It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN -- more changes to become a 100% contributor-driven news portal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
After some additional review of the current state of ATSNN, considering input form our staff, the input from existing reporters, and especially the input of members in various threads over the past month, there will be an additional round of changes coming over the next few days. In short, these changes will make ATSNN, a 100% contributor-driven news portal.

Contributor? Well, yes. That signals another subtle change... we're starting to shift our terminology from members to contributors... but that's something else.

In the new system, there are four categories of people who will make ATSNN what it will be.

Contributors: You are the source of material. Your quick work locating important stories and creating submissions will be the core of ATSNN.

Experts: These are contributors who have had 75 upgraded submissions (it used to be 25, now it's 75). New code will scour the history of ATSNN an ensure all contributors are awarded the correct number of submissions since the start of ATSNN... so that means many of you are already experts.

Moderators: The ATSNN forum will now have a moderator staff just like any other forum. However, their job is to keep the peace in the discussion threads, not manage submissions.

Administration: Me, Bob88, William One Sac and SimonGray. We can immediately upgrade submissions and other aspects of controlling submission problems.

The voting system will standardize on 15 yes votes to upgrade to an ATSNN story, and 10 no votes to downgrade out of the ATSNN forum.

A vote by a contributor is equal to 1 vote for both yes and no.

A vote by an expert will equal 2 votes for both yes and no.

And a vote by an Administrator will equal 5 votes for both yes and no.

Every new submission from everyone (even admin) will begin as an anonymous submission. Contributor's submissions will begin with 0 votes while submissions from experts and admin will being with 10 yes votes.

New Features

When you apply a "no vote" you will be able to pick form one of the following reasons for your vote:
- not appropriate for ats
- writing is too biased
- don't like the story
- don't think the source is credible

If you don't yet fell like voting, but want to offer suggestions to the author, contributors will be able to send the following comments anonymously:
- your grammar or spelling needs work
- good story, but your intro is too biased
- good story, but your source is shaky
- your headline could use rewriting

Experts will be able to reward great submissions and great posts with applause. News threads with the highest accumulative applause will eventually appear in an ATSNN "Hall of Fame" section.

Over the past few months, there has been significant concern over what some believe to be a falling-off of ATSNN submission quality as more and more members contribute. I can tell you this, while many of our members are superior writers, ATSNN will never be able to complete on content-quality alone. Our advantage, as it has always been, is the compelling and important follow-up conversation that no other site can match. Every success in ATSNN's history has been news threads with several pages of expanded coverage through quality conversation, collaboration, and debate. This is our advantage, this is ATS. No one does it better than you.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
* Runs off looking for others in staff reck room. *

FredT look out!!!

[edit on 31-3-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Excellent! I love the new changes, hopefully they will lead to a fairer, higher quality ATSNN.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have one question I have 40 plus articles posted to ATSNN but have not submitted any since the new format of voting, so my question is, do my 40 post count or do I start at 0.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
All news threads you authored will count against your total, no matter what your current status is.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Sounds solid

This new system looks fair and efficient. I like the idea of forcing the reason of a no vote.

If you don't yet fell like voting, but want to offer suggestions to the author, contributors will be able to send the following comments anonymously:

That will be great move to keep everyone on topic.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
niiice...

great job...

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I love the news in ATSNN, but lately all the changes has affected ATSNN a lot.

Perhaps this new change will help, but honestly I have mix feelings about it.

I am not a contributor, or anything in that matter, but I like posting on the news thread when the news are worth it.

I hope it work for the better.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I like the improvements, hope it works! I'll probably never be an expert at the pace I'm going heh oh well.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
75 "ATSNN news submissions" does not an "expert" make. Other words might apply more descriptively.

Omitted forethought becoming afterthought:

Structure is a good thing. How can members keep tabs on how many submissions they have had upgraded? What is happening with the "ATSNN Points system" advised just a couple of weeks ago?

[edit on 31-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
75 "ATSNN news submissions" does not an "expert" make. Other words might apply more descriptively.

2 true but what?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
"Other words" don't come that cheap... Neither do 75 voted up submissions

'Nuff said

m...

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
All good things!!

This is what I have wanted to see for a very long time.. A totally Community driven ATSNN.

This makes things better for all!!

Now.. Get your submissions in!!

Gazz

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Will the title "Expert" be added to the Expert's mini bio?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
These sound like solid changed, most especally the means to provide an annon comment as to why a no vote is cast.

onward and upward, eh?!

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I couldn't be more pleased with the changes ATS is making.

If we could mirror this sort of functionality on a national or global level, we'd really have something. I think this will really help ATS.

50 submissions from now, or so, I'll applaud these changes.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Any tom fool can watch the AP releases and post to ATSNN, I say "Hey let's get some original news! When do we get our ATSNN press kits?!?"

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Any tom fool can watch the AP releases and post to ATSNN, I say "Hey let's get some original news! When do we get our ATSNN press kits?!?"

twitchy is itchy... but he speaks with wisdom and a morbid desire to snoop around in the world.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Solid ideas Bill.
I'd applaud you if I could.

When do the changes take place?

When do contributors get to join BP? Expert level?

I think the changes will bring about much needed changes on the level of contributions that the submitters make.

Good job.

regs

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Looks really good.
I really like the four answers why.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join