It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
thelibra broke this thread...I hit the ">>" in myATS and got a gray screen of death. Thanks, Libra, thanks a lot. First you try to ruin the whole concept of a debate by insisting people in slavery and in chains are happy,especially when they're tortured, now you're ruining this thread, too. Next think you know, you're going to attack ATS with a denial of service attack because there's too much free speach taking place here!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
thelibra broke this thread...I hit the ">>" in myATS and got a gray screen of death. Thanks, Libra, thanks a lot. First you try to ruin the whole concept of a debate by insisting people in slavery and in chains are happy,especially when they're tortured, now you're ruining this thread, too. Next think you know, you're going to attack ATS with a denial of service attack because there's too much free speach taking place here!

And it woulda worked too, if it weren't for those meddling kids.

(shaking fist) Curse you, JungleJake. Curse you!!!

(runs off into the night)

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Behold the power of the scooby snacks!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think the I.Q. is only one gauge of measuring ones smarts. I must add to the conversation that it takes a good bit of common sense to go along with the overall measurement. Someone could be well in the range of 140-200 but I think that the greatest minds in history had to use logic and reasoning along with a healthy dose of good 'ole common sense. All these should be incorperated into an overall I.Q. exam. My point is you can have two people both with an I.Q. o f say 175 O.k. Subject one is blessed with it from birth and and is able to think his or her way through a certain problem sets and screws it all up if they cannot glue a pencil together. Now the second person lets say has had to struggle along in his or her thought processes' just a little bit harder than the first but the second person can use common sense not to stick his hand in a pit of rattlesnakes because he deduces (by common sense) he will be bitten. I hope this makes sense to the question.
:

[edit on 15-7-2005 by FLYIN HIGH]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
IQ tests test your ability to take IQ tests.

I've never taken a formal IQ test but I got the highest score on some sort of admittance test for a gifted program in 4th - 6th grades in Burning Tree, Maryland, apparently.

I'm sure there's a bell curve of high IQ personalities the same way there is for low IQ personalities.

Some of them are mild mannered types, some are outspoken radicals. Certainly there is a tendancy to be objective and strategic in your thought processes rather than thinking emotionally and "feeling" out the right answer to something.

I have spent alot of my time as a programmer in software asking almost the opposite question, "how do people of low intelligence think?" The problem is that when you say that it sounds insulting, so please understand that is not the intention, just as your question is not intending to insult the higher IQ folks. My own personal curiosity stems from a political orientation.

For example, I would propose that our current president, actually acts stupid on purpose. It's a strange thing you pick up. For example I was always a smart kid but I went to a public school. You have to learn to "fit in" and "be cool" and this is just as important to some kids as doing well in school is. When I was in college I went through a phase where I did poorly in my classes almost on purpose so that I wouldn't get the other people too bothered. I theorize that Bush went through a similar process in his college years ... he can't REALLY be as dumb as he acts, his father was a former director of the CIA!

Anyways, at least I would wager to say that at least a few of us can actually speak alot better than Bush can in public "um well I uh um what was the question again?" doh!

The intriguing thing in political life is that your voter base has a bell curve of intelligence ... so you really should appear only as smart as necessary in order to win votes. It affects your socialization habits. For example, if I want to get buddy buddy with some union guys I'm going to go hang out in a bar drinking Miller Lite. If I'm at the beach I might stare at hot chicks wearing small bikinis and spend all night at a dance club. If I want to go meet some hyper geniuses I go do a PhD, take quantum computing at the physics dept, and attend the Wolfram NKS conference. These people don't seem to want to go out chasing chicks as much as they would rather stay inside chasing orthogonality principles, cellular automata, quantum gravity, string theory, the solution to AIDS, world peace, and where peas come from. They appear to prefer this over chasing blondes with large hooters ...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Nevermind.....I over simplified my point to complication and upon review had to detract........

[edit on 15-7-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grad_student
IQ tests test your ability to take IQ tests.

I've never taken a formal IQ test but I got the highest score on some sort of admittance test for a gifted program in 4th - 6th grades in Burning Tree, Maryland, apparently.

