It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faultline Raises the Threat of a Super-Volcano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Indy sent me a link to an interesting article...

According to the following report, following a series major earthquakes in the Indonesian region. Scientists now warn that a Sumatran super-volcano could be what is next...

TheAustralian.com Full Article Link

AS if earthquake-ravaged Indonesia doesn't have enough to worry about, now scientists warn that a Sumatran super-volcano might blow its top at any time.

If it does, the blast will toss hundreds of thousands of cubic kilometres of rock and ash into the atmosphere, dwarfing the eruptions of Krakatoa, Mount St Helens, Pinatubo and any conventional volcanic explosion of the past tens of thousands of years.

"These super-volcanoes are potentially the greatest hazard on Earth, the only greater threat being an asteroid impact from space," said Ray Cas, a vulcanologist with Monash University in Melbourne.

Professor Cas said a "major tectonic event" could be enough to trigger a deadly super-volcanic eruption.

The likelihood that the Toba – the largest super-volcano on Earth – will erupt has increased significantly due to geological stresses generated by the recent quakes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope they are wrong.. something like this could have an impact on the entire planet, perhaps even causing abrupt climate change.

I would rather not even speculate at this time.

Scary stuff.

Gazz

[edit on 1-4-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

More on this story is in above link too.......Especially my profoundly angry post

[edit on 1-4-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think helmutt already covered this issue earlier today, linking to that same article.

It's a pretty serious situation, to be sure. I, for one, hope the governments of nearby nations are being honest and direct with their citizens, to alert them to the danger and perhaps even offer relocation assistance. Of course, government agencies are neither honest nor direct in most cases.

One can only hope people realize the danger they're in, so they can make informed decisions.

There's no need to be alarmist per se, but these people should make a choice. They need to decide whether or not they're willing to live in the shadow of a sleeping, disturbed giant, or if they would prefer the relative safety of some nation not in the gunsights of mamma nature.

I personally am up in the mountains in a tectonically insignifgant area, I'm here because I just happened to have business in the area. Now that I'm here, I'm quite thrilled with the beneficial timing of my move. The rest of the world seems to be rather unstable, but all I have to contend with is stray cats and rowdy tenants.

Saftey is an illusion of course, you could get his by a bus or smacked by a falling meteor. But, there is something to say with avoiding obviously dangerous situations. For example, only a fool jumps the fence into the lion pen and starts a conversation with the nearest ferocious predatory feline. For the same reason, only a fool would continue to live in areas that are about a half second away (in universal time) from exploding.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Interesting.

Toba last erupted 70,000 years ago and was the last known super volcano to erupt.

The volcanic winter that followed worldwide last between 5 and 10 years and may have precipitated an ice age.

Human gene "bottlenecks" observed in michochodrial DNA show that modern man came very close to extinction with a worldwide population reducing to as little as 1,000.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Furthur information about the lake Toba super-volcano here:
volcano.und.nodak.edu...

The page states that Toba has an estimated eruption volume greater than that of Yellowstone

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So this would mean the earth itself is actually responsible for something and not human activity or the US government?

Nah...Couldn't be

Seriosuly though, Toba is bigger than Yellowstone, should that thing blow......

It's a pretty serious situation, to be sure. I, for one, hope the governments of nearby nations are being honest and direct with their citizens, to alert them to the danger and perhaps even offer relocation assistance. Of course, government agencies are neither honest nor direct in most cases.

One can only hope people realize the danger they're in, so they can make informed decisions.

There's no need to be alarmist per se, but these people should make a choice. They need to decide whether or not they're willing to live in the shadow of a sleeping, disturbed giant, or if they would prefer the relative safety of some nation not in the gunsights of mamma nature.

.....It really wouldn't matter where you'd go.

(and how realistic is it to move a 2 billion+ people to the other side of the earth)

new topics

top topics

join