It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Brain Disease found in Deer in NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Chronic wasting disease is in the same family as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (B.S.E.), or mad cow disease. It has been found in deer and elk out west and in the mid-west and in two provinces in Canada and now it seems that it has spread to New York also. While it hasn't been proven to cross over to humans they are currently doing research in an effort to determine if that is a possibility. One thing that makes the research difficult is that the incubation period for BSE can take years.

www.nytimes.com
A form of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, first appeared in humans in England after people ate meat from infected cattle.

The leading scientific theory is that Creutzfeldt-Jakob, like B.S.E. and chronic wasting disease, is caused by a malformed protein - called a prion - in the brain.

Only a few known prion diseases afflict humans, and all are fatal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have always felt that the food we get by hunting, fishing and shellfishing, and growing in the garden was better than what I could buy in the grocery store. I could avoid eating food that had been injected with hormones and antibiotics or sprayed with pesticides. Now with this report and the concerns with mercury in fish and shellfish I wonder where we can turn to provide the best for our families.

[edit on 1-4-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Scary, if this disease can make the jump to chicken and pigs, then the entire food chain will be bankrupt.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I know BSE and related diseases habve been discussed here on ATS.

Are these diseases occuring in nature or the product of playing with chemistry and biology? I can't remember.
This is a good find on this issue!

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It is speculated that BSE was being spread via the feed (containing recycled cow parts). It is also speculated that the deer in areas where cattle were being fed this now banned feed were getting into it. Since most cows are slaughtered prior to the time it takes to incubate BSE, it is not showing up in them, but since the deer live longer, it does.

This manifestation in deer may be a sure sign that the banned feed has passed on the disease to our food supply, and the scary part is we don't know if eating the infected cattle prior to them manifesting the disease can spread it.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Very distressing, my daughter just attended a seminar on prions diseases and the truth is that is going to become and epidemic eventually.

Here in the US we don't hear any news about our meat industry having problems with the cows, but if the disease has been found in our wild animals you can bet that is also in our meat sources.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Allow me to be the first to mention John Titor here, just to get it out of the way.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
Allow me to be the first to mention John Titor here, just to get it out of the way.

What it has to do with titor

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Apparently Titor warned about Mad Cow becoming an epidemic in the US (or was it the world?).

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Im a Vegitarian hope that helps, worried about the heads of my cabbages tho.
Its quite simple give up meat products and give your body a chance to ward off most Diseases i.e Cancer, Diabetes, Heart, Help yourself to good health give up the WHITES, white SALT, white processed FLOUR goods, white FAT on meat, white processed SUGAR etc Thats if you care about your self, its your choice. Dont wait for the Epidemic to hit.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Boy I'm glad you didn't say I had to give up my occasional Scotch- Asteroid -- but that is not white so much as brown.
so I guess it doesn't fit in that catagory.

I applaud your dedication to being a Vegitarian -- I don't have enough fortitude to do any strict type of diet like that -- I can do Vegitarian meals once or twice a week but that's about as good as it gets for me.

Just saw a news article on the fact that wild salmon young going thru areas where salmon farms are - are getting a type of lice that kills them -- the farmed salmon are fed antibiotics to keep them from being killed by it but the wild are being attacked. It is a lice that is naturally occuring in the wild but normally the salmon don't get exposed to it until they are older and better able to fight the ravages of it. It seems the only solution is to move the farms to inland lakes or into ocean areas -- but then I wonder if it will somehow effect the native fish population in those areas in an adverse way also.

jm

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
this is not good at all. before the last few years mad cow disese was only realy heard of in brittin. now it is infecting north america. i have only heard of it so far affecting the west. so how does it appear in the east in deer? is this something perhapse done on purpose by parties unknown?

innteresting thought is this pehapse biological warfare? or possibly even a biological warfare experiment that got out? we have all heard of "ecco freaks" who will go into labs and release the poor critters that are locked up with no regaurd for anything that they might be releaseing into the world. we need facts on how this is happening. i don't see how this disese jumping arround could be natural. i would have thought that if it was a natural spread that signs would have been found along the way. not bang here is the disese a few thousand km away.

we also need to kick reserch into this disese and the look for a cure into afterburner. man was not designed to be a herbavore we are omnivors, we need meat.

i find it interesting about all the new worries the last few years. mad cow disese, west nile virus, sars, bird flue, and the "new" strains of flu that have been hitting us hard. also looking just a bit further back we find aids, a disese that has been around apparently then bang we have an epidemic. i don't think any of these are natural, in fact i would not be surprised to learn that they have been geneticaly altered for either weapons or even as reserch tools/experiments. why do these things hit so hard and why so many lately in such a relitively short time span?

