It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape of Science under current Administration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
As I read on the CNN site today, the Hubble telescope has been conclusively slated for de-orbit. Coincidentally, I learnt today that due to slashing the budget of natural sciences such as particle phyics, there will be continuous process of reduction of stuff at a particular National Lab.

Fundamental research is one thing, among others, that makes this nation so unique. What America is now, is in many way the product of labor of scores of scientists in every imaginable area of physics, biology, chemistry, math etc etc. The list of American Nobel Laureats is so extensive is, in large part, due to the fact that science in the US was growing in the 20th century, not shrinking.

Now, the best, world class projects are being shut down or crippled, due to flat or declining budgets. This comes against the backdrop of the fiscal black hole aka Iraq.

These are sad days, and what the present administration is doing today will have a deeply negative effect on the quality of academia and research in this country, which will percolate in other areas of life.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I dont really pay much attention to science programs in the US out side of NASA. What I do know is that this administration is bolstering the space programs budget and trying it's best to spark intrest in the american people. As far as Hubble goes yeah it sux we are goin to lose it but i've been reading about some really cool stuff that is up and comming.

I do have to agree that scientific discovery and development in our country is disapointing. I dont think thta it is totally this administration fault though. I mean as far as NASA is conserned the previous administration sure cut the hell out of their budget.

Over all i think the problem is that this country (and really the whole world) is no longer inspired by discovery. I think what this world needs is to get up off its butt and do something like go back to Mars or colonize the moon or hey here is a wild thought explore our own oceans.

new topics

join