It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?
I would like to hear from posters who have official test results, and other forms of IQ test.

I was tested at 153 at age four by the USAF. My father was in an intelligence position at the time, and he had me tested as early as possible.

I began attending school on base, and had little trouble relating to my peers for the most part, there seemed to be a little more "order" there than at the public schools I later attended.

Once I moved over to public schools, I became more introspective and shy due to the large amount of bullying and ego driven mentalities I can in contact with. I resorted to "studying my peers" rather than interacting with them in the normal schoolyard fashion.

Since then I have withdrawn from the normal "social spectrum" - mainly due to the fact that I am not intellectually equipped (or socially conditioned) to handle to the day to day "dramas" and power plays I see so readily at the forefront of the modern landscape.

In short - I got tired of being attacked for thinking differently and outside the boundaries of normal human interaction.

It's all about placement - I don't do well in the normal day to day (leader'follower emntality), but excell in environments where free thinking is encouraged, respected and valued.

I also think too much and dwell on things too deeply, which makes me over sensitive at times to competitive landscapes.

Hope this was informative.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
My IQ is 185. I work in the science field, forensics. I am very very good at my job and I am very much in demand. Big deal.

I am a loner and suffer from depression. Some days i cannot even find my truck keys. Some days it is a wonder I can even dress myself. I am not a social butterfly but the few friends I have are long time friends. I do not bounce from friendship to friendship. When I meet new people, unless they get my attention right away, I usually never see them again outside certain social circles.

I live on a farm. So when I am not working at the morgue, I am out doing other things. I cannot sit down and watch certain movies. Romance and other "girlie" movies, for example. And the movies I do watch...like Sci-Fi...I sit and analyze them to try and determine if certain things in them are possible.

I have a strong unshakable belief in God but I do not believe in organized religion.

I could go on but this is the most I have talked about myself in years.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I have a tendancy to have little pity for individuals lack of intelligence. Not in general, but when I have to explain things that I shouldn't have to explain, I get annoyed.

For example, One of my users (I'm an IT guy, big surpprise) needed a printer at his vacation home. Rather than buy one on his own, with his millions of dollars, he wants me to send one to his house on the company dime. What do I care, it's not my money. When it gets there he complains that it's a deskjet and not a laserjet
, then he complains that he can't get it printing. He just plugged it in, and expected everything to "happen". I told him about the CD that came in the box, and that he needed to install it before it would work. Then he says that he can't do it, and needs me to fly out there to do it for him.
. He's coming back from vacation on Friday (2 days). I said, no way, and that's that. I need to find a job where I don't have to deal with people I guess.

George Carlin once said
"If you imagine how stupid the average person is, remember, half the population is dumber than that."

Sorry, maybe I should have posted this in RANT.

Edit: Okay, I've calmed down a little. I appologize for that, and hope I didn't offend anyone.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Is that gonna' be on the test.
Just kidding. Most that test high are conditioned to reiterate facts in a way that is logically sound, which is no real indication of intelligence.
I could pipe a test with weighted answers through a PDA and get a perfect score.

In order to be considered intelligent, IMO, you have to demonstrate an adaptive response to conditions. Not just regurtitate.

I would like to see a personality test included with someone's IQ, because most that test within the accepted high range are quite conceited, but cannot carry out simple conversation.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1spookychick
My IQ is 185. ..like Sci-Fi...I sit and analyze them to try and determine if certain things in them are possible.

I could go on but this is the most I have talked about myself in years.

Thanks for sharing.
In a perfect world. I would like to see you in a group of like IQ'd individuals pondering such concepts. I can only imagine it would be more fulfilling, and more useful to us all.

So don't stop looking!

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I have an IQ of 150, but I don't know how accurate that is because I have depression, and that makes the number go all over. I can't take one from a psychiatrist because I feel pressured and I mess up. I am very insecure and have low confidence/self esteem. I'm not bad looking, but I can't talk to people in person so I doubt I'll ever get married. I feel I can understand things better than my friends and I think about things that other people don't, and I have a more witty sense of humor as opposed to the stupid funny. I scare myself with rediculous thoughts and am very anxious. I'm not writing an essay, so the organization of this post isn't too good. I just typed it as it came to mind. I'm not complaining or whining, either. Just trying to give you as much info as possible. I also see most of the people with high IQs suffer from depression? Interesting...

