It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army To Produce Comic Aimed At The Middle East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The US Government, is inviting applications for a company or individual to develop a comic book aimed at reaching the youth in the Middle East.
The US Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg will be collaborating with the US army to publish the Comic.The SOC is home to the Army's 4th Psychological Operations Group, AKA "psy-op warriors." The group is schooled in marketing and advertising, or as some call it propaganda techniques.

news.bbc.co.uk...

US army to produce Mid-East comic
The US military is planning to win the hearts of young people in the Middle East by publishing a new comic.

Jalila, a brainy Levantine scientist and fighter for justice
The army comic may encounter competition from Arab superheroes created by an Egyptian publisher
An advertisement on the US government's Federal Business Opportunities website is inviting applications for someone to develop an "original comic book series".

"In order to achieve long-term peace and stability in the Middle East, the youth need to be reached," the ad says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When these eventually are released I would like a few copys. I'm a comic fan but IMO this whole thing stinks.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm a comic fan as well, but seriously - there is no way the Army will create a comic that is even close to DC or Marvel (or any of the many others...) in terms of art and writing quality, so i can't image they will be very good.

i'm sure they will end up as a sort of colector's item anyway. collectors love oddities.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
its just unbelievable how the us gov is trying to spread their propaganda... when is an arabian going to read a comic?
Thats crazy. Maybe the Army have to translate the KORAN into a comic, make an Arab Disney Wold and exchange Mickey Mouse with "Surih the Sahara Snake", or just build the next twin towers in Bagdad and name them "Allah's left & right arms" - no comment...

[edit on 31-3-2005 by bulgarian]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
i'm sure the comic will be as successful as those Anti-smoking comics when i was a kid
all they did was get me hooked on comics,

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil
there is no way the Army will create a comic that is even close to DC or Marvel (or any of the many others...) in terms of art and writing quality, so i can't image they will be very good.

The thing is, the US Army is taking applications from a companies or individuals.
What if Marvel or DC decide to jump on this project. I don't think they would, but who really knows these days.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
The thing is, the US Army is taking applications from a companies or individuals.
What if Marvel or DC decide to jump on this project. I don't think they would, but who really knows these days.

Good point. I guess we will see.

Most every man has his price... so i'm sure with enough money they could get some big names.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I remember reading about a comic that had already been distributed to children in Iraq that was written and drawn by one of the soldiers over there. I did a quick google but couldn't find anything. I did findThis Article which might be informative but not what I'm talking about.
Maybe someone else can find it?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bulgarian
its just unbelievable how the us gov is trying to spread their propaganda... when is an arabian going to read a comic?
Thats crazy. Maybe the Army have to translate the KORAN into a comic, make an Arab Disney Wold and exchange Mickey Mouse with "Surih the Sahara Snake", or just build the next twin towers in Bagdad and name them "Allah's left & right arms" - no comment...

[edit on 31-3-2005 by bulgarian]

Why wouldn't an "Arabian" read a comic?

Comics are made and sold all over the world. There is no rational reason to assume Arab children wouldn't enjoy them as much as anyone else.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Unfortunately, given the abysmal track record of previous recent propaganda attempts including the loathsome "Hi!" magazine, this is destined for the dustbin of expensive Bush administration propaganda "winning the hearts and minds" failures. But that's OK, it costs the neo-cons nothing, all taxpayer expense, no meaurable outcomes, no accountability.

Why not give it a go, you might ask?

Yes, with a different creative team at the helm of government.

top topics

join