It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to increase your knowledge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Something has bothered me for quite some time on these boards. Specifically, the Science board has been saturated with "theories" that someone came up with on the top of their head. Here is what you SHOULD DO:

#1. DO AT LEAST 2 GOOGLE SEARCHES!!!

Oh my gosh! It is so simple to look up a few keywords and see if there is ANY scientific evidence to support your idea. To know for sure, the site will probably be a ".gov" or from a credible science foundation or perhaps the research of a professor at a university. (Edit: Also, if sources are listed at the bottom, it is more likely to be credible.) A GEOCITIES WEBSITE PROBABLY DOESN'T COUNT!

#2. If you are serious about the idea, grab a book from the library (not in the NEW AGE section). Compare your idea with some of the basic ideas of someone else. You probably can't read formal mathematics or understand multi-dimensional physics, but you can read the introduction to the book and get an idea of what the book is trying to explain.

#3. Present THAT idea after at least one of the above two steps.

Don't talk about theories of time travel if you've never read any credible idea about WHAT time travel actually is. Many people at least read something by Stephen Hawkings, such as "A Brief History of Time". The book isn't that big and you can probably read a couple chapters (just the ones you are interested in) and have a good idea of what theories are out there. NOTE: if nothing makes sense, you probably shouldn't be putting forth YOUR idea of time travel. I mean, would you ever ask an ice fisherman escimo the rules of basketball?

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Protector]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Let's say you really are interested in KNOWING something. Here are some tricks:

(One quick note: e.g. = for example, i.e. = that is)

Google searches:
Use quotations ("") to surround a complete idea.
e.g. "quantum entanglement" "time travel"

Ask Google a question (must have a question mark at the end).
e.g. how many square feet are in an acre?
ans: 1 acre = 43 560 square feet

Remove words you don't want (use a minus sign right before the word)
e.g. "video games" -xbox -dreamcast

Computer shortcuts you should know (for PC):
(Note: press and hold first key, then press second key)
Alt-F4 = closes the window in the foreground (i.e. on top)
Ctrl-a = select all (i.e. highlights all text)
Ctrl-x = cut (i.e. copies and removes all text that you have highlighted)
Ctrl-c = copy (i.e. copies all text that you have highlighted)
Ctrl-v = paste (i.e. insert text that has been cut or copied)
Ctrl-z = undo last typed command (can be repeated)
Ctrl-y = redo last typed command (can be repeated)
Alt-tab = cycle through windows (keep pressing tab to continue cycling)
Shift-end = selects/highlights all text from cursor to the end of the line
Shift-home = selects/highlights all text from cursor to the beginning of the line.
(If you care about keyboard shortcuts, you will try each of these right now)

Want to learn how to make webpages:
www.w3schools.com
Note: This is a very extensive website, but just learn HTML and you'll be well on your way.

Want to learn how databases work:
www.w3schools.com...
sqlcourse.com...

Want to learn about Physics:
Basics: www.colorado.edu...
Advanced: particleadventure.org...
Strings: www.pbs.org...

Want good news sources that cover a wide range of topics:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.spacedaily.com
www.slashdot.org

Want some good background information on a variety of topics:
www.howstuffworks.com

Background information on a variety of religions:
www.beliefnet.com
www.wikipedia.com (do a search for the religion)

Hack legally (if you can):
www.hackthissite.org...

Computer Security:
Basics: www.cert.org...
Don't forget to use WindowsUpdate (IE6 -> Tools -> Windows Update)
And also update your Linux/Unix Box or Mac as update become available.

If you have some money to throw around and want to learn about computers:
Join: ACM pd.acm.org...
Join: IEEE AND Computer Society bell.computer.org...

Stuff for Future Computer enthusiasts
Operating System on a CD:
www.knoppix.org...

Latest news and statistics on computer hardware:
www.tomshardware.com...

Places to get good prices on computer hardware:
www.newegg.com...
www.pricewatch.com...

If you need to lookup a word:
www.m-w.com
www.webster.com
www.merriam-webster.com (all the same site)

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Protector]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Hey Protector, thanks for the links.

I bookmarked this page. If I come back, say, I month later will this thread pop up or will I get a error? I'd like to do that to a few other threads too.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I doubt there will be a problem with that, but if you do get an error, you can still do a search for the thread as long as you remember a few keywords.

Just as a note, if you really desire learning something, don't put it off until next month

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the tips, the shortcut keys are handy.

I also would like to add that there is alot Google can do for you when searching. There are lots of tricks that I'm just learning about. You can buy books on Google at any bookstore. They will show you how to write scripts for your searches. Here is a link for basic searches.

Google Help

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Far too many could easily find answers to if they only tried.

Points?

Science is fascinating and if only a little research was done beforehand the quality of discussions in here would improve greatly.

