as a species (at least not in a way that we could record it in technicolor). On average it will take over 1000 years (probably more) for such a drastic climactic change to occur.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 01:07 AM
link   
actually I have come across theories and facts that support such an event and it can happen quickly, in a season
the atmosphere heats up so rapidly and glaciers melt so much that the humidity across the planet rises dramatically resulting in incredible amounts of precipitation. current theory [popular] is that glaciers slowly advace. new theories are that massive storms with huge depth of accumulation occur rapidly. thus explaining how a whooly mamoth could be incased in ice with food in his mouth, a 15 foot snow storm in hours, one after the other, accumulating depths of 100's of feet
there is geological evidence that this occurance happens at peak every 11,000 years or so.
the theory does not recognize extreme temps just extreme accumulation
life would still flourish in lower lattitudes, just not as hot. I do not care for heat any way, have had three heat stokes
this is why I live in Alaska, and today it was to hot here.
indian legend here says that when the fireweed blossoms winter is coming. fireweed is a tall grass with beautifull purple flowers similar to digitalis of Northern California. they usually blossom in late september and their height is said to correlate with the coming snowfall. it is July and they are blooming outside my igloo they are over 7 feet tall and 2 months early?
just a couple of stories and myths I have encountered

tut tut

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
incredebile coincidence right from the start 'actually'. slight variations but more similarities
I do not belive in coincidence

tut tut

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 04:07 AM
link   
DR, I know you are a knowledgeable geologist and I have a few question for you as well as Tut.

Have you both read 5/5/2000? I'm not dealing with his prediction for that time period but what I am raising here is his postualtions and findings concerning 'pole-shifts' in the past and possible implications of this happening in the future. What do you both think on this? Is it proven or just a premise/specualtion?
Thanks and hope to hear what you both think.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen
actually I have come across theories and facts that support such an event and it can happen quickly, in a season
the atmosphere heats up so rapidly and glaciers melt so much that the humidity across the planet rises dramatically resulting in incredible amounts of precipitation. current theory [popular] is that glaciers slowly advace. new theories are that massive storms with huge depth of accumulation occur rapidly. thus explaining how a whooly mamoth could be incased in ice with food in his mouth, a 15 foot snow storm in hours, one after the other, accumulating depths of 100's of feet
there is geological evidence that this occurance happens at peak every 11,000 years or so.
the theory does not recognize extreme temps just extreme accumulation
life would still flourish in lower lattitudes, just not as hot. I do not care for heat any way, have had three heat stokes
this is why I live in Alaska, and today it was to hot here.
indian legend here says that when the fireweed blossoms winter is coming. fireweed is a tall grass with beautifull purple flowers similar to digitalis of Northern California. they usually blossom in late september and their height is said to correlate with the coming snowfall. it is July and they are blooming outside my igloo they are over 7 feet tall and 2 months early?
just a couple of stories and myths I have encountered

tut tut

Tut, I too have read and heard these theories as well and I won't pretend to answer for DR. I merely will interject that many of these theories which can really sound as if they are link by cause and effect very well simply don't have their basis in fact and are supported by research. Often, they are merely politics and thus aren't attempted to be proven just developed as used as leverage. Once questioned, the argument is usually taken to a character assasination level. A case in point is global warming. Global Warming is the one of the most widely accepted theories of all time which has time and again been proven wrong. Its based on computer projections given a set of pre-programmed parameters which, we no know, are false. Why, because we have atmospheric data which actually goes the other way from the computer models. When one presents this, it usually boils down to..."Well, you're just an enemy of the environment!!"

Now, I'm not saying an immediate Ice Age is impossible...I guess we could have a comet strike which is composed of gas and ice..some have theorized this has happned to bring about the original triggers for the Ice Ages. I wonder why we have fossilized mammoths with prarie grass in their stomachs flash-frozen. Not too many other explainations for that one. When we put wood in highway fills and compact it, it still rots. Thats why we aren't allowed to do that. So what must have taken place to bring a pressure that would cause such a process? Miles and Miles of Ice most likely. But why would it not have time to rot first? Dragon Rider, any thoughts...any thoughts from anyone?

top topics

join