I'm sure there's a bell curve of high IQ personalities the same way there is for low IQ personalities.

Some of them are mild mannered types, some are outspoken radicals. Certainly there is a tendancy to be objective and strategic in your thought processes rather than thinking emotionally and "feeling" out the right answer to something.

I have spent alot of my time as a programmer in software asking almost the opposite question, "how do people of low intelligence think?" The problem is that when you say that it sounds insulting, so please understand that is not the intention, just as your question is not intending to insult the higher IQ folks. My own personal curiosity stems from a political orientation.

For example, I would propose that our current president, actually acts stupid on purpose. It's a strange thing you pick up. For example I was always a smart kid but I went to a public school. You have to learn to "fit in" and "be cool" and this is just as important to some kids as doing well in school is. When I was in college I went through a phase where I did poorly in my classes almost on purpose so that I wouldn't get the other people too bothered. I theorize that Bush went through a similar process in his college years ... he can't REALLY be as dumb as he acts, his father was a former director of the CIA!

Anyways, at least I would wager to say that at least a few of us can actually speak alot better than Bush can in public "um well I uh um what was the question again?" doh!

The intriguing thing in political life is that your voter base has a bell curve of intelligence ... so you really should appear only as smart as necessary in order to win votes. It affects your socialization habits. For example, if I want to get buddy buddy with some union guys I'm going to go hang out in a bar drinking Miller Lite. If I'm at the beach I might stare at hot chicks wearing small bikinis and spend all night at a dance club. If I want to go meet some hyper geniuses I go do a PhD, take quantum computing at the physics dept, and attend the Wolfram NKS conference. These people don't seem to want to go out chasing chicks as much as they would rather stay inside chasing orthogonality principles, cellular automata, quantum gravity, string theory, the solution to AIDS, world peace, and where peas come from. They appear to prefer this over chasing blondes with large hooters ...

Thank you Libra, I am glad to be here. I think you made some VERY interesting points. Plus you have a funny bone in you as well. I think everyone here has made some interesting points. It is always nice to get other's views on different things. Anyways. I just wanted to say Grad, I think you made an interesting point about Bush. Yes, he may play stupid, but in reality, it may be part of a larger picture. I bet Bush is a very smart man.
Anyways that is all for now.

P.S. Libra, if you can, will you meantion some of the works your family members worked on? I would be very interested in hearing this.

-LOD

[edit on 073131p://555 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
LiquidationOfDiscrepancy: 'How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?

I would like to hear from posters who have official test results, and other forms of IQ test.'

It's a double-edge sword.

Some brief comments...

Who was the masked man that stated so eloquently that bit about IQ tests results only signifying an aptitude at taking IQ tests? The typical IQ test starts to lose any real significance for people falling somewhere in the 120-130 range, declining rapidily with higher scores, and tends to become absolutely useless in the vicinity of 160.

IQ tests are really hardly a measure of intelligence, as they tend to be somewhat specialized in that they overemphasize on a somewhat narrow in focus/vertical set of mostly verbal/math skills.

There are almost innumerable areas in which a person can possess/develop cognitive skills... You could fill an entire thread on that topic.

I've been lucky enough to work with autistic children, many when I first meet them are nonverbal. It is supremely hilarious when the parents take the child to 'get tested' by the typical school district which give these very special children verbal based IQ tests!

Surprising they rarely do well... My favorite was this one especially bright little boy, almost totally nonverbal and VERY self-directed. The lad did not take well to being told what to do... The tester put this huge nut and bolt in front of him and ordered him to unscrew and rescrew it. The look on this kids face! WTH for!? Tester: 'No fine more motor skills...'

Needless to say he scored somewhere in the dumber than a box of rocks range. He was something like 5 years old and knew three computer OSs. He self-taught himself, is fascinated with astronomy, and his parents basically have no idea how smart he really is.

About my IQ self... I might do OK when it comes to dealing with most anything abstract. I might also read eyes, which tends to come in handy with some autistic children.

If you walk away with one single thing from this entire thread... Remember that IQ is only a tool and basically only represents a potential.