I think a lot of people just go around asking questions to see how many points they can get. Here are a couple, “What is Time?” or “What is magnetism?”

Deny Ignorance!!!! Read a book

Let me repeat: Deny Ignorance!!!! Read a book

[edit on 4/2/05 by NoPhobos]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Protector
Something has bothered me for quite some time on these boards. Specifically, the Science board has been saturated with "theories" that someone came up with on the top of their head.

This is AboveTopSecret remember. This "Science" forum sits alongside topics like paranormal, ghosts, UFO's and aliens from Zeta Rectum. You get the point, right?

Originally posted by Protector
Don't talk about theories of time travel if you've never read any credible idea about WHAT time travel actually is.

I just don't understand how you can say that when time travel _is_ a highly speculative topic. One theory is just as good as another theory until someone can actually prove or disprove one. Of course, it's well known in science that more has been discovered by disproving theories than creating theories. So do something for science by arguing against these theories that people have "made up" off the top of their heads.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think it’s important to remember that ATS is a public forum covering a wide variety of topics.
People come here of all ages, educations, and interests.

Some have backgrounds including science and research and are going to be interested in well thought out, logical writing supported by facts and established scientific theories. They expect a person’s opinions to pass at least some minimal test of plausibility.

Others come here to engage in a more conversational interaction. They throw out a few ideas just to see what flies and what sinks. If the topic takes off—great. If not, it’s on to something else.

I think this mix is one of the things that make ATS strong. Each person can find a discussion at the level they are interested in and comfortable with. Generally a quick glimpse at a topic will tell you if it is a subject that you wish to discuss and if it is being handled in a way you wish to discuss it.

If it isn’t, one can simple move on to the next.

For myself, I am especially impressed that there are many people here who bring real scientific expertise to a subject. It serves as educational to me when I ask a laymen’s question and get an expert’s response. Others may find that a too serious answer just takes the fun out of their speculation.

I guess my best suggestion would be for everyone starting a thread to just give it a little thought and frame the topic at the conversational tone that you would want people to respond with.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I understand that people come here with a variety of backgrounds, but I just fear the day that I logon to see:

"Dude, I was watching this episode of SouthPark, and the anal probe inside of Cartman teleported him to another dimension, like 20,000 years later and gave him super powers. It was awesome!!!

Is that possible?"

Not everyone has to be a genius, but I'd like to see some amount of quality or mystery (true questions to be answered) in each post. I've been on this board for years and I've always tried to ask good questions, even if bazaar.

An old friend once told me, "You are absolutely judged by the content of your words and if you can't form a coherant sentence it shows that you are not to be taken seriously, and only laughed at for your ignorance."

A tough lesson, but one that everyone should learn if they are ever to be taken seriously. It is my wish that everyone get laughed at in their lifetime so that they too may learn this lesson.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Eh Byrd I cannot see your post.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
You can't see the post because it was a "moderator bump to the top. I didn't actually say anything."

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
You can't see the post because it was a "moderator bump to the top. I didn't actually say anything."

Ah that explains it....

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is very interesting, I never knew this could be possible

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
you forgot to mention
Ctrl p=print

[edit] Ctrl p=print

[edit on 13-5-2005 by this is yellow 13]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
i time travel 1 hour twice a year, more if i travel.

great thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hey what if "The Protector" is rilly a aliun who is tryin 2 stop us frum benifitin from usin hour intuishin??? Anything is possuble!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Seriously, Protector: if you are going to take people to task for the inane content of their posts, not to mention the "coherant content" (sic) of said posts, you might want to invest in a style guide, as your posts are rife with spelling AND gramatical errors! Just a thought.

PS - "coherent" "bizzare", etc.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yes, I noticed one word right off the bat......that was Escimo, actually Eskimo and from the looks of things you could actually ask them about basketball Here right on the top of the page..... Huffy Sports Exacta Height Portable Basketball System, supplied by: Eskimo Leisure Huffy Sports Clear Slam 9H893,
"Huffy Sports Exacta Height basketball system will provide hours of fun and amusement for your Eskimo"

And who could forget this classic:Eskimo

Lastly:
In the long, dark winters and stormy weather, the people need to engage themselves in activities they enjoy. Eskimos love to have fun and like strength activities such as tug of war, as well as the telling of stories and singing. Today, village high schools host such activities as basketball, track, and Eskimo Olympics.
Eskimo Culture

[edit on 14-6-2005 by missinginmaine]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This from a man who leaves an "r" off of his own title:

opensecret1150
Interdimensional Logic Enforce

Slick.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Seriously, I keep an Encyclopaedia Britannica set and a seven-language dictionary next to my loo (watercloset, john, head, or toilet). It is amazing what you can learn whilst sitting upon the throne.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join