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I always have problems with over analyzing people, which usually leads to seeing bad qualities
I can get pretty paranoid but I think this is a defensive thing from traumatic situations in the past.
Meeting people is always a great struggle for me, I am too quiet and get frustrated...When I am comfortable I am too loud, my girlfriend thought I was a very quiet person when we first met, besides random outbursts of wit and acting silly with her. Now we spend all the time being very open, noisy, fun loving and basically seeing the world as ours and having a great time about it, annoying a few people as we do so. I see this as a great escape for me, I have a lot to say and I am always quick witted but for some reason I get too uncomfortable with other people.
I definitely think too much, my sleep suffers greatly because of this. I seem to know how my brain works but I am incapable of controlling it, I am very emotional and once I get to a certain stage of sadness I confuse myself by second guessing my own thoughts and end up thinking crazy...I'll be crying one moment then confusing people by acting like a happy lunatic.

I'm incapable of handling pressure well and I am very dependant and need to be mothered by my girlfriend. I think this is because I was deprived of my mother regularly soon after I was born until I was 3 years old, then my disabled brother needed constant attention and I was very lonely until I met her and i'm very clingy.
Because of a struggling family life, social life & an overwhelming feeling that who cares emotions are relative I'm gonna be just as happy if I succeed as if I fail made me mess up at the end of high school after a very positive start. I then went to college and left early because I just didn't care and am afraid to do well by myself. Went to another college a year later and the same thing happened.
My belief is that as smart as some people are, no one is capable of knowing some things...Afterlife or nothingness would not suprise me, who knows, I accept that I am ignorant to some things.

My first post, thanks for reading it those that did. Found the forum on google and it's nice to talk about myself with someone that may understand some of the ways I think. Any comments would be greatly greatly appreciated.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by g4cytheclown
I have an IQ of 150, but I don't know how accurate that is because I have depression, and that makes the number go all over. I can't take one from a psychiatrist because I feel pressured and I mess up. I am very insecure and have low confidence/self esteem. I'm not bad looking, but I can't talk to people in person so I doubt I'll ever get married. I feel I can understand things better than my friends and I think about things that other people don't, and I have a more witty sense of humor as opposed to the stupid funny. I scare myself with rediculous thoughts and am very anxious. I'm not writing an essay, so the organization of this post isn't too good. I just typed it as it came to mind. I'm not complaining or whining, either. Just trying to give you as much info as possible. I also see most of the people with high IQs suffer from depression? Interesting...

Holy #....yeah i think your kind of right, ive had a ton of depression in my life...I'm okay right now, but i still get lonely randomly which makes me extremely depressed quickly.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Interestingly enough I hear a lot of people saying they are depressed even though they have above average IQs...I have to wonder why, given the number of above average IQs showing up here that not one has made the factual statement that depression is not at all relative to IQ? Depression isn't about smarts,looks, money, success or anything else.

Clinical Depression (not to be confused with the general blahs and blues) isn't symptomatic. It's an illness. Neurological misfirings of neurons. Sure if you have a bad day or week you may feel a bit blue but there is no scientific basis or correlation between clinical forms of depression and Intelligence Quotients.

Social Anxiety and Anxiety in a clinical sense are also illnesses although there is more data that substantiates these as being symptomatic and learned responses to situations.

My IQ was last tested over 15 years ago at 143 - 147 respectively (three part scoring test) haven't been inclined to retest. Makes really no difference in my life as most of the time I prefer to be a bimbo

I also suffer a clinical form of depression and have recovered nicely from anxiety and agoraphobia (social anxiety) I don't think personally it's relative to IQ.

Just my 2 cents worth...

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
IQ- 187
Age- 15

I dont think I would think the same as others with higher IQ's, mostly because of the extensive list of certain LD's, infact the place where I got all my testing done said that if it werent for my LD's my IQ would be much higher, but how do I think? I think in a terrifying way actualy which has gotten me many tests to see if I am insane or have boarder line personality disorder, I see things in worst case scenario, which has saved me many a time actualy, for example, 2 years ago I had a skiing accident where I was in the mountains and got hit in the side of the head by a chairlift, I was very much so allone, and how did I get help, I thought soemthing like that could happen so I had flares on me.

