It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnisirtraehkrad
reply to post by Copernicus

are you saying to you he doesnt look intelligent?. what a terrible thing to say! i think he looks very intelligent.

No, I am saying that even a man who cant speak correctly, spell correctly or even walk can still have a high IQ. Sorry if it sounded like I meant his looks were important - they arent. You cant see on the outside if someone has a high IQ or not.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   

well we will have to agree to disagree on this one since I believe that people with higher IQ's tend to be well read and if you read alot your spelling improves.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnisirtraehkrad

well we will have to agree to disagree on this one since I believe that people with higher IQ's tend to be well read and if you read alot your spelling improves.

Dont assume that everybody with a high IQ are choosing a academic career. I agree that the ones that do will become better at spelling and remembering/understanding information with time. That was exactly what my own experience was actually.

But yes, you said "tend to", not "are", so there is no disagreement here.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I have always seen pictures in my mind whenever I hear or smell something.

I also draw graphs in my head of almost everything.

When I was a kid I used to remember entire pages of text by "folding" the image of it in my mind, linking up certain words or pictures.

After someone told me I had a photographic memory, I started to think of pages in terms of photographs, and then my "photographic" memory was gone.

For the life of me I can't remember how I used to do it.

When I was 10 I picked up my uncle's BASIC programming manual for his IBM PC, and started programming computer graphics.

I started graphing equations on it. Was playing with mathematics and pictures hours on end every day. I was experimenting with an electronics kit, and thought that the heat delivered to a wire was the "average of a million absolute values of a sine wave".

Little did I know that this is a process in calculus called integration.

I was working on 3 body gravity problems soon thereafter.

I was sent to the principal's office in grade school several times. I got swatted (spanked with a paddle) for stealing. I was "borrowing" books that were un-borrowable.

I personally believe that if you have to go to school to have conceptual ideas explained to you (they aren't obvious), then you will never really understand anyway. In matters of imagination, you either have it or you don't. Facts, on the other hand, anyone can learn.

I believe that intelligence is evident not in the things that you know, but in what questions you are asking.

So much of my life has been frustrating, because I look around me and see people who, for lack of a better word, seem to be "asleep". It's as if they're walking around, but barely there, barely awake, their eyes half open and their biological reactions are very slow...

I don't believe IQ tests test anything of importance. I am no more successful than an average Joe. My abilities have always seemed useless in today's world. I was always more interested in fields of study not for what money you could make from them but just because I want to peer into the mind of god.

The funny thing is, I have always felt rather stupid, myself. I push, push push to try and wrap my mind around things that interest me, and fall short all the time.

I was told that I was anti-social as a child. I never wanted to be that way, I just thought all the silly things other people were doing was boring.

That's right, boring.

But as soon as I saw someone play the violin in 4th grade, I was mesmerized.

I remember seeing some kind of polyhedron toy in the classroom when I was a kid, and I obsessed about that thing all morning. I couldn't WAIT to get to recess to pick it up and see how it was put together.

I was spanked many times as a kid for taking apart things like tools, appliances, toys.

I believe education is entirely unnecessary. Make all information available to anyone, and those with higher potentials will grab what they like and run. I never went to college to become anything, I went because other people believed i hadn't proven myself until I had gone.

I find communication with average people to be excruciating. If you are a genius (140), talking to an average person is like an average person talking to someone with mental retardation. If your IQ is 200, then talking to a genius feels this way.

I grew out of my science, physics, mathematics stage when I was 14, and took up art and poetry. Not because I lost interest, I just got so frustrated because the tools of analysis weren't available to me, and I didn't know anyone who I could talk to about it.

Since then, I've gone back and forth through various subjects, from hell, to heaven, and back to hell.

I struggle with depression and loneliness constantly.

It's a strange thing to be in this world, wanting so badly for people to listen, when you know you have something figured out, or want to ask someone what they think about something... but when you speak the world tells you YOU are the one who has got it wrong, and YOUR ideas are boring.

UGH.