If I can be of any help, just ask.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
In grade 6, at the age of 11 or 12, I was told I had a 148 IQ, and was at a grade 11 level educationally.... which I believe, cuz the next 5 years of school literally damn near bored me to death. It was in grade 11 that I studied IQ testing, and learned of its cultural, and economic biases. then, at around 30.... way too late for my liking, I learned that emotional intelligence is a far better predicter of success in later life. IQ tests are actually quite poor predicters of later success.
I don't doubt that one bit........
In 1976, when I was in grade six, 150 was the 'genius' level, so I heard. But a few years later, it was down to 140, then recently I heard 125 quoted... eventually it will reach 100 and we can all be genii..... which even when it was 150 means very little to me.
Heart.
At 38 or 39, at the latest.... I chose to follow my heart..... after being burned too many times by my 'high IQ' brain. It works for me. I feel much better.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Are there any ways of increasing intelligence. For instance there are many books like "Superlearning" which purport to increase mental capacity. Also there was the "Mozart Effect' from a few years back. (Researchers later claimed to disporve the Mozart Effect, but researchers are always disporoving themselves. I'm still waiting for them to find evidence of the health benefits of smoking!
) Anything to it, or only hot air??

[edit on 18-7-2005 by GrandCourtJester]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
not that I'm encouraging anyone to smoke!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandCourtJester
Are there any ways of increasing intelligence. For instance there are many books like "Superlearning" which purport to increase mental capacity. Also there was the "Mozart Effect' from a few years back. (Researchers later claimed to disporve the Mozart Effect, but researchers are always disporoving themselves. I'm still waiting for them to find evidence of the health benefits of smoking!
) Anything to it, or only hot air??

My Psychology teach told me a person's IQ usually increases 10 points, but that is about it. Unless you get used to taking IQ test, then your IQ score may raise, but, I believe you could increase your IQ higher than 10 pts in a life time if you train your mind, and open up yourself to deeper level of thinking. Not just physically.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I belive it to be very possible to increase ones IQ.

In physical terms concider that IQ is the measurement of the mind (However inaccurate the tests are) not dis simmilar to measuring physical strenght. The bottom line is that to increase ones IQ, one must exercise the mind, as with any muscle if you don't use it you will loose it.

Play with puzzels, read, THINK, and dream.

When playing with puzzles and such, only part of the idea is to solve the puzzles, there are other aspects to puzzels.

Think out of the box (some people think that by looking up and seeing the walls of the box, that they are thinking out of the box - while others think that standing up and seeing that there is something out of the box, means they are thinking out of the box - and still others don't belive they are thinking out of the box until they can see the outside walls of the box - and it goes on, and on )

If anyone asks is the glass half full, or half empty?
There is another answer - perhaps the glass is the wrong size.

Understand the workings of the puzzle. Anyone can get to the center of a maze, by simply walking it with either your left or right arm on the wall. However that can take longer than getting lost inside. When you get to the center of the maze, don't return the same way that you came - you already solved that part.

We all know the riddle about coming to the fork in the road, with one question to ask of two men to determine if you should take the left fork or -the right fork, knowing One man always lies, one always tells the truth..
There are two more levels that I have contemplated - with the same pretence.

1) What if there was only one to ask the question of?
2) What if there were no one to ask?

How and why would you arrive at your answer?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
While I am thinking about this topic, another exersize comes to mind.

If you play chess, resonably well, and have someone you are comfortable with to work with.

Game 1 - Standard game, ect.

Game 2 - after setting up the board, rotate the board counter-clockwise 25% - so that instead of sitting behind your pieces you have them to your right - Then play - Without rotating or tilting your head to compensate for the rotation.

Game 3 - after setting up the board, rotate the board an additional 25% from game 2 - so that instead of sitting behind your pieces you sit behind your opponents pieces - Then play - Without rotating or tilting your head to compensate for the rotation.

Game 4 - Opposite of Game 2, but with your pieces on your left. Then play - Without rotating or tilting your head to compensate for the rotation.

After working this on a counterclockwise rotation, try it with a clockwise rotation.