But thats not only how I think, sometimes I think to much and hours can go by though, I like to analyze information that is presented to me to the finest details, one of the reasons I actualy failed greatly in school and decided to homeschool so I can spend more time studying things.

It is slightly hard for me to tell anyone how I think, mostly because its just how I think, and how to explain that to people could take hours I would rather spend reading, I am a complex individual once you get to know me, I seem simple, but im really not.

Is this a good enough explanation?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I don't know if I think differently than other people, rather hard to determine IMO.

I do know that while maybe I was "smart" to begin with, my early childhood shaped quite a bit of my learning patterns and thought processes. I just loved any type of puzzle book or science book I could get my hands on and I learned Chess and Backgammon at an early age. I think those three things in particular helped me with my learning throughout my life. I seem to be able to sort through potential outcomes and solutions faster than most which I attribute mainly to the puzzles and chess. Plus I did the nerdy science fairs type things, I built a space station and had a project on Einstein's theory of relativity in 5th grade. Go figure.

I also seem to have photographic memory for bits of information, most of it useless stuff that seemed or was important to me at one time. For example, I used to have a Stat-card basketball game and I can still remember almost all the percentage numbers of all the players still. It also helped me in classes as I would only have to read once and absorb all of the relevant information. The flip side of that is if I was not interested in something, I would almost immediately erase it from my memory. Still I feel if I could get rid of all the "junk" info in my head it would be a heck of a lot easier, lot of clutter up there.

[edit on 30-11-2006 by pavil]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 30-11-2006 by pavil]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My IQ is 219, well, it would be if I was smart enough.
I've never had an IQ test, I'm afraid of two things, they'd find me borderline retarded, or very intelligent. I did test above average for abstract reasoning, mechanical aptitude 99th %ile, and spatial abilities though.

I too suffer from depression a lot, I think it is intelligence related, ever see a depressed retarded person? Ignorance is bliss, and when you think too much and over-analyse things it can get to you.
I'm a loner, have few current friends, and I'm not a socially lubed person.

My only drawback is my ADD, it makes me absent minded, easily confused, and stress prone, and have a hard time paying attention to verbal instruction. Probably why I couldn't make it as an auto-mechanic, despite my mechanical aptitude.
This page shows what the numbers represent:
www.increasebrainpower.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I took one of them silly online IQ test and I'm not to sure if they're accurate but I got a 127, now I know that's far from Genuis, but is it bad?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
I took one of them silly online IQ test and I'm not to sure if they're accurate but I got a 127, now I know that's far from Genuis, but is it bad?

Well average is what, 100 now? so no thats not bad, but then again, its an online IQ test and you can never tell how accurate they actualy are, take a real test, as long as you didnt get 50 on a joke test you really shouldnt have anything to worry about in the low IQ range, probably average to just above average would be my guess.

And if you still have the link, what site was it off of, it might actualy me a good one, or not, but if we could see it, it may actualy be accurate.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It was www.iqtest.com...

It says on the site that it's the most accurate test on the internet. Whether that's true or not, I could not tell you, but it seemed legit though I thought it would be harder.

Where can you take a real IQ test at?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I've been tested since I was 5. Anywhere from 149 to 187.
Am I intelligent ? Who knows. I haven't done anything astounding.
As far as how it affects day to day life. Well...
Emotionally, I swing. Ask my wife.
At my job. This may take a bit..
After leaving the military, I started as a mechanic for a large equipment dealership.
Knowing basically zero about turning wrenches, but understanding electricity, I progressed fairly quick.
The industry was just moving from linkage actuation, to electric-over-hydraulic
actuation.
I got it. Perfectly. Schematics, I love them. Anyway, just a short over-view.
At home. Mood swings were/are still common. I recognize when they happen, as does my wife. She allows my ranting behavior, and comforts me, if I collapse.
My family..hmm...where to begin, there. Well, I'll keep it simple. (KISS rule)
I only speak with my dad. His I.Q. ? God knows. Smarter than me.
Anyway, that's my (not so short) synopsis of my I.Q.