So I still daydream. I enjoy hallucinating. I can make it happen almost at will. I lie down in bed, turn off all lights and sounds, and feel myself whoosh into a vast, empty room. From there I hear music, poetry, sounds, feelings.... sometimes my body tingles and buzzes. In the buzzing I hear voices. I swear on my life that I can verify the things they tell me when I come back out from my meditation. My mom told me I was possessed by demons as a kid, those were the voices, sounds, smells, and pictures I was seeing. I started to see them all the time, all day long. She took me to many doctors... some said I was sick, some said I was withdrawn, a few said I was gifted.

I don't tell anyone about them anymore. Today they're mostly my little secret.

Most of the IQ tests I took while in school had a max limit of 140, though there were a few that went up to 200. I have scored as little as 130, but I pegged the needle with one at 200 once.

The psychology of my situation has led me to certain spells in my life where I turned to alcohol or drugs to numb and slow down. Today I would say that I've lost a lot of my perspicacity out of ambivalence, laziness, and drugs. It's hard to keep caring when no one else does.

So hmm... sorry if this sounds depressing. You asked.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by dionysius9]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dionysius9

A lot of us feel the same so you are not alone. Its difficult to be different in a world where meaningless things are seen as important. I dont think you sound depressing at all. Whats depressing is how the world is so dumbed down and obsessed with violence and conflicts, not the fact that some people like you actually realize it.

But there is a change coming... everything points to it.

I do however think that you have to learn how to speak to people that may not grasp things as quickly as you do, and be patient. Otherwise you get trapped in the frustration and start lashing out at people. Everybody may not have high IQ, but IQ is only a small part of who someone really is. I constantly see things I admire in peoples personalities and how they handle themselfs, and by watching others handle situations, I learn something new every day.

Life is not about solving complex math problems, its about making the most of who you are, no matter what you are good at.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I also have a tendency to answer questions by taking a statement, and extrapolating the meaning of it out to infinity, or down to zero, to see how it sounds both ways. This gives me further clarity on what the statement means.

I often have a delay of a split second while a thought goes through my head before I respond to people speaking to me.

Often I don't answer at all, and people find that a very frustrating "personality" characteristic of mine.

I tend to find a lot of things said not worth the time of a reply. I guess this makes me a jerk.

I also spent several years as a teenager trying to watch how other people behave, and grew into the habit of trying to act like them. I practiced so much that I wonder how much of my social interaction today is genuine, or an emulation of the style of behavior I see around me all the time.

I know I am not the same today as I would have been without studying how other people act and behave. I sometimes wonder what it would look like if I turned all the switches completely off and just reacted with 100% natural honesty.

I fear I would be the worlds biggest .... (fill in the blank with any vulgar term meaning "bad person")

[edit on 15-11-2007 by dionysius9]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I wasn't sure what my IQ was, so I did a quick online test, which told me I had an IQ of 142. That puts me in your test bracket, OP.

As I spend most of my time thinking about a) sex, b) money, and c) Star Wars - may I respectfully suggest you amend the original question to ask people with IQs between 143 and 200 how they think.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
ya know, i've noticed that we 140+ iq'rs have a big problem with our own psychology.
i've constantly struggled with certain psychological conditions, the weight of having everyone tell me i'm brilliant etc etc hasn't really helped...

that was really random, but it popped into my head

...guess that's how we think

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yeah dude, the moment you make a single mistake you get the whole "I know you can do better", or "you're smarter than that", or "Nice going Mensa!"

It's freakin' aggravating.

And the better you do at something the more is expected of you the next time around. WE DON'T GET A BREAK!!!

That's why I like to think mainly about girls, and beer*snip*

(Sigh.....Bad Raso')

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think it is funny how people say they are not a nerd because they play some type of sport.

Playing a sport does not change if you are a nerd or not, it just shows that you like being active, or more often that your parents have a large control of your life.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day

174 to 200
0.0099% 1 in 1,000,000
above 174 No limitations Shakespeare, Goethe, Newton

Okay. It appears to me that there are a lot of under-achieving uber-geniuses running around.

1 in a million !!-- that's over 6600.

I'm drowning in mediocrity while these "6600" pick their noses!!

Someone needs to kick them in the butt.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Have taken multiple tests and we'll just say above 120.

