It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why didn't China join the PAK-FA/T-50 project?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yeah I guess to some aspect the fighter shape has to be a certain way to have all the features you mentioned, but I look at the Russian jets and they don't seem to be looking that much like the F/A-22.

The new Pak-fa (or is it the T-50?) looks almost exactly like the Raptor, save for the two cones that extend beyond the engine.

great minds think alike my friend.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
That or there are only so many shapes that are stealth that can be applied to planform stealth. That and its cheaper to let someone start the research or take cues from. Both the US and Russia are guilty of doing it and up until the 80s or 90s it was usually the US doing it to Russia its the other way around now.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rapier28

Let me give my perspective...

India wanted to seriously involve itself in the 5 th Generation Aircraft project as it learnt from the LCA experience that it can in no way handle the MCA project. On the other hand Russia was more eager to for Indian participation because they knew, even if India had the knowhow its technology is still in infancy to design an aircraft which would compete with Russian aircraft in future. Thats not the case with the Chinese, though they still lack in engine and avionics designing, if onboard Pak Fa project they would narrow thier gap with Russians soon. This was the status some years ago when the project was first proposed to India.

Ironically the Indians were impressed with the Migs Mig I 2000 proposal and not the Sukhoi`s heavy aircraft concept. But the Migs dint have any money and Russians knew only Sukhoi had limited resources to even design a Pak fa....that said the Russians worked on Pakfa for some years and then again came back to India with thier finalised design to impress Indians...but unfortunately Indians were furious as they knew the project is in a advanced stage and they have lost out on the knowledge curve of designing, once again the sukhoi corp came back and said they would also design a lighter aircraft for Indians with the Pak fa technology just like the F-35, but Indians discarded the idea as it was again costly...finally a compromise was worked out...in lines as the Su-MKi, ie though being a heavier aircraft with two pilots it would perform varied missions thus suiting Indians requirement..(India has more pilots and less aircraft) Though India knew Russia would not allow Chinese participation in Pak Fa, Russia would invariably sell these aircrafts to China and in order to check that decision making India is now reluctantly onboard the project. It did release some emergency funds requested by the Sukhoi for the prototypes but it needs to be seen how far the twin seat configeration impress the IAF bosses. As of now India shares 25 % of IP rights for the project and Indian Pakfa will be a Hybrid of Pak Fa airframe and western and India avionics.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join