As always, my 2 cent,
Lex

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well, I wake up in the morning and continue to solve the unifying theory of physics.

then I run an average of 8 miles while reciting pi. ( I stop running when I can't remember the digits)

Then I take the rest of the day to watch gumby reruns.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is a really fascinating insight into the world of our ATS member's psyche.

It is amazing how many people describe their emotions in a way which parallels my own. I am shocked, as I was convinced there was something wrong with me!

I find it very difficult communicating with people face to face who I haven't met before - in fact (i live in shared accomodation) I am sitting in my living room and 3 women are in my kitchen, and I'm desperately needing the toilet, but I don't want to run the risk of getting embroiled in a pointless conversation and totally f**king it up!

Social Anxiety exactamondo. I hate large crowds, and don't enjoy parties (unless I've had a few pints of the old dutch courage that is!).

When I was 18, I attempted suicide. I can't even explain why I did it now but it made sense at the time. I think in the last few years I have become more much wiser and I don't let my emotions get the better of me. In fact, I am a very passive person. I have a very dry sense of humor, I love sarcasm.

At school, I was a very disruptive pupil. I was a 'naughty boy' (who wasn't!) and used to get up to a lot of mischief. It got so bad that I refused to learn in the classroom of my 4th year and spent 8 months making models out of the lego technic that was stored at the back of the classroom, or making electronic things, like buzzers that used to chime when someone entered the classroom.

This teacher finally had enough and my parents were informed. Some guy came in and we went to a little room for about 2 hours. He got me to do all sorts of tests and I found them really easy. I found it fun. I had no idea these were IQ tests. My parents told me I was 'gifted' (I remember saying 'does that mean I get more presents at christmas' !!!) It was 6 years later that my parents told me those were IQ tests and they showed me the report. At 9 years old, my IQ was apparently 192.

I've done many of these online IQ tests and all the questions seem pretty much the same - what makes me laugh is you can go back and correct your answers once you know your score, as the questions themselves don't change - I'm pretty sure this defeats the object. These tests also have a maximum level, some of them 140, some even less.

In my point of view, having a higher IQ doesn't imply that you are any more intelligent than the next person. Intelligence comes from life experiences.

I'll give you a real life example:

A little girl aged 6 is being tested. She is shown a picture of a table with only 3 legs. When asked to state what is wrong with the picture, she says nothing is wrong with the picture. When quizzed about her answer, she replies (in the innocence only a child can show!)...My mummy has a table just like that and she puts it againt the wall to stop it from falling over.......

I will say that a higher IQ is linked to mental problems. As I've said, I suffer from social anxiety, occassional depression, even low self esteem - I can't explain why, there is no obvious reason for these emotions but they are there and I have put up with them pretty much all my life.

I have a very small group of friends who are very close. I can go out on the p*ss and meet new people and get on with them really well. However, when I'm sober and meet them again, I'm a totally different person and find it incredibly difficult striking up any sort of conversation with them.

I absolutely hate small talk! I would much rather get into a deep conversation with a person who shares the same interests. On the other hand, I find I have an excellent telephone manner and can talk utter bollocks as long as I can't see them.

I am a deep thinker, sometimes catching myself thinking about many things at the same time which I find really odd as most people I meet can only think about one thinking at a time. I also find it very difficult to switch my mind off - I've heard that some people can simply switch off light a light - I really envy them!!

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I read many of the responces to this post and have many similar attributes. I love puzzles of just about any kind. I love SF movies and/or books. School was pretty easy until I got to Engineering in college. I actually had to apply myself in order to get mostly A... Then I got a little bored and my GPA went down a little.

The thing that I don't share with many of the responders is the depression. I'm a pretty happy person. There were times when I had some issues making friends but now, I'm pretty much friendly with most people.

I grasp situations pretty quickly. I'm great at math but my kids are even better. I love to read and periodically I love to write. Reviews of my writing from outsiders tend to be that they either loved the stories or that they just didn't get it.

I think that I have a pretty easy life. I have a good income, I built my own home and I'm doing OK. I don't really have material things that I want. I just want health and happiness for my family.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join