First of all, lets hit the base of your question, get the details out of the way (don't think the original post called for a high school debate, just wanted simple answers to a simple question.)

Emotionally -
I am a very emotional person at this point in my life. I am 26, in the middle of a divorce from perhaps one of the world's most unintelligent people and certainly one of the most ignorant, have two children whom each have deep-seeded emotional problems (my son was nearly incapable of maintaining a simple friendship with anyone he'd met in school, in a therapeutic foster home right now which is proving to show great results thus far,) lost my grandmother, to whom I was very close, 2 years ago and my brother, again very close, last November 30th, and work for an ungrateful company. Why do I divulge this? It helps to explain the 'point in my life' a bit. When I was younger (basically right up until my first real job and first child) I showed little to no emotion at all. I felt it all just fine, just felt little need to express it to others. Was a very hard book to read, if you will. Now, I pretty much wear my emotions on my sleeve. Time changes people, intelligent or otherwise.

Anyway, Socially, certainly not a butterfly. I interact just fine with close friends and relatives, and will happily carry on conversation with complete strangers when engaged, but even with my closest friends and loved ones, I constantly wonder what they are thinking. I've found myself, at times, literally trying to view myself through their eyes. At times, of course, this has led to blond moments as I've been so preoccupied wondering what they were seeing to bother to hear a word they'd said. That's a rarity, though, just a fun mental exercise. With those I trust, I'll divulge my deepest secrets, and listen in turn when trusted. Anyone who knows me trusts me just because my reputation shows I'm not one for gossip. Sorry for how random this is, it's just the few traits I've noticed myself, I'm sure my girlfriend could tell you more. I will say I am a bit paranoid, I do not trust many. The odd thing about it is that those I trust aren't always those I've known for very long. In fact, the longer I know someone, the less I seem to trust them. I can only guess that this is do to the fact that the longer you know someone, the more chance to see just how untrustworthy they can be (even down to the little things, not answering a phone call because the ID reveals it's someone they're irritated with then hearing them later tell them 'Oh, sorry, I didn't notice you called'. Small things add up.)

Ideology is tricky...but then, for most I suppose this is true. I believe I know what is morally right and wrong and try to keep my actions as far to the right as possible. I do have a habit of judging others though. When someone from the church down the road knocks at my door at 8 in the morning on my one day off all I can think is how ignorant he must be as I've told him the last three times he's come (same guy) that I have my beliefs and I'm happy with them and that I don't appreciate the constant interruption. If someone cuts me off in traffic while on their cell phone I feel an overwhelming urge to track them down and beat them with a crowbar. I believe pedophiles should be institutionalized for life or shot on sight...well...maybe in the cell once all the evidence has been collected. I don't 'practice' religion, frankly, I don't see the point because as any one intelligent person who has taken the time to read into the current theories and work at CERN and other such installations has figured out, there is an underlying factor to all things, but it is in no way omnipotent or even self-aware. It's simply nature taking its course. 'But who made nature'...come on people, we're all intelligent enough this day and age to at least pose the question...could it have all just...happened?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by x-phile

If that's the statistic, then it's one in ten thousand, not one in a million.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Those statistics of (insert famous persons name) has (insert high IQ)
are crap. Most of those people did not take the test.

The IQ test has time and time again shown to be inacurate and just inherently better for people who are better at taking them.

IQ tests are worthless. If someone is above-average intelligence wise, it is easy to know.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenskeptical

The words "nerd, geek, dork, et cetera," have no contextual meaning at all. What the hell is a nerd? They are just derogatory words made up by lower leveled people who are jealous of someone elses intelligence in my honest opinion.

[edit on 17-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

geek does have a contextual meaning. someone who bites the heads off of chickens for a circus

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is a good IQ test for people to do: IQTest.dk. The best thing about it is that its recommended by Mensa (organization for high IQ people only) on their site, and the fact that its language-independent.

Now, do the test so you can see what IQ you have, but if people start posting their results here, the whole thread will turn into a e-peen contest and people will lie about their results. Completely worthless if you ask me.

