It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

improved mobile 36D6 radar systems in Iran

page: 1

join
share:
Sep

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Moscow had just completed the installation of two advanced radar systems around the Bushehr nuclear reactor on the Persian Gulf.

These improved mobile 36D6 systems, Western codenamed Tin Shield, were custom-made to upgrade the air defense radar protecting Iran’s key nuclear facilities from American or Israeli aerial, missile or cruise missile attack.

If that was all, it might have passed without too great a hullabaloo.

However, the fat hit the fire when the Russians were discovered to be building the same system at Iran’s uranium enrichment plants for military purposes in Isfahan in central Iran. It was taken to mean that Moscow has undertaken to secure all of Iran’s nuclear industry from top to bottom – from the installation of sophisticated equipment to military planning and operational cooperation

Tin Shield can operate independently as an observation and air detection post, as part of computer-aided control systems or as an element in an anti-air guided missile complex, where it carries out reconnaissance and targeting.

If Syria gets this sophisticated system, a Russian-coordinated Iranian-Syrian-Lebanese radar barrier will rise with three serious consequences that go beyond the balance of strength in the Middle East:

1. The 36D6 radar system deployment, if acquired by Syria as well Iran, will confine US aerial operations in Iraq to a narrow corridor hemmed in by sophisticated Russian radar and reconnaissance systems.

2. Its deployment at nuclear sites in northern Iran near the Afghan border will obstruct any American air operation mounted from the north against Iran from Afghan

debka.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Uhh... how effective is this radar against stealth bombers or stealth aircraft?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The other question is is it effetive against stealthy crusie missiles?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
We wouldn't know until US sends a few Tomahawks. Many things sounds good on paper but not in the real world and this could be one of them but for a weapon bought to protect nuclear facilities, it should not be underestimated and they probably chose the best choice they were offered.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
IMHO, I'd be interested to see how effective they are against a Wild Weasel and AGM-88 HARM combo.

They won't use them but once or twice.
Like please turn them on, k.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
IMHO, I'd be interested to see how effective they are against a Wild Weasel and AGM-88 HARM combo.

Actually with the AGM-88E Advanced Anti- Radiation Guided Missile (AARGM) you can turn your radar off and it keeps on coming. So even if they are mobile and scan and run, how effective are they going to be?

The Advanced Anti- Radiation Guided Missile (AARGM) Project is a Phase III Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) program to develop and demonstrate a dual- mode guidance section on a HARM airframe. The AARGM Phase III technology demonstration program is designed to demonstrate that a Dual- mode (passive Anti- Radiation Homing (ARH)/ active Millimeter Wave (MMW) radar) missile can engage and destroy enemy air defenses in the event that these systems “shut- down” or employ other countermeasures.
globalsecurity.org...

Sep

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Sorry didnt mean to post anything.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Sep]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I have a feeling this new radar that Iran seems to have will be probed by UAV’s in the next few weeks or months.
Also you can have very good radars but if you don't have nothing to shoot the stuff down with then envoy the show.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hmmm , this IS interesting , they want to defend there nuclear reactor - which is very obvious as the why.

no , not for what it can produce , but ANY succesful strike against an operating core would result in a complete disaster for the entire area for hundreds of years afterwards - look at chenobyl and the area around it to see what could happen.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
We've been overflying Iran for some time now reportedly. Whatever Russia has been doing, it hasn't been very effective.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I know we have but I think they havent been shooting at our UAV's as it is what we want them to do. Then we could know the capabilities of their Anti Aircraft Missiles.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
According to the Iranians themselves, they've given the order to shoot down anything over their airspace.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
They better hope that UCAVs don't become armed with HARMS any time soon. Anyhow, the US isn't going to mess with Iran anytime soon.

IMHO, I forsee in the near furture, a UCAV Wild Weasel and HARM loaded UCAV doing what current manned flights are doing. My understanding is that the Air Force is working on a Wild Weasel and HARM equipped F-16. One aircraft doing the job that normally took two.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Hmm,

Alright, I would just like to point this out for the future of this thread, stealth aircraft at not, I repeat not invisble to radar, I don't care if its a F/A-22 or a F-117, Stealth merely makes it "harder" for the aircraft to be detected by the radar system. Stealth aircraft can and have been shot down before, by not giving your enemy the same respect you demand, you are just lining yourself up to get one hell of an ass kicking.

As for the radar system, with US threats to their nuclear plants, I am not surprised, I would have done the same, although I am not quite sure how effective these systems are, although based on some of the information off FAS they are designed for objects with a rather small cross-section, coupled with the ability to track low level targets? They may be taking the cruise missile attack as an iminent threat.

I wonder what other weapon systems these guys plan on fitting in to this radar defense screen. On this note, do the soviets have shore based "goalkeeper" anti missile defense systems?

- Phil

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Of course it doesn't make it invisible (well not yet at least) to Radar but seeing as Stealth Aircraft are better suited then regular aircraft one must always ask the question on how capable the radar is against hard to detect targets

top topics

join