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You know member Soficrow has done a lot of research into prions -- I think it is either in Science and Technology or Reach forum. Maybe if we are lucky she will post an insight to your question here drogo. I honestly don't understand how it has jumped such a large area to show up in NY unless it just hasn't been detected along the way by other states in between.

edited to take the extra c out of Soficrows name

[edit on 2-4-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
before the last few years mad cow disese was only realy heard of in brittin. now it is infecting north america.

Chances are good that mad cow appeared first in humans in North America - see www.abovetopsecret.com...

...The disease has been hushed up in all its forms - partly because it takes decades to couse clinically verifiable symptoms. Many establishment doctors still insist that the lesions created by misfolded proteins and cell changes are "usually benign." Pure bull puckey of course.

i have only heard of it so far affecting the west. so how does it appear in the east in deer?

Follow the links from here - there is a LOT of info on ATS. look for a report out of Wisconson Ithink, from the Game department.

Mad Cow Madness

is this something perhapse done on purpose by parties unknown?

It's called a "policy of benign neglect." ...Parties did not purposefully create the situation - but they knew about it - and instead of trying to stop it or fix it, they chose to develop it as a "business opportunity," for profit.

innteresting thought is this pehapse biological warfare? or possibly even a biological warfare experiment that got out? we have all heard of "ecco freaks" who will go into labs and release the poor critters that are locked up with no regaurd for anything that they might be releaseing into the world. we need facts on how this is happening. i don't see how this disese jumping arround could be natural.

Good observations and questions - but bacteria, viruses, spirochetes and everything adapt, mutate and evolve VERY quickly - in nine minutes in some cases.

...Fact is tho - We have changed our world, biochemically and fundamentally - inside our own bodies and in the environment - and microbes are adapting to this synthetic new world much faster than we are. Bioterrorists are NOT required - "nature" is doing it without any help at all. Today, our world is teeming with new disease mutations that cause a range of often unrecognized mild, chronic, and acute diseases. Now, the evolutionary process is coming to a peak. This process no longer can be prevented, but with appropriate measures, it still is possible to lessen the impact.

i would have thought that if it was a natural spread that signs would have been found along the way.

They were.

i find it interesting about all the new worries the last few years. mad cow disese, west nile virus, sars, bird flue, and the "new" strains of flu that have been hitting us hard. also looking just a bit further back we find aids, a disese that has been around apparently then bang we have an epidemic. i don't think any of these are natural, in fact i would not be surprised to learn that they have been geneticaly altered for either weapons or even as reserch tools/experiments. why do these things hit so hard and why so many lately in such a relitively short time span?

Read this - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then study up on cell biology and "actin" proteins. It all will start to make sense to you.

...Also, see Bush Signs Quarantine Orders for Bird Flu

...Sorry - can't be here much these days, but will try to check in and answer questions when I can. FYI - DrHoracid also knows about bugs and prions.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This isn't new about deer, squirrels have it too. Do not eat the brains,etc.

Roper

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Thanks Soficrow for all the links and information --

Good observations and questions - but bacteria, viruses, spirochetes and everything adapt, mutate and evolve VERY quickly - in nine minutes in some cases.

Wow that nine minutes information just blew me away -- I realized it could happen pretty quickly but that is amazing!! So even if they are working on the various situations now after hushing things up and ignoring them (as you say the"policy of benign neglect.") as much as they could for years that could make a difficult situation way more difficult.

Again Thanks for taking the time to come here and provide the information and pertinant links to all your research.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It seems that one of the deer that tested postitive for chronic wasting disease was served and eaten at the Verona Fire Department's Annual Sportsmen's Feast on Sunday, March 13. The local health department said that the people who ate the deer don't have to be concerned about contracting the disease but that they want to discuss it with them and reassure them

here is the link from ScienceDaily
www.sciencedaily.com...

Do you think you would be terribly reassured by the Health Department if YOU ate the deer.

It also seems that the deer that have tested positive are in a couple of different captive herds.
So does that mean that the venison was sold all over to people. I don't know how that works.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
In my area, the deer have been the source of road hazard and the things like ticks that carry desease and all that. And there are plenty of deer.

I say the deer should be drastically culled. People don't want to do this for sentimental reasons, which is stupid. The last thing I want is to have my loved ones infected by the deer because of their overpopulation and the habit to browse the local garbage cans, spreading infection in vicinity. No, I don't eat from the garbage can but the deer do carry ticks.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
In my area, the deer have been the source of road hazard and the things like ticks that carry desease and all that. And there are plenty of deer.

I live in an area like that and have also had 2 tick borne diseases Lymes and (I never get the spelling right on this -- so if it is wrong sorry) babesisos. And I hear the calls for cars hitting deer all the time so I agree with you.

But the new information shows that these deer were in captive herds and not wild deer. So, now, my new question is what the deer were fed? Are they now getting the feed that was causing the problems in the cattle?

top topics

join