Im just posting it so people can do it for themselfs and see how they score for themselfs. Im not going to tell you what I got on it. And please observe the 40 minute time limit.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Well, some...few express same time-spans of blackouts or somekind of overpowering state of imagination which just irrigate the reality away, same experiences I've also have.

Even when I was 7 my mom and dad wanted me to visit a pyschiatrist to talk about my "problems".

But I don't know. I rate everything down to 100 IQ to above 135+ so I don't know what to believe in and I don't care that much - since I'm loitered with heavy cognitive problems. Problems like low concentration, somekind of low energy or whatever, easy angried and I don't like peoples because I don't want to be social. And of course school since the begining peoples wasent kind to me because I didn't want to talk with them - and I laughed at odd things and I sometimes, when I had the curage and will, said something odd.

I have an overactive brain or... strain of associative streams of thoughts that's never really stays down. If you say car and technology or why not water and space I get tons of pictures - NOT words but pictures, and alot of 'em.

so my IQ? Well I don't know and I've done IQ-tests in Mensa, High iq society, tickle and others and man... they've varied frantic all over the scale. Down to mentaly handicaped to creative thinker and word warrior and whatever-warrior/rank.

And since I've had an depression over 12 years I've ought to attracted some heavy damages to my brains development because of young ppls evil.
More is there to fight. I've havent moved on bodily outside the depression so my mind isn't sad but my body is, and that cripples me. Gah, need words for that "illness" or physical handicap. Discripance.

But my emotions are as anybody elses I guess - just abit more fragile and idiosyncratic then others. I might explode with overpowering feelings and forget myself when I write becuse I'm in a room faceless and my existance shown only in binary numbers to you. outside I've atleast the mental concentration outside my own home to know that I better shut up and be quite.

So well... an person who's really intelligent is just more fragile then the rest I believe. That is if the person has a heart.

So how do I feel about school? It's #, not only because of the bullies, but because it's stiff, old, it generates mentally ill peoples and it creates a dangerous "breeding ground" for psychopathes. Whats more is that the school DON'T help peoples in need - I didn't get help up untill I was studying in the eight grade! But Im not unilateral in anyway actually, I've just been treated bad by the school-system and students with all too much individuallistic retarded expressions of their personal characters.

What more is there to tell about me? I got bad grades... naturally. But in very inquisitive and I spend hours a day studying. Don't need to mean that I learn anything because I can't concentrate which tarnish my memory up quite abit.

I don't like greedy peoples.

Peoples who manipulate, or intell-undermine, societies, so wrongly called, masses into some-drought-kind-of-intellectual-life peoples. They #ing deprive peoples of their intellectual life and equality! # I'm made about that one since I just feel such an fear and sadness when someone is damageing another persons quallity of life.

Anyhow. happy bird in ya' hands. foritensum.zzlevo.net...

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Vargas]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Somewhere just under 200. #2 in Cali for a while.

For the most part like the rest of the folks. I developed mannerisms that I think are like the rest of the group, so I somewhat have an ability to relate, though it is a poor mechanism at best. A false personality for the benefit of others. I stay in a state of constant awareness to try to relate to others in a manner they can understand. I find myself angry a lot of the time because I slip up and bring others to my level and its not fair to them at all. I have spells when I can't understand how everyone in a room can be an idiot, and need to be lead around like children, but then I focus again and understand that without my input they would eventually come up with some of the same conclusions over a longer period time. (well may be they won't but it never hurts to be positive) I am sorry a good percentage of the time for hurting peoples feelings, so I am working on not speaking as much, and then just helping people along when they ask for an opinion. Its a lot of hard work to 'fit in'.

I remember the day I bought my roomba and was actually irritated that it took so long to develop and sell. I was also happy to see I didn't have to do everything and that other fairly advanced persons were picking up some of the slack. I still plan on building a few specialized bots in the future when time permits.

