It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The election of the next pope..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Technically any male member of the catholic church is allowed to become pope. Therefore I'm throwing my hat into the ring for the candidacy. So you devout catholics...... please pray that i become pope

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Umm...I'm pretty sure you have to be a priest to even be considered as a candidate.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
No you don't......it's any catholic.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Well.....any Catholic male.

ask.yahoo.com...

" While any Roman Catholic adult male is technically papabile (i.e., able to be elected Pope), for centuries only Cardinals have been elected."

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
they should jsut do away wthout a pope.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Don't they usually pick a bishop or some other high ranking catholic to fill in the spot?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Francis Arinze
The Nigerian cardinal, a leading church figure in Africa, is a close friend of the pope's and has performed a crucial role in improving the Vatican's dialogue with Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu groups. His conservative theological orientation fits in well with the current Vatican climate.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Does this dark horse fit into the St. Malachi prophecy in anyway. I wonder if they will try to steer clear of that to disprove it.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think Father Arinze is the leading candidate. As for how he fits into the Malachy prophecy, it's always hard to know. He's like Nostradamus in that things sometimes only make sense afterwards. I believe the next Pope is to be "The Glory of the Olive". So, you can take your pick of of ways to interpret that.
On a more mundane, political level, I think the Church would look towards a Pope from the third world because that is where Catholicism is growing fastest.
I, too, have the feeling JPII hung on (and is still hanging on) for a particular reason known only to him and to God.
joey

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Cardinal Arinze would be WONDERFUL! He has lots of common sense
and he is very well spoken.

We met him once. He held my daughter and blessed her on the day
she became an American citizen.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I believe that God guides the Cardinals in choosing the Pope. It is a sad day that we are now talking about this.

John Paul 2 we love you! I have heard tens of thousands of teen agers shouting that. That is the way I feel too.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I was under the impression that Jean-Marie Lustiger was one of the front runners in the papal race? He would also fulfill the prediction of Malachy by being "The glory of the olives".

www.nieuwsbronnen.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Would it not be better to respect the man in these trying times and not make lite of his condition, not that trying to seriously confronting things matters anyway as witnessed by the Schiavo case..but let the man be dead before you cross boundries of hilarities.....I am not even Catholic and I am concerned for the man deeply as a human being.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeMoreCynical
Well.....any Catholic male.

ask.yahoo.com...

" While any Roman Catholic adult male is technically papabile (i.e., able to be elected Pope), for centuries only Cardinals have been elected."

Hey interesting trivia question , was John paul 2 the only none roman to be elected .....is the fact he is from Poland a unique situation, how has the blood line played in the election processes?

[edit on 1/4/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
Hey interesting trivia question , was John paul 2 the only none roman to be elected .....is the fact he is from Poland a unique situation, how has the blood line played in the election processes?

No, but the first in about 500 years.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween

Originally posted by drbryankkruta

No, but the first in about 500 years.

Wow really , thanks i hadnt known there was another out of towner taking residency in the vatican before John Paul 2..............I was confused if that was a fluke or had presidence set in history.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
For what its worth, the usual tendency is that the people expected to get elected never actually do.

new topics

top topics

join