It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viewer's Guide to Hybrid Solar Eclipse April 8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
link

Residents in parts of the United States will have a chance to watch the Moon partially eclipse the Sun on Friday, April 8. Within a very narrow corridor that extends for about 8,800 miles, the disks of the Sun and the Moon will appear to exactly coincide, setting up the most unusual type of eclipse known as a hybrid.

Solar eclipses are caused when Earth, the Moon and the Sun line up just right and the Moon casts a shadow on our planet.

On rare occasions, the Moon is at such a distance from the Earth that its pointed shadow is just long enough to touch Earth for only a short distance along its projected path. The eclipse is only total where the shadow actually intersects the Earth’s surface; at other points along the eclipse track, the Moon appears ever-so-slightly too small to obscure the Sun’s face entirely.

From these places an annulus, or ring of the Sun’s surface, remains to be seen, thus there is an annular eclipse. In essence, this is really nothing more than a fancy partial eclipse.

The effect is like a dark penny atop a shiny nickel. The Sun becomes a blazing ring of light at maximum effect.

well space fans...

this will be a great sight to see...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
So who's planning on viewing this? Hopefully a lot of people! Where I'm located I'll be unable to see it, the same goes for a majority of people in the states. Anyway, here's some general information about it in order to help out your observaions.

First off: Never look at the Sun with your naked eye or through any unfiltered optical device (cameras, binoculars, telescopes, etc...).

Unfortunately, the majority of the eclipse takes place over the Pacific Ocean, as you can see below. Though a good portion does pass through New Zealand (where it starts) and in Central and Southern Americas (where it ends).

Here's an eclipse map. Through this you can see if the eclipse, and how much of it is viewable in your area. It looks quite busy, I know, but it is surprisingly easy to read. You can see the line in the center, where there will be a total eclipse, and the lines which extend outwards in increments of 20%. The further you are north or south from that line, the less of the eclipse you have. So people in southern Florida will be able to see about 45% of the Sun covered, while people southern Ohio will barely see anything change in the disc of the Sun.

As for observing this, the best way would be to construct a pinhole camera. This is easy to do, and all you need is scissors and a box (the larger, the better). What is easiest to do is to cut away part of one side of the box (since you're just using this to view the Sun and not for photography, it's okay), since what you'll be looking for will be inside, that's the best way to see it. Other ways include actually getting in the box, but that would just be silly. Anyway, cut a small diameter hole in one end of the box. Point the end with the hole at the Sun until it lines up and casts an image on the other end. Look at that image. Pretty easy, eh? If your box is large enough, you should even be able to see some sunspots.

More Information About The Eclipse
Hybrid Solar Eclipse of 2005 April 08
April 8, 2005 Hybrid Solar Eclipse Webcast
Viewer's Guide to Hybrid Solar Eclipse April 8

EDIT: they see ALL beat me to it: Viewer's Guide to Hybrid Solar Eclipse April 8

[edit on 4/5/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What in the heck is a "hybrid" solar eclipse?

I know about partial solar eclipses and total ones, but have never heard of a hybrid one.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
I know about partial solar eclipses and total ones, but have never heard of a hybrid one.

Pretty much a combination of the two. A narrow corridor where there's a total eclipse, and a wider field extending out from there where it's a partial eclipse.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
yIKES! A little bit off topic, but do you realize the Pope's funeral is on the same day..

De labore Solis
(of the eclipse of the sun, or from the labour of the sun)
Hist.:Karol Wojtyla was born on May 18, 1920 during a solar eclipse.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
yIKES! A little bit off topic, but do you realize the Pope's funeral is on the same day..

Yeah, I really don't know what that has to do with anything. Care to elaborate?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
good...

i am mentioned

this will be a great site...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Yeah, I really don't know what that has to do with anything. Care to elaborate?

It just struck me as an alarming coincidence that this eclipse fits a religious prediction made over 750 years ago. Sorry I interrupted your thread.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

It just struck me as an alarming coincidence that this eclipse fits a religious prediction made over 750 years ago. Sorry I interrupted your thread.

No worries... I just didn't quite catch wat the significance of it was. That's interesting though.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Actully I Watched a eclipse before i watched it threw a welders mask it was kinda cool

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm in new orleans we only got about 20% but I took pictures with my equipment.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Wow, great photo Mizar! Thanks.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i missed the eclipse i was outside from 4-8:00 and i didn't get to see it. maybe i wasn't paying enogh attention and i thought that you could see it in virgina. o well that picture shows me what it looked like. nice pic.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Excellant photo Mizar. Do you have others? If you do and you'd like me to host them, let me know. Also, what sort of equipment were you using?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
That was the extent of the eclipse in our area. I was useing a Meade ETX 90 with an orion sunfilter

the camera used was a Cannon Power Shot A 80. With it on automatic exposure.

I have more pictures but they are all the same basic thing. Its sometimes hard to focus the immage as you can see there is a small sun spot in that picture and it is out of focus. The immage is not at prime.

top topics

join