This will assist you in spotting flaws in your stratagy, as well as develop your skills, understanding and perception of the game.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I am unemotional and detached from the world, the only emotions i display are happyness, or nonchalllance. I was always the kid who would rather read a book then go do what the other kids were doing, or hang out and chat with my friends, rather than go to a club/bar with them.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I think to answer this question we must consider the several variables involved in intelligence.
Intelligence can be displayed in more than one way depending on the person's natural gift. ie. some people have a mind that can process information at a extremely fast speed and do for example maths sums mentally and very fast. others may be intelligent in that they are able to think beyond the limits of normal people, what i mean is that normal people are able to think one or two steps ahead, but these people are able to think up to 6 -7 steps ahead.
There are many other forms of Intelligence.

People with diff forms of intelligence think in diff ways.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dancer
While I am thinking about this topic, another exersize comes to mind.

If you play chess, resonably well, and have someone you are comfortable with to work with.

Game 1 - Standard game, ect.

Game 2 - after setting up the board, rotate the board counter-clockwise 25% - so that instead of sitting behind your pieces you have them to your right - Then play - Without rotating or tilting your head to compensate for the rotation.

Game 3 - after setting up the board, rotate the board an additional 25% from game 2 - so that instead of sitting behind your pieces you sit behind your opponents pieces - Then play - Without rotating or tilting your head to compensate for the rotation.

Game 4 - Opposite of Game 2, but with your pieces on your left. Then play - Without rotating or tilting your head to compensate for the rotation.

After working this on a counterclockwise rotation, try it with a clockwise rotation.

This will assist you in spotting flaws in your stratagy, as well as develop your skills, understanding and perception of the game.

Those are excellent suggestions. I have read some studies that suggest that, though you have as many brain cells as you will ever have by 18, new 'pathways' can be opened up by regular stimulation of the brain. This is how patients can recover from serious strokes. It also suggests that 'intelligence' can be increased.

Another interesting question might be "is there a difference between intelligence and the mind'. There is a difference between the mind and the brain ie. of the software hardware variety.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm glad to know that the concept has proven merit. I have NEVER heard of anyone suggesting anything like it, I mentioned it to a few colleges of mine and got rather strange looks .

I do agree that there is a difference between the mind and the brain.
(The brain being a tangibility, and the mind being abstract).

I don't know if there is a difference between Inteligence and the mind, it makes sence that there should be. ie. the capacity of a container vs the amount of content in the container.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In some yoga teachings ( I have a love/hate relationship with yoga), mind is assocaited with the 4th chakra , and intelligence with the 5th. Consciousness is even higher, and located in the 6th. Hence the Upanishadic verse, "as the mind is above the senses(senses being the 3rd chakra, or 'nervous system', being the brain), so is intelliegence above the mind".

Of course evereybody concentrates on bulding a stronger mind. Perhaps it's like the difference between AM and FM, creating more amplitude, instead of higher frequency. if modern psychology has taught us anything, it's that the mind is a very screwed up piece of equipment. The mind gets the facts straight, but misses the point. It can't see the forest for the trees. It wrestles with the same old problems that Solomon wrote of in Ecclesiastes. It schemes to get it's own way, but things seldom work out as it plans. Life remains a mystery to it.

The mind is pre occuppied with answers, but what if the 'way' you think is more important than having the right answers. What if the right way of thinking makes answers irrelevant?

"Nobody asks what a melody is about."
-Marshall McLuhan

[edit on 25-7-2005 by GrandCourtJester]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Interesting concept.
Causes me to wonder if the right way of thinking causes infalibility with the answers.
eg. The cold calculus of reason - would remove self interest from corrupting the answer - if that is in itself humanly possible.

I think Solomons tribulations are there to show us our inclination towards human failing and what can come to pass as a result of them, in a manner that would allow those wise enough to learn from the mistakes of others to avoid some of lifes pitfalls.

I think if Everyone was interested in building their minds, there would be a lot less garbage in the world.

"- Those who fail to learn from history are cursed to repete it..."
I don't know who said that but it has come to be one of my favorite quips.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join