It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth: Critical (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The millennium Ecosystem Assessment report, released by the United Nations has warned that the planet is in a very bad state and will get much worse very soon if the current western patterns of Eco-unfriendly lifestyle continue. There are fears that these ways of life may be adopted by the developing world.

Over 60% of the world's grasslands, forests, farmlands, rivers and lakes have been depleted. Fisheries have collapsed, freshwater supplies are under great threats, and air and water pollution are threatening health.

www.sciscoop.com
But in our current technological state, becoming wealthy is correlated with energy use, which in turn is correlated with greenhouse gas emissions, which causes the granddaddy of environmental degradation, global warming.

Indeed, it's through such pollution that the west, and especially the United States, has achieved its wealth and its relatively intact/recovered ecosystems.

So how are the developing countries to achieve this wealth without exacerbating the problem? Green technology, and plenty of it, seems the only answer, which is why the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment is something even technologists should be interested in.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This report needs to be posted to every house in the western world. Too many people are currently blind to the fact that we are destroying our own planet. If each person made a slight change to their lifestyle it would make a big change overall. Even simple tasks as recycling each week can make a huge difference. More Eco-friendly technology needs to become available at a cheaper price, such a thing as solar power could be used a lot more throughout the world but is currently not.

Related News Links:
www.sciscoop.com

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be better to use something other than the site you used as your source. It looks like a forum, rather than a news site.
FWIW

Is this the same story:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-4-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I beg your pardon?.... this will only continue if the "current western patterns of Eco-unfriendly lifestyle continue"?......

You have got to be kidding, this couldn't have more bias....

China, and some of the other eastern countries are not that far behind the "western pattern of eco-unfriendly lifestyles"....

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Wouldn't it be better to use something other than the site you used as your source. It looks like a forum, rather than a news site.
FWIW

Actually (since I've had this discussion more than once today) that's your call via your vote. I don't necessarily think it's constructive to point out in the thread that you have decided to dismiss the source, but if you choose so, I would think you'd just vote it down.

It is my understanding that the new system will give you the ability to pick a reason you are voting a story down, which would allow you to send a u2u to the writer explaining what you stated here. That's probably going to be a better way to do this.

Not everyone will view the source the same way you did.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This story has already been reported twice today.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is a subject that I think is important, but this particular article is offering no new information, and no numbers. Just a general statement. We all know the problem exists.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
we are living on time. the earth has not enough for our squanderous activity.

get your rocks off and face the music.

think about your kids and grand-kids.

only now can we change the future.

sounds pleonastic but wake up!

ps. im no angel.

new topics

top topics

join