It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Record Number of Terror Warrants Approved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
A secretive U.S. Court that meets regularly at the Justice Department, has approved a record number of special warrants last year. The warrants authorize wiretaps and searches of those suspected of terrorism. It marks a 75 percent increase from the year 2000. The Total of 1754 was slightly higher than last year but highlights the changes since the 911 attacks.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The government requested and won approval for a record number of special warrants last year for secret wiretaps and searches of suspected terrorists and spies, 75 percent more than in 2000, the Bush administration disclosed Friday.

Assistant Attorney General William E. Moschella revealed the figure in an annual report to Congress. Last year's total of 1,754 approved warrants was only slightly higher than the 1,724 approved in 2003. But the number has climbed markedly since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, as authorities have moved aggressively against terror suspects. In 2000, there were 1,003 warrants approved under the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to the report, the warrants allow access to searching and taping almost anything. Items such as safe deposit boxes and video surveillance have been implemented with these warrants. Under the Patriot Act, it is much easier for the FBI to get the warrants and they seem to be using them as much as they can.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Should it be a surprised? I wonder if the people on surveillance are American citizens or foreign born, that will be something interesting to find out.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Should it be a surprised? I wonder if the people on surveillance are American citizens or foreign born, that will be something interesting to find out.

That would be, but ill bet you that the warrents are taken out as 'Jane and John Doe" you know that they are VERY suspicious. I doubt we will know for years. Maybe in 45-50 a FOIA request will be of use. They would be reluctant to give names as it could compromise sources etc.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
So, if they find them guilty are we to find out what kind of terrorist act they are plotting? or they will be whisper away to some concentration camp or jail.

People can be taken away from our neighborhood as now and we don't even know.

Some scary times coming ahead.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is nothing new. they are talking about permanant structures at Camp Xray at Gitmo. There also has been talk that some of these suspects will be held without charges for life.

That being said, I do not think that people will be disapearing and certainly they cannot spy on everybody. We are talking about less than 2000 of these warrents compared to 1000 or so pre 911, so an increase of 751 or so given the climate is not unresonable.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
FredT I don't think that the patriot act can take away the constitutional rights of an American born.

I know that the patriot act do a lot of things but I don't think they can do that to an American born.

Somebody will be able to raise a red flag if somebody is taken away, even if is guilty still has rights as a citizen.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
FredT I don't think that the patriot act can take away the constitutional rights of an American born.

The Patriot act does make it wasier to take a look see at what you are doing, but I think they can still apply it to citizens. Moussaui (spelling) is a citizen I thought and the government is using aspect of the Act to hold him.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
How can you trust anyone that is unaccountable? It amost certainly invites corruption. And in my opinion holding someone for a period of time without bringing chargest agaisnt them is kidnapping. People who kidnap should be dealt with harshly in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

from article
The government requested and won approval for a record number of special warrants last year for secret wiretaps and searches of suspected terrorists and spies...

'Terrorists" still trying to enter this country, FredT?
IF so, based on leads, etc., should not those people be investgated, wiretapped, etc?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
['Terrorists" still trying to enter this country, FredT?
IF so, based on leads, etc., should not those people be investgated, wiretapped, etc?seekerof

Seekerof,

you quoted the article not me. I said from above:

That being said, I do not think that people will be disapearing and certainly they cannot spy on everybody. We are talking about less than 2000 of these warrents compared to 1000 or so pre 911, so an increase of 751 or so given the climate is not unresonable.

I believe that we are in agreement on the investigational end of things. I am not troubled by the FBI doing thier job, I Am troubled by holding people without charges forever.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
As such, FredT, your article makes no mention of:

I Am troubled by holding people without charges forever.

In all fairness, is this a carryover from a Gitmo thread that I missed?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
No you did not miss it. It came up (I brought it up) in Marg and I's back and forth.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Im a little confused; would someone explain to me why they are upset with the patriot act. I know our rights are being questioned etc but I dont see them being trampled. Are people afraid of being questioned about there citizenship that frightening. Maybe Im just confused. I will admit I have had a problem with the patriot act and that questioning started when I tried to get a new bank account. I lost my social security card and birth certificate in a move. This small F***** up situation has cost me some griefe but im still lost at why people feel the patriot act is infringing on our rights? Now to the point... What are you afraid of. Why be afraid of these secret warrants? I dont see any reason to freak out unless you or others have something to hide?

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Hmmm.... why be afraid? It could be the total lack of accountability? Could it be the part of being held without recourse for a possible mistake?
Anyone giving up freedom for safety, deserves neither.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I know the patriot act does take away some freedom, but will the act or all of these warrents actually catch any of the terrorists? I gue we will half to wait to find out.
If you think the patriot act now is bad, if it fails to catch the terrorists wait untill the next atack and the patriot act 2. It will be worse.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I am going to use the Guantanamo detainees, how many of them were guilty? and how many were not.

Still they were detain with no due process and even abuse.

The mere fact that they have released some tells you that it was a witch hunt to get lucky and find guilty ones.

Now who is to say that something like that would not happen to American born, the regulations on invasion of privacy on the patriot act is still not very define.

We will never know what the standards for investigation on a private citizen will be.

I believe that abuse of power will always be present when is not limits at what the new agencies like home land security can do.

new topics

top topics

join