It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanting to become an astronaut, possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hi everyone, i've been really thinking of trying to become an astronaut for a very long time. But i know one needs a great education to do it. I quit school 5 years ago because of financial reasons, and nasa mainly wants people who are graduates who have had great grades in high school. Now, if i had a chance to go to college and prove myself, and pull off great grades, does anyone think they wouldn't mind being a drop outf, if i had really good college grades? Like it or not, even if i do get a chance to go college, i'll be a ged graduate. Well, my main question is, is my dream shot to hell, or could i at least scrounge it up? I know my eyesite isn't to bad, but would be willing to go for laser eye surgery. And i'm tall enough 5"10'.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If you are prepared to put in the work then i believe anything is possible, if you are working then get a home study course and really go for it. I think u will need to be in great physical shape also so get to a gym and create some pain for yourself

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Quite a few astroauts have military experience, of course - have you considered joining the airforce as a pilot?? The demands are very high, of course, but there aren't many "job vacances" to go around, so NASA can afford to select the "best".

But, don't be discouraged - if you want it, go for it and good luck!!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Its hard to become astronuat I wont sugar coat it they only have a small number of slots and a lot of people try out.

Astronauts go to all kinds of colleges, from community colleges to Harvard. So you dont have to go to Yale or a school like that. But here are some things you will need.

Astronauts must college degrees in science or engineering.Popular fields for potential astronauts: Aerospace engineering, physics, medicine, electrical engineering. NASA looks for people who are doing lab research -- a doctor working in a lab will have better chances than a doctor in private practice.NASA also gives plus points to people who are good communicators -- both writers and public speakers.

You must be able to work well with others as well you will go through a fair share of mental evaluations. You'll also need to pass a tough physical exam so you have to be in shape.

Avoid run-ins with the law -- A criminal record will keep you out of the Corp.

There is always the Navy route as well become a pilot in the Navy and the door can be open to try to become a Pilot astronaut. They require atleast 1,000 hours of experience flying a jet before you can apply.

www.space.com... ronaut_0900.html

[edit on 1-4-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
If you are prepared to put in the work then i believe anything is possible, if you are working then get a home study course and really go for it. I think u will need to be in great physical shape also so get to a gym and create some pain for yourself

Well right now, i'm not in a study course, but I am studying for my ged. By home study course, do you mean like brush up on math and science? I know that nasa looks for that. I was thinking of trying to squeeze into nasa before actually trying to become one. So I can really fill out the job, although college would be a pain for me. But is it still possible for me to actually get a scholarship for the recomandations they want? Btw, i'll be 21 in may, I read the link below and it did say that the deadline is 36. Hopefully i can pull it off by then. Another question, what's the name of the people who actually train the astronauts/ or work with them?

new topics

top topics

join