It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(news) Pope John Paul II Has Died

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
James, buddy, we had to listen to Americans beat their chests and wail when Reagan went. I didn't like reagan, I don't like the catholic church, but JPII was probably the first and only pope I like. He helped modernize the religion with the second vatican council, he spoke daily, was a man of the people. While I do not neccesarily agree with the teaching of the Catholic Church, he did many good things, and tried his best to make the world a better place. I'm pretty anti-religion, but at least I can stand back and look at things objectively. John Paul was a great man, and he will be missed with good reason.

DE

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
He was the leader of the largest church on the planet, his passing is certainly news. I think he is honorable man for many great things he did. When he asked for forgivness from past crimes of the church he showed everyone that his heart is in the right place. RIP John Paul II.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Of course this is news, the fact a billion catholics have been glued to the TV shows it. Remember its not just the death of the Pope thats that the media is concerened about but whos going to replace him. For the newer generation of catholics its a sad but exciting time nd to say its not news is rediculous.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There are some people on ATS who need to heed the advice of thumpers mom from bambi... "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

This is a sad day for a great many people, and while you may have strong opinions the least you can do is save your comments until monday and give those who need it time to mourn.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
All you Pope bashers out there, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Like it or not, a great man has died today and people all over the world are mourning and all you have to add is negativity. Many, many people saw the Pope as a spiritual father, as well as a Father in the Catholic sense. Why don't you stop to think about how you'd feel if your father's dying made headline news and people said to you, "He was just an old man, not important to anyone, and I'm glad he's dead"? I have a feeling you wouldn't like it too much.

Personally I'm very sad to see him go. I'm not into organized religion, but rather I take beliefs from a lot of different religions and blend them into one. The Pope was a great person and a great leader of a Church that is still great, even if it has seen it's better days. Please, for at least a few days, let's remember him for the good things that he's done for the world and forget hatred and old grudges.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I understand from reports I heard that during his final hours here, he asked to be read to from the account of the 'third hour' of Christ's suffering, St. Mark 15:25.

"And it was the third hour, and they crucified Him." (capitalization inserted)

It is yet to truly be appreciated how closely John Paul II walked with the Lord during his life here on earth. He will be welcomed joyously into the Kingdom of Heaven. May his soul live forever in exaltation on high.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My heart goes out to all those that are Catholic, and even tho Im not that religious I will use that Avatar in honor of his death...

and if you have anything against the pope please dont post here...

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
To James the lesser and all you others bad mouthing man now dead...John Paul 2nd did more good in this world than all you bloody self-righteous nihists ever did or will. I am not Catholic or a member of any organized religion but I can recognize a great soul whether I agree with it or not AND I can recognize small ones as well. And, you gentlemen are small.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yeah please let the man R.I.P. he did alot of good in the world, and frankely I'm glad my Bubcha isn't here to see this as she actually met the Man twice.. She would have taken it very hard ... For his critics, do not look at his later years as a complete judge of character but look at his history(Especially in Poland). This Man has preached nothing but Peace and Forgiveness throughout his entire life. He personified the saying "Turn the Other Cheek" as he actually forgave his would-be assassin. I personally am against ALL orginized religions but even I am not so blind as to degrade a truely great Human Being. Who was the First to speak out against a violent reaction to 9/11. The Pope. Nuff Said...

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well I may not be Catholic but I do feel sorry for the guy. But I suppose it isn't all bad. He lived a long and successful life, and died of natural causes at an old age. Sad to say, but this is about the happiest ending we could get. All people die eventually.

Either way my thoughts and prayers go out to John Paul II and his devout followers.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am not Catholic, I am not Christian. I am an athiest. However, I feel for the passing of John Paul II.

I didn't agreee with his views on women in the clergy, contraception, and much else.

Why am I saddened? Because the world has lost a man who loved us all, Christian, Jew, Muslim, athiest.

Whether you agreed with him or not, it's hard not to respect such a person. I remember him becoming Pope when I was about 9 or 10 years old. He's been part of the fabric of society ever since.

If his god exists I'm sure he's earned a smooth passage into that Kingdom.

Goodbye,

Steve (lister) a non believer

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I"M NOT BASHING THE POPE! I AM BASHING THE MEDIA WHO THINKS THIS IS NEWS! He is old, he dies of old age, not news. Like I said before, rocks sink in water, not news, fire being hot, not news, old people dieing of old age, not news.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
I"M NOT BASHING THE POPE! I AM BASHING THE MEDIA WHO THINKS THIS IS NEWS! He is old, he dies of old age, not news. Like I said before, rocks sink in water, not news, fire being hot, not news, old people dieing of old age, not news.

James when something affects more than a billion people its news. Don't like it? Buy your own paper and don't print the death of the Pope, but if you want tosell it people will want to hear about things happening in the world.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

That's a bit harsh I'd say...I'm not Christian, but my goodness anyone who is "anyone" is going to get news coverage...sports stars
entertainment field, politicians...did you really think that the biggest religious leader for the Catholics would pass away with no news!? How naive.... plus, why shouldn't they? To many people this is a very large and sad event! Be respectful! Just becasue it mean nothing to you...doens't means it's not important to others.

[edit on 4/2/05 by LadyV]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I had a lot of respect for John Paul II, but frankly, I've heard enough for now. I don't mind coverage, but not to the exclusion of all else. Right now on Fox, it's just endless anecdotes by anyone who can speak English. They ran out of new things to say hours ago.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yeah and why arent you screaming about the michael jackson trial? he is just another sex offender on trail thats not news if we take your stance.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Controversial or not, Pope John Paull II touched a great many lives, something that many will not ever do who frequent this board.

It is a somber and sad moment. A pause for reflection.

And thanks to a man who did his duty as he saw it and thought God wanted him to.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well, after reading most of these posts with the exception of a few, it is quite apparent that the world of the occult, is indeed still very occult.

That's a very Christian cross there for ya folks! There is plenty more too. Maybe you could ask yourself why he held an egyptian scepter, a jewish yarmulke, sported the maltese cross, and that fancy head dress symbolizing the Philistine diety Dagon the fish god.

I don't think that tells you he is a reptile, but there is something fishy going on here hmmm? Let's not forget his connection to I.G. Farben, oh so humanitarian.

Maybe you should ask yourselves why in a speach today presented by the Prime Minister of Canada, Paul Martin, said that this man helped in the subversion of communism in Poland, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and lest us forget, the construction of a New World Order. Yes he said New World Order, on National Television like Papa Bush, but this was very sly. It was on the CBC network if any of you are interested.

Point in case, there are alot of sheep here, go to sleep sheeple, you are the lambs of God.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
R.I.P.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Some people are truely amazing. If it's not news to you, don't read the thread.

The Pope, a man of greatness, who's God's followers believed was the person closest to God. A world leader who was a tireless advocate for peace.
Who can not respect such a man?

We know what path God had chosen for you John Paul, may you rest in eternal peace.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join