It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Videodrome Filmed To Rush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
An interesting way to study movie symbolism is to find out if the film was done to music, and then find out which music. Then watch the film in synchronization with this music. Study not only the obvious synchs, but also the coded use of analogy and other alchemical symbolism. For example:

Videodrome was filmed in synchronization with music by Rush, from albums like Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Caress of Steel. The film was also shot to Pleasure Victim by Berlin, and Candy-O by The Cars.

Videodrome synchronizes at the first appearance of a beginning credit. The music should start right when the first credit appears. Another synch point for the Rush albums at least is when Nicky puts the Videodrome tape into the VCR in Max's apartment.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Interesting. Videodrome is my favourite Cronenberg film. I would be very interested to know why it was fimed to this music. What does it add to the film?

I am not familiar with the music mentioned, and as Videodrome is a very visual film with some very striking imagery, how does it change the feel of the movie?

The other more well known synchro track is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon to the Wizard of Oz. I have a feeling that some of Pink Floyd's other album's were synched to other sureal movies but I forget which...

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
There are many reasons I can think of:

1. Musical rythm is an analogy, and similar analogies include illumination, Water element, enthusiasm, flow-state, solvent, beautiful, goddess, queen, mother, matrix, magic mirror, pediment, network, Taurus-Gemini-Libra, and sexy. These are all qualities which excite, lending an illuminative quality to a work.

2. The Water element is the energy behind magic, and a movie is a magic ritual analogy - a programming influence. One ritual taps another for energy.

3. Mirroring another work with one's own work lends a work a highly informative quality, where more information is communicated than is recognized, again lending a work a solvent influence on the viewing personality (the heart melts). Also, two or more works linked in this manner become one programming influence. The works might mirror real world people and their lives, which could be dangerous.

[edit on 3-4-2005 by Scorpio Shaping Flow]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I am not familiar with the music mentioned.

OH! Your missing out bigtime pal! You should look in to Rush's music a bit. its amazing. By far the best progressive rock band that ever existed IMO. I own all of the albums mentioned. Permanent Waves is amazing. Rock on. lol.

I'm on the opposite end of the board here, and know nothing about that movie. nor have i ever heard of it. Whats it about?

(Check my signature for Rush lyrics. good stuff. Neil Peart (the drummer) is a lyrical genius.)

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

You should look in to Rush's music a bit. its amazing.

I may just do that antigov!

But if I try the music, then you must try Videodrome!

Videodrome is an early (1983) movie from David Cronenberg (who has also made Rabid, Shivers, Naked Lunch, The Fly and Crash) and is a great surreal sci-fi movie. It follows Max Renn, a cable TV operator who shows cheapy exploitation who discovers a pirate 'snuff' style broadcast called Videodrome which shows hardcore torture scenes. He gets his girlfriend Nicky (Debbie Harry) into the show who disappearswen she goes to audition for it.
Max slowly gets sucked into the world behind Videodrome, a world where mind control is operated via the Videodrome broadcast.
There is some fantastic imagery and wicked 'body-horror' (a Cronenberg signature) sequences in this film and if you like sci-fi with a bit of bite to it you will like this. If you live in Canada I think it was known as Zonekiller or something, plus, if you really like it there is a great DVD by Criterion Studios just come out and is fully uncut.

It will always be one of my favourite movies, it just has a great 'feel' to it; my wife hated it though!

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Alright, sounds like a good deal. I will do my best to find the movie and watch it. After i do that, i will tell you what i thought of it.

I'm usually not a big movie or TV person. Which would explain why i havent even heard of that movie before. But i like good movies every now and then.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
OK Antigov!

To be honest, I am not a big music person! So we may end up agreeing to differ once we have heard/watched them! But you never know, the new experiences may change our tastes considerably...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah, maybe so. Im a huge music person. I listen to anything and everything that takes talent.

new topics

top topics

join