Early in life I realized formal education was involved in orchestrated lies and rejected it. I could read at C-3 before grade school so around the middle of the first grade I rebelled. I got the usual warehousing for half a school day to be studied and experimented on. It wasn't long after that I prepared a plan to dumb down the appearance, and purposely generate poor marks so I would be left alone. I learned that my ideas had to be implanted and harvested in others. I still do this quite a bit in the workplace. (It makes our whole group look good.) I work from home but spend a few days a year with co workers and on the phone most of the day. People I work with say i'm like John Nash, which I resent because I am not schizophrenic or into math. I do use a lot of paper though.

I have a strong belief in God and have devoted a large portion of by adult life building a library of printed works that pertain to all of the different paths to illumination. I have studied the ancient, greater and lesser mysteries as well as several forms of religion. As I found truth, the volumes moved to the top of the shelves and as I did not, those volumes moved lower. Over time I became aware that the groups that had the answers did not really have them. I am in the middle of a few years of difficult study and that is the Christian Mysteries. The most difficult illuminative study and the one most frequently left out of esoteric groups due to the difficulty in teaching it. I am currently working on a short work titled: The Illumination of the Healer which is in draft 4 and soon to be finished. I will self publish, and carefully control who receives copies and instruction.

I find the fact that The Secret and What the Bleep were released in the last few years very encouraging. I have a lot of time involved in testing the basic principles as well as some more advanced accuracy testing on some of the subjects covered. I firmly believe that the greatest frontier is not space, but the human mind itself and the associated souls.

Nope. I don't fit in anywhere.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
First of all: stop taking online IQ tests -- they always inflate your score. At least as far as America is concerned, I believe that most people are still tested using the Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale and/or the Stanford-Binet IQ test. If you took some random test on some random website, then you have no way of actually knowing how well you measure up to the multitudes who have taken a more standardized test.

In theory, the bulk of people on this website should be testing at below 140. Only a VERY small cross-section of the population tests above 140 (consider this graph). I realize that there are many intelligent people here, but inasmuch as everyone cannot be "cool" without devaluation of the concept of "cool," we all can't be geniuses without devaluation of the concept of genius.

When I was tested before admission into kindergarten, I had a 148 IQ. While in college and for my own amusement, I took some online tests that indicated that I was somewhere in the 190-195 range. I believe that is an inflated number (and yes, I do understand that scores can rise with age -- I still think it was high for the time). I am completely uninterested in ever being tested again, as I have no ego investment in what I consider a meaningless number.

That being said, to answer your question:

I am constantly multi-tasking and consciously processing multiple data streams. I find it difficult (and boring) to focus on one particular thing at a time. I have no idea if this is abnormal or not, though I suspect that it is.

One thing that I think is abnormal, and especially for high IQ people, is that I do almost no visualization. I do not try to solve things by picturing them in my head -- somehow I just "get it" intuitively without having to go through the motions of actually solving problems. As a consequence, I am weaker at solving spatial recognition/assembly problems than I am at other problems (but I'm still pretty good
). Similarly, I am a musician and was able to intuitively understand how to manipulate stringed instruments (I prefer strings to anything else) long before I was capable of reading music or even having a clear understanding of *why* what I was doing worked. Often I am able to arrive at a correct answer without any knowledge of the normal processes involved in determining that answer and the mystery for me is not the solution itself, but determining what processes would ordinarily be used to solve the problem (in other words, I have a tendency to start at the end and work backwards -- I am not able to explain how I immediately intuited the answer, only that I *know* it is correct).

I have intense emotional reactions. The intense emotions led to problems earlier in my life in which I sought to dull them by any means possible, so that I could make it through my days without breaking down every hour. I am a genuinely and consistently unhappy person.

As for my social interactions... One thing that is not necessarily a result of intellect, but definitely something I deal with regularly is powerful paranoia and distrust of others. I prefer to be alone, mostly sticking close to my family or my long-time friends. I have a very low opinion of other people. This is not because I think I am better due to intelligence issues, but because my default approach to dealing with people is to go ahead and assume they are mean-spirited, untrustworthy, selfish jerks who will sell me down the river the first chance they get. When I take that approach, I am either prepared for whatever they can throw at me, or I am delightfully surprised to be wrong about said people.

Ideologically, I try to live by the golden rule, as all important religious laws can be met by observing it. I never attend religious services. I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

/tn.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by teleonaut]

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join